SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all of you. I'm currently awaiting delivery of my XC90 sometime next month and I've been researching insurance rates. I thought I'm gonna ask you all on this forum what premiums you guys and gals pay for your brand new XC90. I know there's a lot of factors going into calculating individual premiums but I wanna ask anyways. My insurance agent quoted approx. $600/6months and about $150 less for a 2016 Acura MDX w/ tech. when I asked them to compare.

So what are your insurance premiums for the XC90?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
My quote for a loaded T6 in the rural, upper midwest was $275/every six months. A loaded T8 is $375/every six months. My 2007 Toyota 4Runner was $360/every six months. These quotes for XC90 and my 4Runner are all with a $500 deductible. Bottom line is that the T6 is about 25% less than my 2007 4Runner and about the same between the T8 and 4Runner. Everyone's premium will vary by region, driving history, et al.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here is mine for a T6 Inscription. 6 month premium.
I also have coverage with State Farm similar to capla, but my premiums are about $500/6 months. I'm in San Francisco Bay Area, drive ~ 20k miles/year, have multi-car/good driver discount, and an additional discount because I also have my homeowners insurance with them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I need to move out of New York State. We're not even in the City and I'm paying almost $700 for six months.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oddly, I was quoted ~350/6mo for my T8 when I ordered it, but when it arrived that had ballooned to $650/6mo... I'm told that they didn't yet have the car in the system for my initial quote (which was only valid for 30 days. (THANKS again to the EPA for the delay in delivery)

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I need to move out of New York State. We're not even in the City and I'm paying almost $700 for six months.
I'm in the city and paying $700 for 6 months. This vehicle has one of the best rates I've had quite honestly and it costs more than any other vehicle I've ever owned.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Rates are going to depend greatly on what levels of insurance you're getting - so really not fair to compare unless much of that information is disclosed as well. And of course, some states / cities are going to be a lot more expensive.

The annual premium on my 2016 XC90 T8 as compared to my 2013 XC90 was almost double. I was a bit shocked. The insurance company indicated much of that was based on the cost of the vehicle. (At some point I intend to get back to them to see if there are any additional discounts based on some of the safety systems integrated into the XC90.)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Rates are going to depend greatly on what levels of insurance you're getting - so really not fair to compare unless much of that information is disclosed as well. And of course, some states / cities are going to be a lot more expensive.

The annual premium on my 2016 XC90 T8 as compared to my 2013 XC90 was almost double. I was a bit shocked. The insurance company indicated much of that was based on the cost of the vehicle. (At some point I intend to get back to them to see if there are any additional discounts based on some of the safety systems integrated into the XC90.)

Please share if you find anything out regarding discounts.......

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also have coverage with State Farm similar to capla, but my premiums are about $500/6 months. I'm in San Francisco Bay Area, drive ~ 20k miles/year, have multi-car/good driver discount, and an additional discount because I also have my homeowners insurance with them.
My rates for previous vehicles used to be ~$600-700/6 months with State Farm until I bundled in my homeowners insurance policy (which I used to have through a Farmers agent). Once I bundled auto & homeowners insurance together, that's when I saw my auto insurance drop to ~$500/6 months. Homeowners insurance also dropped from around $1,400/year to ~ $1,050.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Friendly reminder to everyone: if you have a professional degree like an MD or JD (weirdly, they don't care whether you're licensed to practice law in any state, merely whether you have a JD), make sure to notify your insurance company! I was both thrilled and pissed when just a couple weeks ago I found out that our agency had not in fact been applying that discount for me (I'm CA-licensed attorney, obviously with a JD). Well, now it's applied and they were good enough to refund part of our most recent payment. Anyway, it's about a 25% savings, so pretty huge. (Farmers' Insurance in SF Bay Area).

·
Registered
121 Posts
I want to thank everyone on this thread. It made me take a good hard look at how State Farm was ripping me off to the tune of $1,050 every 6 months for the XC90. I shopped around and got GEICO for about $610 for every 6 months. (Location Long Island).

Insurance companies are like Cable companies. They draw you in with discounts when you switch and then slowly creep up rates.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
My best quote is $1375/6 months and that's with a house and two drivers bundled in on a T6 Inscription for comparison sake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm over $1,000 per 6 months with an R-Design. I live in Long Island. Time to change insurers...ugh.[/QUOTE

Time to move off the Island! Moved upstate and saved thousands on auto and home insurance ( and TAXES!) Remember the "good old days" when Margiotta republicans ran Nassau County?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Friendly reminder to everyone: if you have a professional degree like an MD or JD (weirdly, they don't care whether you're licensed to practice law in any state, merely whether you have a JD), make sure to notify your insurance company! I was both thrilled and pissed when just a couple weeks ago I found out that our agency had not in fact been applying that discount for me (I'm CA-licensed attorney, obviously with a JD). Well, now it's applied and they were good enough to refund part of our most recent payment. Anyway, it's about a 25% savings, so pretty huge. (Farmers' Insurance in SF Bay Area).

I'm just curious -- what's the rationale for the discount based on degree? First I've heard of this. Is it limited to MD and JD, or will an MBA do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm over $1,000 per 6 months with an R-Design. I live in Long Island. Time to change insurers...ugh.[/QUOTE

Time to move off the Island! Moved upstate and saved thousands on auto and home insurance ( and TAXES!) Remember the "good old days" when Margiotta republicans ran Nassau County?
Yeah, I'm not even from here. Originally from Western PA. Stuck here with work for now. Just switched to Geico and saved myself about 800 a year on auto insurance. I sound like the commercial but it is true.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm just curious -- what's the rationale for the discount based on degree? First I've heard of this. Is it limited to MD and JD, or will an MBA do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good question. I don't know. Probably also applies to MBA? I guess the logic is that statistically, people with advanced degrees tend to be better / safer drivers? I guess? :) I don't know......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just got my first premium (Got my car almost a week ago). It's 693 for 6 months with 250k/500k coverage(s). For comparison purposes my four year old Acura MDX has a premium of $718 for six months.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good question. I don't know. Probably also applies to MBA? I guess the logic is that statistically, people with advanced degrees tend to be better / safer drivers? I guess? :) I don't know......
I guess I can see that. In my case, I'd say my safer driving record has much more to do with (finally) maturing a bit (settling down, having kids to raise, etc.). Much more than the MBA I earned. But, that's just me. :)

I haven't seen my new premium for the XC90 yet, but this whole topic has me thinking it's time to revisit (ie, shop around) auto insurance anyway. I haven't made my current carrier work in a LONG while.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts