SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 XC90 T8 (Plug-in hybrid). A week or so ago the back-up camera stopped working, came back on, stopped again and then other electrical things like child locks activating etc. started happening so I took the vehicle into Volvo. They called me back the next day and said there was a leak into the passenger footwell that had corroded "all the wiring" and that I should call my insurance as the car was "not repairable"!!! The bill to get this news was $ 700. I said that didn't make sense as I had never seen water (have weather tech mats and the leak is obviously under them). I told them to remove the carpets etc. see if we can dry it out and find the source of the leak (they hadn't located it as they said it didn't matter because they didn't see a reason to charge me more when the vehicle won't be repaired). Today (with the bill now over $ 1000) they told me that the leak is from the sunroof (cassette assembly). The leak supposedly ran behind the interior and settled in the passenger footwell. They also said all recalls have been done so there is "nothing they can do" as it is not related to a defect. They repeated the advice to call my insurance. When I suggested this was crazy as there is a known problem (as detailed in several threads here and elsewhere on the internet) they said they had already discussed with the service manager and they said again there is nothing they can do. They said I could call Volvo Canada if I wanted but that they think my best option is to call my insurance since the car is not repairable. This is still a very expensive vehicle and seems impossible but here I am. Any thoughts, ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is interesting because I have recently started encountering leaking from sunroof into my center console when I go thru car wash or heavy rain (infrequent)... I wonder if this is a design issue on the 2016 xc90s...

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
490 Posts
That is interesting because I have recently started encountering leaking from sunroof into my center console when I go thru car wash or heavy rain (infrequent)... I wonder if this is a design issue on the 2016 xc90s...
Not sure about design issue, but a known issue. We just had the whole sunroof cassette replaced ourselves.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Just my 2 cents here. Before you contact your insurance agent I would recommend you read your policy in detail. As an example, homeowner insurance in California protects homes from water entering the house if there was damage to the roof or structure. But they do not cover slow leaks. In other words something had to fail allowing the water in. So be careful how you present it. If it has been leaking over a period of time then you did not exercise due diligence and allowed the damage to occur versus just water getting in and then fixing the problem. Insurance is like that. They often do not allow for negligence or extended periods of time. So read first. Sounds like you keep your car outside at night? I know that I had to state whether or not my cars are kept in the garage or outside when applying for insurance. Just saying. Hope you are able to get things taken care of. It sounds like they are saying a lot of rust has occurred suggesting that lot of time has elapsed. Sometimes you can replace the harness or attempt to repair the harness. It would be costly to have someone do it but if you can do it yourself that is also a possibility. Think about how many cars are damaged in accidents and then repaired. Again best of luck.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
pretty sure some 2016s were recalled for sunroof leaks.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
When a parts is flawed, either from design or manufacture, they use improved parts later, but they don't recall the old parts.
They wait for those cars to hit the problem, get damaged, charged for repair out of warranty, or miss the chance to fix and die from it.

This is why the reputation of car industry is very bad.

Sunroof is designed to work for cars out side when raining, parked on declined and inclined hill roads and drive ways.
IMO All flawed parts will fail and should be replaced when revised parts is proved to solve the problem.
Luxury car owners should be treated better than economic cars. The car price should already cover such replacement (if not a recall).

OP, you probably should find as many MY2016 owners as possible and file a class lawsuit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's a hard pill to swallow, reaching out to Volvo Corporate will be nothing more than a waste of your time. they don't measure performance via satisfied customers, they measure via dollars saved.

In my experience, it's a well-mannered individual whose goal is to make it seem like they are assisting, seem being the keyword.

2016, meaning you just probably popped out of warranty... that's my experience as well, if funny how many people on this forum seem to have issues right out of warranty.

**Despite being manufactured all over the world, new owners did not hesitate for a second to impose their methods of operation.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My16 XC90 T6 leaked from the front driver side and damaged some electronics 8 months after factory warranty. Engine couldn't turn on until couple tries, dash showed ignition on after turned off engine, climate control didn't work and numerous pop up messages on dash. Dealer found out water under driver carpet which caused all the problems. Extended warranty didn't cover water damages. Dealer quoted $1300 labor to take out the parts just to find out what's damaged and suggested me to claim insurance. I contacted Volvo and Volvo took care of it except I was responsible for the extended warranty copay. I would suggest to reach out to Volvo and see if they could help you out. If you are the first owner and your car always serviced at the dealer, the better chance Volvo will provide a goodwill.

·
Registered
835 Posts
This is why I tell noobs not to buy the 2016... thanks to all the early adopters who sacrificed for the rest of us and bought the infamous "First Year Model."

·
Registered
593 Posts
This is why I tell noobs not to buy the 2016... thanks to all the early adopters who sacrificed for the rest of us and bought the infamous "First Year Model."
I believe sunroof leak is not MY16 specific.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I believe sunroof leak is not MY16 specific.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Correct. According to the TJ for the updated seal, it can be up to structure week 22 of 2017 for XC90, XC60, V90CC and V90.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Op, this is great news. Have the insurance total the car, pay the $1000 deductible and get a fat fat check for a new T8 SPA with all the fixings in time for Thanksgiving! Cha-Ching.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2016/2017 model reaches the end of warranty now, and more and more Sun Roof Leakage got reported. Wonder when Volvo will become honest, and admit it's their bad craftsmanship.

My 2017 began to have this problem too. I never realize that Sun Roof Leak could cause such serious damage. :(

Have you contact the Volvo Customer Service yet?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts