SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to order XC90 R-Design with Vision and convenience packages. I am unable to decide on HUD, what do you guys think about this option? The reason i am hesitating is it might be just another screen showing same information as the Digital display and the Dash screen. Are there any added benefits with HUD which i am not seeing? PLease advise.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The main benefit is that you don't have to look down on your dash. That saves milliseconds of reaction time, which can be he difference between trouble or not

·
Registered
241 Posts
The main benefit is that you don't have to look down on your dash. That saves milliseconds of reaction time, which can be he difference between trouble or not
This is the only benefit I see, I'd like to be proven wrong though... but don't listen to me I'm biased towards the heated windshield! Ssshhhh! :D

Well this is just my opinion, I wouldn't pay ($900) for something that you already have in the car meaning "the dash". All the info you see in the HUD is already showing in the dashboard and the infotainment screen. There are many people here in the forum who will say that they were thankful to have the HUD and that's a good thing, but let me ask you did you ever had a car that has a HUD? If yes, then you might wanna get that because you might be used to it. But if your answer is never, then I don't think you'll be missing a lot if you don't have it. Another but is that if the dealer's gonna add it free of charge then I say go for it! Hahaha!

I just don't see any advantage in it. You look at the dash for a split second a lot of things can happen and you might be in an accident (worst case scenario), but I believe it's the same thing as focusing on the HUD info instead of the road, even for a few seconds on that too and you might end up in a ditch so unless there's a scientific study and the majority of experts in this field agree that it's really safe to have it, I'll stick to my guns. Looking at the dashboard is a distraction and same goes for the HUD, the time that takes you to do those things will be the deciding factor, again accidents happen in an instant. My speculation is it's more of the aesthetics than safety. I'd probably get a lot of flak for this but hey just my two cents. ;)

Read this

http://www.gizmag.com/hud-technology-driving-safety/38204/

and this

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/11/are-head-up-displays-the-answer-to-driver-distraction/

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Supposedly the HUD will have expanded content eventually. But I wouldn't expect it to have info that's not on the dash or touchscreen. I experience it as a filter- it's giving me the most relevant info from what's below and to the side, and it both keeps me from looking down as much and highlights the important stuff- acc info, speed and speed limit, next turn in navigation, incoming calls. Though it's a safety device it sort of has a similar relaxing effect as acc and lka- lets me make far fewer split second/reflexive actions.
I really like mine.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Personally I'd rather look at the HUD than the squiggly lines in the heated windshield lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
I skipped the HUD on my R-Design order. One, because I haven't had a vehicle with it before so don't feel like I'd be missing out, and (more importantly) two, because I'm in New England and value the heated windshield that comes with the Climate package instead, given that HUD and heated windshield are mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
This is the only benefit I see, I'd like to be proven wrong though... but don't listen to me I'm biased towards the heated windshield! Ssshhhh! :D

Well this is just my opinion, I wouldn't pay ($900) for something that you already have in the car meaning "the dash".

I just don't see any advantage on it. My speculation is it's more of the aesthetics than safety. I'd probably get a lot of flak for this but hey just my two cents. ;)

Just to clarify, have you used an HUD extensively or are you just kind of guessing/rationalizing not getting one so you don't get buyer's remorse?

Did you even read the articles you linked to? The second one, even based on tech 3 years old now, is very pro-HUD.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I like the HUD, that you can invite your friends to sit on driver seat and see it. Maybe passengers on back seats can see it too.
For $900 you can't get other cool factor like this. :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
HUD is worth it and even cheap on this car. My XC is the first car I've owned with it and I'd be hard pressed to go without now

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just don't see any advantage on it.
I have owned a BMW 5-series with HUD for 5 years and now own a XC90 with HUD.
The advantage to me is the HUD projected speed and nav instructions appear to be a few feet in front of the car.
This means not only do you not have to take your eyes of the road to read them (less risks of accidents), also you do not have to focus your eyes on the speedo meter.
Not having to focus your eyes on something in the car, but being able to read the most important information like it were in front of the car as well as only seeing the information you really need, gives less fatigue for the eyes on long drives.
To me this is a lot more than just a gadget!

Personally I do not like heated wind shields.
Volvo makes really thin powerlines in the windshield, so I am not focusing my eyes on the cables the whole time (a problem I have with some other brands)
To me it does however give an appearance as if the windshield is dirty all the time with something oily.
With preconditioning set by Volvo On Call, my windshields are clear in the morning.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Like another poster, if you never had HUD, you won't miss it. But if you have had it before then you may want to get it since it is only $900. We chose the heated windshield because of its practical benefits. To me the HUD was yet a 3rd screen to display information. And if you have certain polarized lenses, you can barely see it if at all. I can ignore the lines in the heated windshield and you will get used to it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just to clarify, have you used an HUD extensively or are you just kind of guessing/rationalizing not getting one so you don't get buyer's remorse?

Did you even read the articles you linked to? The second one, even based on tech 3 years old now, is very pro-HUD.
Extensively not really, that's why I said it's just my opinion. Before we ordered the car I did test drove an XC90 twice that has the HUD. I have driven the car we initially ordered with the heated windshield for 5days and we were given another chance to order a new car to replace the one we left in Europe and I was thinking about doing the HUD but after a few discussion with my wife we both decided that we will still have the heated windshield on the newer one. So no buyer's remorse for me... although I would love to have both. :D

I did include a "pro-HUD" article because I wanted rk235 to have a better understanding of the so called "safetiness" of HUD. When it comes to heated windshield vs. HUD, I've already admitted that I'm biased towards the former but since I'm trying to give advice to another person I have to give him/her the other option or in this case information to help the OP weigh-in the pros and cons.

·
Registered
702 Posts
HUD seemed like a gimmick 20 years ago when my father had it on his Cutlass Supreme, and my feelings haven't really changed in that time.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have been using my HUD. I appreciate the awareness of my speed vs posted speed limits.... If you appreciate this, you will like it. If you don't, you will probably be annoyed and turn it off. In my case, it is usually reminding me I am speeding.

I also find the navigation directions helpful in the HUD. It is just a simpler, more immediate way to receive information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went with the heated windshield over the HUD. We have a hud on our Prius, it's handy, but because the NAV shows up in the instrument cluster in the XC90 the HUD seems extremely redundant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank you all for your input. I never had a car with HUD before so I think I may not miss it. However, i will checkout the xc90 with HUD again before making decision.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've been driving an XC90 T6 with the HUD for the last couple of weeks and a couple of thousand km's and I'm impressed. It has taken a lot of time for me to NOT look at the dashboard for info that is in the HUD - but once I became accustomed to it ... I think I'm going to have problems going back to another vehicle that does not have the feature.

The car cameras can recognise the traffic signs - and you can see the speed limit and passing / no passing info in the HUD. Also displays the current speed ...

The HUD shows (essentially as a third display) navigation info - handy to be looking through the windshield and not down at one of the two other screens.

Do you want to be waken up? You should see the flashing red icon (and associated audio alert) when the car thinks there will be a head-on collision.

I'm sure there's a lot of other info I've found useful - just difficult to document that when you're driving! (I'm doing it from memory in this reply.)

Bottom line: I'm glad I did order the HUD option even if it means that I couldn't get the heated windscreen.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Once you get a car with HUD you will never want to go back to a car without one. It displays alot of handy information without having to take your eyes off the road for one sec. Plus i believe Volvo intends to update the software to enable more information to be displayed as it comes available.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts