SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to share that AC was not working on my 2016MY XC90 right before I took it in for 60K service. They said the evaporator broke. The cost to repair is estimated to be over $3000. It is just out of warranty. I contacted Volvo trying to seek help. also heard evaporator was on back order with no definite release date.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i am happy to report back that VOLVO agreed to cover the repair. It is now fixed and working well. Just a warning to all MY2016 owners, watch for signs of this part breaking - chemical smell at the start, uneven cooling at different vents etc... before warranty so you do not have to go through what I have to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was told, to get access to the evaporator, they have to take the entire front apart hence the exuberant labor cost. The part is only several hundred dollar I think.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Makes me wonder how many have failed because of the much cheaper (and easier to replace) external temp sensors was not working properly. It's my understanding that the external temp sensor should shut off the a/c when outside temps are lower when freezing can occur. Just had my temp sensor replaced for the second time on my 2016 T6.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The whole dashboard comes out, plus a whole lot more. It is a big job.
Whoa...this makes me glad that I have the VIP extended warranty up to 120k miles, but you can bet that I will not be keeping the car a single mile beyond that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They do not think it is related. I was told evaporator was cracked in the middle, whatever that means. I am not very technical in cars.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
just FYI, my sensor were replaced at 30K miles too due to AC issue.
The temp sensor wasn't replaced due to an AC issue, the AC not working was due to the incorrect reading from the temp sensor.

This thread is about a leaking evaporator. That isn't due to the ambient temp sensor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i am happy to report back that VOLVO agreed to cover the repair. It is now fixed and working well. Just a warning to all MY2016 owners, watch for signs of this part breaking - chemical smell at the start, uneven cooling at different vents etc... before warranty so you do not have to go through what I have to.
I'm having the same problem. My 2016 XC90 has been in the shop all summer because my a/c hasn't been working. They've replaced the rear evaporator twice and now want to replace the front evaporator. I've been told that I am responsible for $2600 to cover the breakdown to get to the front evaporator if that isn't the problem. Sounds like Volvo has an issue in general with this part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
your post make me shudder... are you saying there are more than one evaporators and all of them can break? I can not imagine. I hope my car stays good from now on in AC department. is yours out or warranty too?

also based on the factor the part was on back order, it is a sign this is a wide spread problem. I got lucky to have a part as soon as I did, not because the one they ordered for me arrived, but because they happen to have one from a previous order they did not use for some reasons.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine is out of the standard warranty but we had an extended warranty. I just received a call from the dealer that the Front evaporator is out of stock. Over the past 3 months...this Volvo dealer has had my car for ~9 weeks. Unbelievable. I'm moving on to another brand of car that has multiple dealerships in my area. There's only 1 Volvo dealer in Austin and they are worthless. Love the car. Hate the dealer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We have a 2017, and the exact same thing just happened to us. I brought it in in March because I noticed the uneven cooling in vents, and was at just over 50k miles, so out of warranty. But before they could give me a final diagnosis, I took the car back because they were going to need it for a few more days and the world had started shutting down, and then they were closed for a couple of months, so it is now back in, and sure enough, they said I need a new evaporator and the cost is about $3500. I called Volvo Customer Care and started a case, so we will see what they say.

ETA: They said it was the front evaporator (so I guess that means there is more than one) and it involves tearing apart the dashboard. Good times.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a tangy, Elmer's glue scent coming out of my vents during startup when the A/C first kicks on. Is this the chemical smell you're referring to? My dealer suggested it may be antifreeze due to a small leak that was just fixed, but I know what that smells like and it's not that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
geez, another thing to watch out for. Appreciate you sharing your story, I'll be following.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts