SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
End of lease 2016 T5 XC70 AWD (40,000 miles base no roof t-tec) and was going to buy it for $22,000 but found a CPO V60 Drive-E Premier (one owner clean Carfax) with 18,500 miles for $20,000.

Practically and economically, what do you think is the wise choice?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Is the XC70 a true T5 or DriveE 4 cyl.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's AWD so that means it's a 5-cylinder 6-speed

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
The V60 is a little more updated than the XC70 but is quite a bit smaller and the one you are looking at appears to be FWD so those are things you'd have to decide are important to you. Also, the car you're coming out of is a known commodity but the other one you're looking at has really low miles and probably has sunroof and leather. If it were me I'd list the pluses and minuses for both cars to try to come up with a consensus. I know which one I'd pick.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Originally, I very much preferred the bucket seat of the S60/V60 series over the seat in the XC70. Unfortunately, for MY16 they apparently did something to the S60/V60 where they feel like they left only a very thin padding between the surface of the seat, and the hard frame inside, on the regular (non-sport) bucket seats. The sport seats in the S60/V60 kept their padding, but I can see the leather wearing out much sooner on the larger side bolsters with the repeated entry-exit motions. So for MY16 I prefer the XC70 front seats overall.

For MY16, the BLIS feature was only available on the XC70 as part of the Platinum package. On the V60 I believe it was available in all trims, either as a stand-alone option, or as part of a package. Plus with the V60 radar-based BLIS, I think you also got cross-traffic alert when backing out from parking spots. This last feature was never available with the camera-based BLIS in the XC70

On back-to-back test drives, noise from cross-winds seemed higher on a MY16 S60 sedan over the MY16 XC70.

Range of stereo options was about the same(?).

On steering feel, I would rate the XC70 AWD 5-cylinder, and the V60 AWD 5-cylinder, at about the same level of "meh", with a vague/sloppy center feel. I wonder if this may be one of the reasons that you are looking at other vehicle options? On the S60 FWD 4-cylinder drive-e cars that I have driven, the all electric steering assist results in a much lighter steering feel, but it has a better-defined "notch" at the center, which I like.

Although a relatively rare event, a few S60/V60 have had issues with glass sunroofs that shatter suddenly with very little warning. Sometimes even when driving. In all fairness, in forums for other car brands you will see sporadic reports of similar events. No such problems with the all metal roof in the MY16 XC70 base model that both you and I have, knock on brushed, dark satin silver dashboard trim. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wayne T5, which one would you pick? (curious) - Makinen5 - Actually, I drove a lot of V60s (i dont think they were drive e's though) a couple years back to compare to my base XC - Even though they were premiers, I actually felt "back at home" getting back into the base XC, so I guess I made my choice -just a temptation to get a nice V60 with such low miles at a similar price - in terms of steering feel, the 2016 T5 to me feels pretty good, similar to the T5 S60 and V60 drive train - much better than the XC70 T6 - the 2016 T5 XC feels lighter and more nimble than the T6 and bigger and more substantial than the V60. Looks like I'll stick with the "last of its kind" - 2016 XC70 last big affordable Volvo wagon - the new V90 - V90 cc just too expensive and the new V60 I checked out recently being sold only in higher trims ($50,000+)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts