SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We picked her up yesterday afternoon and drove to the farm last night (hadn't figured out the active high beams yet.)
For those interested, our well-loved Sapphacama '07 V70R GT is in the classifieds.
First question: should we keep our 235/45-17 Michelin Xi3s from the VR or buy new 235/45-18 or 235/50-17 winter tires to keep the same diameter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Welcome to R-Design life.

·
Registered
2019 S60 R Design, Fusion Red, Fully Loaded
502 Posts
Looks great! Enjoy!!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sleek!

·
Registered
105 Posts
"It's a beaut, Clark! It's a beaut!"

·
Registered
13,479 Posts
"It's a beaut, Clark! It's a beaut!"
Lol, load her up and head off to Wally World!

Congrats to OP - you will love the car.

·
Registered
127 Posts

It's nice to see another Black V60 RD in a different setting.

My photo was taken in a National Cemetery in the Tampa Bay Area.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very shiny 🏻. Mine is some new onyx black - didn't know what the extra money was for but saw some sort of flakes in the paint under artificial light, and I presume it has a clear coat.

P.S.: Winter is coming so will soon look like some sort of dark, salted peanut.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Very shiny ��. Mine is some new onyx black - didn't know what the extra money was for but saw some sort of flakes in the paint under artificial light, and I presume it has a clear coat.

P.S.: Winter is coming so will soon look like some sort of dark, salted peanut.

Onxy Black replaces Black Sapphire Metallic. The Metal Flake is slightly different. Nothing really to figure out with the High Beams. When you have them selected, they are always "on". They sense other cars coming and "move away" from the oncoming car. When they are disabled by any weather, you get a warning on the dash.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats on the car. I am looking at picking up basically the same unit but am on the fence about it. Still cross shopping it against a few others. The one I am after is a 15.5 unit not a 16. I don't think there are any major differences with the two cars.

I see you are in Toronto, did you order the car or did you find it already at a dealer?

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
G-wizz... Looks awesome! Congrats... Best rims at the moment... Still XC70 fan but I understand V60 choice.

Jealous in a way with all the bells n whizzles...

XC70 2011 D5

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats! Looks amazing in black. You're making me rethink getting mine (non RD) in white!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fourth black AWD Volvo (last two sapphire) and three of them wagons.
Ordered a '16 in June when we had trouble finding a '15.5 and (since it's a purchase would rather have a year less depreciation.) Besides, my VR was the last of a series too (no more SI6 RDs after this year.)
Really nice so far: quick, smooth, and good capacity despite the swoopy back end.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Seems nobody answered your wheel question. You definitely want to keep the same diameter. I recently purchased 235-50-17 for my 2015 V60R and while they fit, the clearance with the front calipers is about 1/4" - very close!! I also found the handling to be veeeeery spongy in 17" winter tires. I replaced them with 18" on michelin x-ice and the ride is much much better. There is also a lot more clearance for the calipers.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick update - added Volvo winter mats (when purchased), then a rear cargo mat and a K&N filter. Winter is very mild so far, so will likely just use the P7s and save another $1000.
Have likely sold our '07 VR - still fun to drive but suffers in comparison to the new P3, as it should.
If so, next for the V60 will be load bars and a hitch.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Quick update - added Volvo winter mats (when purchased), then a rear cargo mat and a K&N filter. Winter is very mild so far, so will likely just use the P7s and save another $1000.
Have likely sold our '07 VR - still fun to drive but suffers in comparison to the new P3, as it should.
If so, next for the V60 will be load bars and a hitch.

You may want to rethink the K&N filter. I don't know much about it, but this was just talked about on the P* forum. From the P* forum...

Personally I would ditch the K&N. This has been gone over ad nauseam on Volvospeed for years. The oil is bad for our MAF and the stock filter is more than sufficient for the flow needed. Take off the foam sock if you please. Just replace at each oil change, they're cheap.

If you really want to increase flow the only way to do it is a true CAI. There is data to back that up. The real restriction is the intake placement and size.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, discussed extensively in the R-forum: this will be my 4th Volvo and 8th car with a K&N - am used to them and have never had MAF trouble, likely because I don't over-oil. The R paper filter is pretty good but the P3 RD filter is a lot smaller, so I like to think it helps.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
You may want to rethink the K&N filter. I don't know much about it, but this was just talked about on the P* forum. From the P* forum...
I, totally, agree. Effect is negligible, with these engines, and there are more inherent risks vs. any benefits (a couple HP at best).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts