SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I've got a 90k miles and a CEL code reading P0101. Code is related to the mass air flow sensor. I've checked the air filter, and cleaned the MAF twice and cleared the code twice. I've checked for air intake leaks, and did a carb spray check around the intake and vacuum hoses.

This issue is affecting performance, hesitation on hills and poor shifting performance.

Before paying the $175-$200 for a new OEM MAF sensor, what else should I check?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hello,

I've got a 90k miles and a CEL code reading P0101. Code is related to the mass air flow sensor. I've checked the air filter, and cleaned the MAF twice and cleared the code twice. I've checked for air intake leaks, and did a carb spray check around the intake and vacuum hoses.

This issue is affecting performance, hesitation on hills and poor shifting performance.

Before paying the $175-$200 for a new OEM MAF sensor, what else should I check?

Thanks for the advice.
Just buy a used OEM Toyota MAF and try it. They are way cheaper than Volvo MAF although they are both products of Denso.

I tried a Toyota MAF on my S90 as I suspected the MAF once and it worked without issues. However, my issue was related to under torqued Spark Plugs + Dirty 2 O2 sensors. Check my DIY inthe forum.

Toyota part# 22204-75040

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2015 XC60 T5 2.0L had a similar problem recently, although in my case the car ran perfectly well, but gas consumption was high -- only ~14.5 mpg. I replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner. For a few hundred miles afterward, the check engine light went away, and the car continued to drive well, although no improvement in gas mileage. The check engine light returned during the very month emissions tests were due. I decided to have my shop diagnose the problem to save time. They found that in addition to the OBDCII MAF error, the fuel mixture was too rich, and inspection of the spark plugs showed they were fouled with carbon deposits, much too soon since the last change. Fortunately, a vacuum leak test found no lines broken or seeping air. The shop decided the problem was most likely due to a bad oxygen sensor which would send the wrong information to the MAF and cause the rich mixture, which causes the poor mpg and fouled plugs, etc. The oxygen sensor was replaced (VOLVO branded of course.) and the fuel injection system cleaned with a tank additive. The OBDCII codes cleared and check engine light stayed off for good, and much better gas mileage returned. Note: I believe it was the upstream sensor that was replaced.

XCAWD

·
Registered
617 Posts
Check my thread regarding O2 sensor. Buying a Denso branded sensor will save you bucks. However I hope your issue is just the MAF.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts