SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is out of warranty now due to high mileage. The sunroof was leaking on the rear cargo area. Dealer wants to charge me $1256 plus tax to the TJ31272 work, just resealing with new adhesive. I feel it is ripping off but seems no other choice. Just want to ask if this price is reasonable or not. I believe there should be some other 2016
Cars that need to fix the leaking out of warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Not reasonable. I would call Volvo or a news reporter.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
My car is out of warranty now due to high mileage. The sunroof was leaking on the rear cargo area. Dealer wants to charge me $1256 plus tax to the TJ31272 work, just resealing with new adhesive. I feel it is ripping off but seems no other choice. Just want to ask if this price is reasonable or not. I believe there should be some other 2016

Have you contacted Volvo Customer Care for assistance? If you are the original owner, you should be able to get some relief or offset.

I would bypass the dealer and work proactively and professionally with Volvo Corp., escalating if needed.

I think the entire job requires about 10 elapsed days - mainly for the sealant to be applied correctly and dried thoroughly. It sounds like a tedious and slow process. Depending on hourly rates, the amount does not seem unreasonable, but there should efforts made to obtain Volvo offset - regardless of the warranty status.

I respectfully disagree with calling a news reporter. You will likely burn up any and all of the good will from Volvo. Just reflect on what your desired outcome is - fix your sunroof at reasonable to lower cost or ...

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
It is manufacturer flaw and Volvo should share the cost.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
It is manufacturer flaw and Volvo should share the cost.

Sure, it is a flaw. One cannot declare
that the dealer’s estimate is unreasonable. That is probably what their investment is based on their shop rates for 6-10 hrs of work, plus materials.

Getting the dealer to help make the case to Volvo while the owner makes a case for assistance is more constructive than the other suggestion. A dealer’s good will should be treated with care.

Again, OP would be best served by starting with Volvo Customer Care and asking the dealer to help make the case with the Volvo rep based on the known issue. This is especially if bought new as first owner. If OP is a subsequent owner, the case may be more difficult but still worth making to Volvo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
933 Posts
Not reasonable? Based on what?

It is a labor intensive job. Labor isn't free.
It is a known issue that should have been addressed when the car was under warranty. Labor isn't free, but Volvo Corporate should pay the dealer to do it like any other warranty job.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Not reasonable? Based on what?

It is a labor intensive job. Labor isn't free.
It is a known issue that should have been addressed when the car was under warranty. Labor isn't free, but Volvo Corporate should pay the dealer to do it like any other warranty job.
If a problem doesn't occur when under warranty then it isn't addressed under warranty unless there is a service campaign or recall.

The problem happened out of warranty. You can argue for goodwill but that doesn't mean the price quoted is unreasonable. A dealer cannot just repair this and say "It's on us since this is a known issue". That's not how it works.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
It is unreasonable for buyer to pay for known flaw made in factory.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Have you contacted Volvo Customer Care for assistance? If you are the original owner, you should be able to get some relief or offset.

I would bypass the dealer and work proactively and professionally with Volvo Corp., escalating if needed.

I think the entire job requires about 10 elapsed days - mainly for the sealant to be applied correctly and dried thoroughly. It sounds like a tedious and slow process. Depending on hourly rates, the amount does not seem unreasonable, but there should efforts made to obtain Volvo offset - regardless of the warranty status.

I respectfully disagree with calling a news reporter. You will likely burn up any and all of the good will from Volvo. Just reflect on what your desired outcome is - fix your sunroof at reasonable to lower cost or ...
Excellent Advice. Goodwill goes both ways. My experience has been that most manufacturers will pony up if you approach them in a positive way. If you try and embarrass them or act in a disparaging way, they or we will behave in the exact manner you don't want.

·
Registered
300 Posts
How badly do you want the sunroof to open? Why not just tape it shut with some 3M 8672 polyurethane tape? Water will never get in again, and the polyurethane won't deteriorate in the sun (It's used for aircraft wing leading edge protection, so it goes on smooth and is almost invisible. DON'T use OTC duct tape!!!!) Even at $3 per foot for a 3-inch wide strip, that's a lot cheaper than what the dealer is charging you.

Up to you. But as Tech says, it's a used car and out of warranty at this point, so it's entirely your choice and your money.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How badly do you want the sunroof to open? Why not just tape it shut with some 3M 8672 polyurethane tape? Water will never get in again, and the polyurethane won't deteriorate in the sun (It's used for aircraft wing leading edge protection, so it goes on smooth and is almost invisible. DON'T use OTC duct tape!!!!) Even at $3 per foot for a 3-inch wide strip, that's a lot cheaper than what the dealer is charging you.

Up to you. But as Tech says, it's a used car and out of warranty at this point, so it's entirely your choice and your money.
Basically I never used it. Just opened it a few times to check if it worked. This is a good idea to try. I am waiting to see how Volvo responds.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Basically I never used it. Just opened it a few times to check if it worked. This is a good idea to try. I am waiting to see how Volvo responds.

I'm assuming you have checked to be sure all the drain lines, etc. are free from leaves and other debris, and the water isn't somehow backing up....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm assuming you have checked to be sure all the drain lines, etc. are free from leaves and other debris, and the water isn't somehow backing up....
Before the leakage, I noticed some rain water was poured down to ground when I opened the rear door. Since the leaking happened, I tried to check the drain lines but could not see any lines or holes on top of roof.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If a problem doesn't occur when under warranty then it isn't addressed under warranty unless there is a service campaign or recall.

The problem happened out of warranty. You can argue for goodwill but that doesn't mean the price quoted is unreasonable. A dealer cannot just repair this and say "It's on us since this is a known issue". That's not how it works.
That's the problem, it should have been included in a service campaign or recall long time ago.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i was at the dealership today getting warranty work and there was a nice lady there and she had the same problem. she had a 16 that she has parked outside. 4x she has had it brought in. this is her second seal replacement in 14 months. man i pray that aint going to be me.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Other than a leak —- any ways to identify the defect?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I have a 2016 and never had any sunroof leaks so far. Knock on wood lol 🙌

·
Registered
543 Posts
Generally, the leak may show itself when parked on an incline during rain. The original "gutter" under the sunroof could not accommodate the amount of water that will flow in such a position. By the way, the roof is not intended to be 100% water tight, hence why there is a "gutter" with a drain line. Others have encountered an issue where the drain line could be pinched or otherwise compromised, but this was largely reported in early 2016 productions.

I had the "sunroof" fix within two weeks after purchasing my CPO and have not had a recurrence.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Other than a leak —- any ways to identify the defect?

Not really a way to detect it before it happens - if it ever happens. Not that I would do it, but one could: (1) make absolutely sure that the sunroof, windows and doors were closed, and (2) dump a 5-gal. bucket of fresh water over each corner (drain ports/tubes) of the sunroof - simulating a heavy downpour. Check the respective “A” and “D” pillars, roof liner and cargo area for dampness or water droplets.

I understand that one or more of the drain tubes may be pinched - the right, rear in my case.

A heavy rainstorm with car parked on a slight angle where the vehicle’s “front to back” slopes down may be the best/worst way to experience it.

A subtle leak can be evidenced by a (temporary) water stain on the rear “D” pillar, and possibly water drops in the cargo area on the right-hand side. YMMV. Some owners reported more obvious leaks.

The leak in mine was a very subtle, one-time occurrence and I had it fixed immediately. It took ~10 days in the shop for parts (seals) and a tedious and laborious process for the techs.

I was given a brand new T6 as a loaner and 100% fixed under warranty. My vehicle has never leaked since that one time in ~ May 2016.

Lastly, patience is a virtue as it takes time to clean, apply and dry. Hounding the techs to get your vehicle prematurely may saddle you with a recurring problem.

The benefit of these forums is get a heads-up from others’ experiences. Although this problem is more rare overall than what is reported here, most SS members do their best to keep others informed without much drama or embellishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 34 Posts