SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
totally not c70 related other than being another convertible....

obviously not a hardtop, not a 4 seater, no volvo swedish design/safety...

but as someone who got the c70 as his 1st convertible and thinking about what i'll replace it with in 3-4 years, i was thinking miata vs used boxster. when the newest "ND" miata was released, i was slightly disappointed. love the lightweight but just didn't love that front end with the sharp creases. love the boxster in every way except price tag and maintenance. just too much guilt with 2 school aged kids, mortgage and future school tuitions, etc.

the fiat 124 spyder seem to the answer! miata handling with italian styling, touch nicer interior and luggage space...and more power/torque via turbo (and probably a cheap ecu tune for even more power). sure excited to test drive next year

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/18/2017-fiat-124-spider-official-photos/

·
Registered
654 Posts
So, you figured out that the family never actually rides in the C70, so you don't need the rear seats? Big difference. No way would a 2 seater work for us. Not only is it short on seats, but we bought the biggest 4 seater we could afford. Mmmm, Bentley.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, we have 3 other cars in the household (wife's prius, mother-in-law's accord, and odyssey minivan). so getting to ride in daddy's convertible is pretty rare -- a few weekends, i might get one-on-one time with one of the rascals if the other has a birthday party or something. and the rare date night with my wife.

by the time i'm ready for the next convertible, they'll be close to being out of car seats and can sit in front with me :) if we didn't have the minivan, a 4 seater with decent trunk like the c70 is definitely more practical.

So, you figured out that the family never actually rides in the C70, so you don't need the rear seats? Big difference. No way would a 2 seater work for us. Not only is it short on seats, but we bought the biggest 4 seater we could afford. Mmmm, Bentley.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Our back seat has been about the pups...Katie, the Scottie for 13 years and now Suzi, the crazy girl. We had a Miata for 9 years(pre-dog years); but I think if we went for a Fiat convertible, it wouldn't be the Fiata, it would be the 500Cabrio. I don't really see us going that small(we have the 500L, a pretty cool car); but never say never. I hope we don't need to choose a new convertible for a while. The dealer network might be a bit of a concern with the Fiat, also. We're good here in Austin for now; but a whole bunch of decent sized cities don't have a dedicated Fiat dealer. Dang.

Oddly, everybody and his brother made convertibles for a while...now, not so much.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I'm seriously considering a 124 Spider for my next car. I already own a Fiat 500. Had it for the last 4 1/2 years and it's been wonderful.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have to say that the new Miata-based 124 Spider looks pretty cool! I had a '73 124 Spider shortly after college, and obviously the new car will be several worlds better in terms of reliability! In just a few years of ownership (I bought it in 1978, and sold it in 1981), I had to completely redo the cylinder head (due to totally shot valve guides (not just the stem seals, but the actual metal sleeves), and then a year or two later I actually melted a hole in the top of one piston! Plus, this was in the Chicago area, and I drove the car in the winter (even using snow chains on occasion), despite the road salt. On winter nights, when it was real quiet, I could go out in the garage and actually hear it rusting! Sort of a Rice Krispies, "snap, crackle, and pop" sound.... Put it this way: the Fiat made my previous car, a '68 Triumph TR250 (TR4 body with TR6 engine) seem like a paragon of reliable transportation!

But when it was running, it was very fun. High-revving engine, a nice 5-speed (with the typical long Italian shift lever), the real wood steering wheel, air horns, and the nice (for the time) cloth top. It also had the classic Italian driving position, with the steering wheel fairly slanted/flat, and positioning far away, so you had to drive with your arms held out straight. I seem to recall that there was even a small upholstered shelf/bench behind the seats, that a small-to-medium-sized dog could lay in.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great story. love the "actually hear it rusting!"

I have to say that the new Miata-based 124 Spider looks pretty cool! I had a '73 124 Spider shortly after college, and obviously the new car will be several worlds better in terms of reliability! In just a few years of ownership (I bought it in 1978, and sold it in 1981), I had to completely redo the cylinder head (due to totally shot valve guides (not just the stem seals, but the actual metal sleeves), and then a year or two later I actually melted a hole in the top of one piston! Plus, this was in the Chicago area, and I drove the car in the winter (even using snow chains on occasion), despite the road salt. On winter nights, when it was real quiet, I could go out in the garage and actually hear it rusting! Sort of a Rice Krispies, "snap, crackle, and pop" sound.... Put it this way: the Fiat made my previous car, a '68 Triumph TR250 (TR4 body with TR6 engine) seem like a paragon of reliable transportation!

But when it was running, it was very fun. High-revving engine, a nice 5-speed (with the typical long Italian shift lever), the real wood steering wheel, air horns, and the nice (for the time) cloth top. It also had the classic Italian driving position, with the steering wheel fairly slanted/flat, and positioning far away, so you had to drive with your arms held out straight. I seem to recall that there was even a small upholstered shelf/bench behind the seats, that a small-to-medium-sized dog could lay in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts