SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 XC90's front driver side tire is wearing down, almost seeing the tread mark. Other three tires are still fine. Can I replace just the front two tires? These are the original Pirelli tires. Car has about 28,000 miles.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I replaced all my tires at about 24K (Pirelli offer me 15% toward another set...which I impolitely declined). Sad to say, but the factory Pirelli Scorpion tires are junk. Not sure why you would see one tire wear like that (probably an alignment issue), but, it might be worth finding a dealer that has a Hunter check drive machine. You can drive it through and it will read your alignment and determine if there are issues.

https://www.hunter.com/inspection/quick-check-drive

You can call Hunter and they will tell you if there is someone in your area. At my local dealership they do not charge for the check. The (bad) alternative is to assume that the alignment is off and have it aligned for $150-200 Most places operate this way as the setup of the alignment must be done to do the check.

One other option for you on the tires. You may want to skip replacing both tires had order a replacement from Tirerack. They can shave the new tire to the same depth as the existing tire so that you can just replace one. I suggest this so that you can use up the existing tires and then replace the full set at when they are shot (shouldn't be too much longer given the many bad experiences here with Pirelli's noted on this site). I have moved on to Michelin's as a replacement tire. Strange tread pattern but much better tire in every respect:

Cross Climate
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=CrossClimate+

Here is some info on tire shaving:
https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Shaving

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced all my tires at about 24K (Pirelli offer me 15% toward another set...which I impolitely declined). Sad to say, but the factory Pirelli Scorpion tires are junk. Not sure why you would see one tire wear like that (probably an alignment issue), but, it might be worth finding a dealer that has a Hunter check drive machine. You can drive it through and it will read your alignment and determine if there are issues.

https://www.hunter.com/inspection/quick-check-drive

You can call Hunter and they will tell you if there is someone in your area. At my local dealership they do not charge for the check. The (bad) alternative is to assume that the alignment is off and have it aligned for $150-200 Most places operate this way as the setup of the alignment must be done to do the check.

One other option for you on the tires. You may want to skip replacing both tires had order a replacement from Tirerack. They can shave the new tire to the same depth as the existing tire so that you can just replace one. I suggest this so that you can use up the existing tires and then replace the full set at when they are shot (shouldn't be too much longer given the many bad experiences here with Pirelli's noted on this site). I have moved on to Michelin's as a replacement tire. Strange thread pattern but much better tire in every respect:

Cross Climate
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=CrossClimate+

Here is some info on tire shaving:
https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Shaving

Good luck!
Thanks a lot for the info.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My 2016 XC90's front driver side tire is wearing down, almost seeing the tread mark. Other three tires are still fine. Can I replace just the front two tires? These are the original Pirelli tires. Car has about 28,000 miles.
If you are almost seeing the tire tread mark (2/32) then the tire is toast. You can replace both tires on an axle and leave the others. Generally the manufacturer will recommend that the new tires be placed in the back, but check to see what Volvo says. Shaving the tire is done typically in racing applications and can help with some uneven wear. As I understand 28,000 miles on your tires is pretty decent. Likely problem is alignment. Check that out before you add new tires. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are almost seeing the tire tread mark (2/32) then the tire is toast. You can replace both tires on an axle and leave the others. Generally the manufacturer will recommend that the new tires be placed in the back, but check to see what Volvo says. Shaving the tire is done typically in racing applications and can help with some uneven wear. As I understand 28,000 miles on your tires is pretty decent. Likely problem is alignment. Check that out before you add new tires. Let us know what you find out.
If there is a significant discrepancy on tread depth, and the car is AWD, shaving is important to prevent the AWD system from having issues. a 1-2 32nds won't cause a major problem, but one tire at 11/32 and the rest at 6/32 can. Tire rack is one of the few place that will shave, and if you don't want to replace all at once, it's a good option. The obvious downside is you're effectively wearing a brand new tire down to the same level as your old tires, and will experience the life shortening that the old tires have already experienced. That's why it's important to check your tires (pressure/wear) routinely, so you catch this kind of thing before one tire is significantly more worn than others due to pressure/alignment/etc. You always want to replace all at the same time, as it's less expensive in the long-run.

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Would recommend you just get a full set of new tires and get the car aligned. You most likely don't have a lot of life left in the other three tires with 28k on them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Would recommend you just get a full set of new tires and get the car aligned. You most likely don't have a lot of life left in the other three tires with 28k on them.
I agree with this. I'm at ~23K on my Pirellis and the front ones are at 4/32". The rears have significantly more tread, but I'm using it as an excuse to switch to Michelin Premier LTXs. With an AWD system, it's best to replace all four at once and you should get your alignment checked after the tires are installed.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If there is a significant discrepancy on tread depth, and the car is AWD, shaving is important to prevent the AWD system from having issues. a 1-2 32nds won't cause a major problem, but one tire at 11/32 and the rest at 6/32 can. Tire rack is one of the few place that will shave, and if you don't want to replace all at once, it's a good option. The obvious downside is you're effectively wearing a brand new tire down to the same level as your old tires, and will experience the life shortening that the old tires have already experienced. That's why it's important to check your tires (pressure/wear) routinely, so you catch this kind of thing before one tire is significantly more worn than others due to pressure/alignment/etc. You always want to replace all at the same time, as it's less expensive in the long-run.
Yes, I think tire shaving can be beneficial especially in racing situations. However, take a look at what the OP said about the driver side front tire. He implies that it is almost worn down to the tread mark. I am assuming he is talking about the 2/32 wear limit markers that are on almost all tires. I cannot imagine that this tire has evenly worn? If it had that is really strange. So most likely it has worn on the outside face. So he would need to align the car (determine what was off). I suggest that given that scenario that he is better off buying at a minimum 2 new tires for that axel. You bring up a good point about the AWD. Does Volvo say that all tires must be in equivalent depth for the AWD to function properly? I read my2017 T8 and it recommended replacing all 4 tires to maintain dynamics, but gave no more details. Also note that the Volvo TPM system did not warn the driver. That means that most likely the side is worn but not the overall tire? Otherwise would it have picked up the different circumference of the tires? Shaving a tire when you expect to keep the vehicle seems like a real waste to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts