SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my two previous XC90's (2007 and 2013) I had a two-piece rubber like mat in the cargo area. I liked it except for the fact that there was an overlapping edge / seam that kept them together that would get knocked apart by sliding things around.

I've probably used the third row seats (in those past cars) maybe once or twice - this time around I decided to purchase a one-piece cargo mat (that in effect covers the third row seats). This eliminates the issue of keeping two pieces together.

Volvo now offers a two sided mat: one side textile (which matches the floor carpets) and the other rubberized - for my vehicle I ordered P/N 39842843. One of the nice things about this mat is that it has an integral piece of fabric stitched on to cover your bumper to protect it from scratches, etc.

In following posts I'll upload some (mobile phone) photos of the mat installation as well as what's under the cargo area - while the T8 has the same cargo area as the T6 under the floor boards there's a lot less space!

(The photos were taken in the garage at night - quality not so good.)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Cargo mat - rubberized surface up and integral bumper protector cloth

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Close-up of the bumper protector cloth folded back

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Cargo mat - textile surface up

The bumper protector cloth is under the mat. This is the way I normally leave the cargo area.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Part number 39842843

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Storage area under shopping bag holder deck

One the left is the storage area for the T8 charging cable (where the card is). On the right is a Volvo warning triangle from one of my previous XC90's. It is larger than the space in the rear door so I put it here - it has velcro that grabs onto the surface to hold it securely in place.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Under the charging cable storage location

This is what is below the charging cable storage location - no spare in this car - here is where the compressor and tire repair kit is - note that the third row seats are quite close ... being blonde I hope they stay clean over time. (I think the one piece cargo mat may help with that.)

·
Registered
127 Posts
In my two previous XC90's (2007 and 2013) I had a two-piece rubber like mat in the cargo area. I liked it except for the fact that there was an overlapping edge / seam that kept them together that would get knocked apart by sliding things around.

I've probably used the third row seats (in those past cars) maybe once or twice - this time around I decided to purchase a one-piece cargo mat (that in effect covers the third row seats). This eliminates the issue of keeping two pieces together.

Volvo now offers a two sided mat: one side textile (which matches the floor carpets) and the other rubberized - for my vehicle I ordered P/N 39842843. One of the nice things about this mat is that it has an integral piece of fabric stitched on to cover your bumper to protect it from scratches, etc.

In following posts I'll upload some (mobile phone) photos of the mat installation as well as what's under the cargo area - while the T8 has the same cargo area as the T6 under the floor boards there's a lot less space!

(The photos were taken in the garage at night - quality not so good.)
Thanks for the pictures! This is with the third row down, correct? Is the mat still usable with the third row up? We will probably have the seats up 90+% of the time, but I would like to get something for the cargo area.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pictures! This is with the third row down, correct? Is the mat still usable with the third row up? We will probably have the seats up 90+% of the time, but I would like to get something for the cargo area.
This IS with the third row down - as I will rarely, if ever, use those seats.

I have stuff piled in there now - and I also have the cargo cover in place. I'd suspect that you could curl the mat up 90 degrees if the seats needed to be raised - but it is pretty stiff (because of the rubberized side).

You'd have to check the accessories site (sorry - don't have link handy now) ... but I think there's either a smaller version of the mat I purchased (for when you have the third row seats up) ... or there's a version with two pieces (where you can remove one when the third row is up.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I did the 2 piece one since i do you my 3rd row, i dont like that there is nothing that keeps the mats together in the middle. It does have the rubber back and the flap like the 1 piece. If you put the 3rd row up, the mat barely fits behind in the trunk area, you have to bow it to fit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is very informative. None of the Volvo photos or videos show close ups of the break in the 2 piece.

I'm strongly leaning towards the single piece mat for my T6 as we rarely use the 3rd row and my primary goal is to keep beach sand etc out.

Have you ever tried bending it up if you were away from storage and wanted to use the 3rd row in a pinch?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
This is very informative. None of the Volvo photos or videos show close ups of the break in the 2 piece.

I'm strongly leaning towards the single piece mat for my T6 as we rarely use the 3rd row and my primary goal is to keep beach sand etc out.

Have you ever tried bending it up if you were away from storage and wanted to use the 3rd row in a pinch?
The mat that covers the third row is flexible and can be stowed in the rear cargo area behind the third row in a pinch but it must be bent to do that. It's not optimal for those that regularly use the third row. In my case I really did not care for the plastic three piece mat. It felt very flimsy as it's just molded plastic and not solid rubber. So even though it can latch together and it can be used with the pieces all stowed behind the third row, I still went with the textile mats. I keep the third row up most of the time as I do use it a lot and I store the extra mat in the garage until I need to carry something. For those that are ultra worried about dirt and stuff, the full cargo liner is the way to go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I don't think I was very clear. I'm specifically interested in using the single piece textile mat (designed for 2 row only cars) for my 3 row T6 as I rarely use the 3rd row. I'm wondering if that big single piece can be arched or bent to fit behind the 3rd row in a pinch (like if I wasn't someplace I could easily store it)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
We have the one-piece mat, we have a 5-seater. It can certainly be bent against the 3rd row seats
without loosing too much cargo space. The picture shows the mat bent up without forcing the arch
to be minimal, if objects are placed on the mat the arch can even be smaller. I couldn't show it inside
the car, so I put the mat against a wall. You can download the picture here:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/wjhvfn
PS: We really like the mat and so does our dog :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have the one-piece mat, we have a 5-seater. It can certainly be bent against the 3rd row seats
without loosing too much cargo space. The picture shows the mat bent up without forcing the arch
to be minimal, if objects are placed on the mat the arch can even be smaller. I couldn't show it inside
the car, so I put the mat against a wall. You can download the picture here:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/wjhvfn
PS: We really like the mat and so does our dog :p
Wow! thanks so much for the pic, exactly what i was looking for! Ordering one now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got the single piece 5-seat textile mat for my 3-row T6 and it's perfect! It was hot here in LA last weekend and we went to the beach and it kept the sand out of the folded 3rd row gaps. When we got home, I pulled it out and shook off all the sand.

It's easy to fold up in case the 3rd row is needed (and in fact arrived tightly rolled up). The material is great - a slightly thicker but still luxurious version of the floor mats.

@Zahra, thanks again for the pic!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a piece of carpet I bought at Home Depot and used in my XC70. I got it out and put it in the XC90 to see how it would fit. With some trimming with heavy shears, the carpet now covers the entire area with both the second and third row seats down. Easy to roll up when not in use. And it rolls up partially if you have the second row seats in use. The carpet is grey but for the few times I need it, the color is not an issue. So for about $25 you can have a nice cover for the back of your XC90. Pick a black carpet, do some trimming and everyone will think you got it especially made for the Volvo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts