SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2016 took some front end damage last week. I haven't received an estimate back from either the body shop or my insurance company yet, but I'm wondering what the insurance experts on here think: repairable or a total loss?

It is a First Edition with 72k miles on the clock.

From my initial examination of the car there is damage to both front wings, the hood, the bumper, both front wheels, both headlights, and the front drivers side tire has also been destroyed. The impact has also turned the front wheels past their normal turning circle, so much so that the power steering is no longer functional - so either the power steering pump has been destroyed or the steering rack has been destroyed . . or both. I am assuming there is also some front left corner suspension damage.

As far as I can see, there is no frame damage, there were no fluids leaking and no airbags were deployed.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
574 Posts
But for the crazy used car values, my guess would be that the car should be totaled. There will be plenty of hidden damage beyond what you can see. I anticipate that you have a 360 camera and that there is likely damage to the condenser and radiator even if there are no leaks. Further, given the nature of the hit, I would not be surprised if there was some unibody/frame damage.

Reactions: NFARVW and VolvoUhu

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Thats ****ed bud.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
That looks totaled to me with all that damage on a 6 year old car with 72k miles. Heck, what does each of those headlights cost?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think you might be alright and not totaled. Just from a quick glance I see: Hood, bumper, fender flare, headlight, front sensors. The sweeping action of the hit instead of INTO the car probably saved you a bunch of problems (airbags, etc.). The radiator and its surrounds look fine. Doubt you have any front frame damage. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ugh - sorry this happened. Seeing you're in NE Seattle, have it checked out at Cook's Auto Rebuild on NE 85th. They are Volvo certified and did a great job on our 2018 when it was rear-ended.

·
Registered
844 Posts
That looks totaled to me with all that damage on a 6 year old car with 72k miles. Heck, what does each of those headlights cost?
List is $2500, but they go for about $1500 new.

...If it comes to it, I’ve got a left listed in the classifieds, but no right. I also have a grille (though maybe not the right one) and maybe one of those wheels that I’ve not yet prepped for sale.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ugh - sorry this happened. Seeing you're in NE Seattle, have it checked out at Cook's Auto Rebuild on NE 85th. They are Volvo certified and did a great job on our 2018 when it was rear-ended.
I got it towed to Cooks directly from the scene of the accident!

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
List is $2500, but they go for about $1500 new.

...If it comes to it, I’ve got a left listed in the classifieds, but no right. I also have a grille (though maybe not the right one) and maybe one of those wheels that I’ve not yet prepped for sale.
So that's $5k in headlights alone - this car is totaled.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
So that's $5k in headlights alone - this car is totaled.
I would thinks so as well depending on how the insurance company appraises the value and judges the repair costs - it's all about cost to repair vs. value and nothing to do with how good/sound the repair is (most insurance companies don't care about quality of repair, just cost to them). I had been rear ended 1.5yrs ago and just an extensive list of parts swap for new parts (I went subrogate route with my own insurance and had them go after GEICO ;) for reimbursement to avoid them cutting corners on me if i'd gone direct). Even got more out of them in terms of rental vehicle - took almost 50 days given some of the parts needed. Anyway I didn't even need paint or body work but everything was replaced with new Volvo parts including the newer Volvo foldable tow bar to factory painted bumper cover, etc added up to $16k in total work done. This looks far more extensive. With the damage described to the steering and suspension alone it likely includes significant mechanical damage under the hood. Sorry to see this and I hope you (OP) have a good outcome!

·
Registered
66 Posts
All the electronic & lights in that front end plus the front end, hood, fender, possible wheel and suspension damage equals potentially a lot. Still let the insurance adjuster have a look. If it is totaled be sure to include the cost of significant recent purchases like wheels, tires, etc. And look at comparable sales.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Not gonna speculate on whether it's totalled or not, but did it still start? The ECM is under the left front headlight. So that could significantly add to the cost to repair.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not gonna speculate on whether it's totalled or not, but did it still start? The ECM is under the left front headlight. So that could significantly add to the cost to repair.
Yes, I was able to start it and (eventually) back it up from under the trailer. There were many warning lights, the power steering did not work, and I cannot recall whether the air suspension was raising or lowering.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It cost geico $11k just to replace/paint driver door panel, front driver wing, one headlight and bumper involving a 2-3 mph collision with OEM parts. I’m guessing this is going to be at least $20k. There’s likely hidden damage.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
$16k before they looked at the suspension or steering. So it was declared a total loss. Bummer. Now I have to go looking for a replacement this weekend!!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Bummer but any good coming out of this? Is the replacement of equal value or can you get a new vehicle?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts