SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2016 V60 Drivers door would not unlock - CPO with @ 31,000 miles - multiple issues

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  gobluetwo 
#1 ·
It has not been two years since we purchased this low mileage CPO car. The car currently has about 31,000 miles on it and had 20,000 on it when we purchased it. It has had thousands of dollars of work done since we bought it. Yes the CPO warranty has covered most all of it but going forward, once the warranty has run dry, do I want this car? This is not the experience we had with any of our previous Volvo's. On another Volvo forum I saw many, many of the same issues on much newer models. If this were an older car or a car with much more mileage I could understand.

Could this be because of new owners of the Volvo?

"Hi,

I can not believe I am contacting you but last night after leaving our friends house my drivers door would not unlock. The actuator was quiet as a mouse.

It was 1:30 AM and we had spent New Years Eve with our two friends and when we left to head home my drivers door would not unlock. The touch of the handle did nothing nor did the key fob. It was late, it was cold (25 F) outside and we were stuck.

There was no clicking of the lock module to be heard and as a last resort I had to climb across the passenger's seat, to the drivers seat and started the car. When I was finally in the driver's seat I used the door panel lock button but still no unlocking of the drivers door. I recycled lock - unlock - lock - unlock. Nothing to be heard from the drivers door. I finally took the weight of my body and banged it into the doors trim panel. Then I heard it, click and then I could open the door."

If my wife had been alone with the car, her bad back would not have allowed her to crawl across the passengers seat to the drivers seat.

It is disheartening, embarrassing, I'm not sure what adjective to use to describe the need to contact the service department again.

This is the first time for such an event. Will it happen again? Will it never happen again? Going forward, will it just be an intermittent thing that happens sometimes? What would you do? What should I do? The previous owner lived in New York and I'm starting to wonder if this car was in a flood.

After so many issues with a low mileage car, if not for it being so sad, I could laugh at the entire affair.

I'm always the designated driver so I know it wasn't from too much Holiday Cheer.

See less See more
#2 ·
That’s a shame you’re going through this. A car going through a flood could certainly act up like this. Perhaps you could take it to an independent shop and they could check for waterlines. I did this in 2006 when I was purchasing a preowned vehicle after Hurricane Katrina.

I had a similar issue with my new XC 40 driver side door lock. Until I was able to get it into the dealer, I remotely opened the driver side window and opened the door from the inside. They aren’t sure what caused the failure, but they put in a new door opening mechanism.

I hope you get things sorted out. It almost sounds like it may be time to trade in.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
2016 V60 is a previous generation. Particular car may have particular issue but it is very different from the SPA 2019+ V60. The locking mechanism is not special though. Is the weather wet recently? Maybe ice got frozen in door frame or lock and caused it unable to move? Did you try using the metal key (maybe it is inside the key fob) to unlock the door?

#4 · (Edited)
It has not been two years since we purchased this low mileage CPO car. The car currently has about 31,000 miles on it and had 20,000 on it when we purchased it. It has had thousands of dollars of work done since we bought it. Yes the CPO warranty has covered most all of it but going forward, once the warranty has run dry, do I want this car? This is not the experience we had with any of our previous Volvo's. On another Volvo forum I saw many, many of the same issues on much newer models. If this were an older car or a car with much more mileage I could understand.

Could this be because of new owners of the Volvo?

"Hi,

I can not believe I am contacting you but last night after leaving our friends house my drivers door would not unlock. The actuator was quiet as a mouse.

It was 1:30 AM and we had spent New Years Eve with our two friends and when we left to head home my drivers door would not unlock. The touch of the handle did nothing nor did the key fob. It was late, it was cold (25 F) outside and we were stuck.

There was no clicking of the lock module to be heard and as a last resort I had to climb across the passenger's seat, to the drivers seat and started the car. When I was finally in the driver's seat I used the door panel lock button but still no unlocking of the drivers door. I recycled lock - unlock - lock - unlock. Nothing to be heard from the drivers door. I finally took the weight of my body and banged it into the doors trim panel. Then I heard it, click and then I could open the door."

If my wife had been alone with the car, her bad back would not have allowed her to crawl across the passengers seat to the drivers seat.

It is disheartening, embarrassing, I'm not sure what adjective to use to describe the need to contact the service department again.

This is the first time for such an event. Will it happen again? Will it never happen again? Going forward, will it just be an intermittent thing that happens sometimes? What would you do? What should I do? The previous owner lived in New York and I'm starting to wonder if this car was in a flood.

After so many issues with a low mileage car, if not for it being so sad, I could laugh at the entire affair.

I'm always the designated driver so I know it wasn't from too much Holiday Cheer.
Could the door locks have frozen? Has your car had the recall performed? They replaced the door latches due to the possibility of the doors failing to lock in hot weather.

2011-2017 Volvo S60 and V60 recalled for doors that can open unintentionally

I've had a lot of work done on my vehicle under CPO, too. Expensive amounts. Glad I got the CPO. Think most everything that could need fixed has hopefully gotten done now! Biggest being the Piston Ring / Consumption issue. Glad it happened now. I was rooting for my car to have it! Post CPO, that would have been an OUCH amount of money!

15.5 Volvo S60 FWD

1. Oil Consumption Issue (Known Problem) - Replaced Piston / Piston Rings

2. Thermostat / ECM (Known Problem) - Done at same time as pistons. Thermostat Code. Replacing Thermostat fried ECM.

Combined total of #1 and #2 was around $5000-$6000 under CPO. Happened about 5,000 miles ago back at 74k.

3. Backup Camera + Wiring Harness + Seal + Software (4 attempts) to replace faulty backup camera before issue was resolved. Backup camera would randomly fail to enage.

4. Folding Mirror Motor Died on Driver's Side. Replaced motor

5. Gearshift Knob enamel cracked (Known Issue)

6. Rearview Mirror Clouded Over (Auto Dimming) - Replace Rearview Mirror

7. SRS Airbag Urgent - Software Update

8. Infotainment system losing Connectivity (Happened Twice) - Software update and reflash.

#5 ·
Recall was preformed and use it had rained. But I live in a climate with snow, rain, sleet, etc.and do I really want a car that has freezing lock problems. In my 68 years on earth I've owned a lot of cars and a car this young should not have problems with water egress onto the locks. What that tells me is that when they had the trim panel removed, someone didn't correctly replace the covering behind the trim.

Worse is if it is not a well designed waterproofing behind the panel. If so that is a big ugh :(

I was on a site and saw a lot of XC90 posts about door lock problems.

I also have #6 and I didn't know it was a known issue. "Gearshift Knob enamel cracked (Known Issue)"

#10 ·
I had it happen twice where the Wifi / Signal would spin forever and never connect. Two updates / reflashes to resolve. Thus far, have had no further issues.

Maybe that was a semi common problem then. Either way, you can clearly see many of my issues weren't isolated to just my vehicle.

When did you buy your CPO? Do you have the 5 yr / unlimited CPO or the 7 yr / 100K?

#14 ·
Because none of the mods moved this to the correct forum yet (I assume this is a thing they can do with the new forum software).

The reality is that there are miscategorized posts like this because someone mistakenly posted in the wrong S60/V60 forum. Not a big deal. Just alert the mods and they'll take care of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.