SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my dealer's website to schedule a service appointment and decided to check out the inventory of 2016 models. One of the first cars I saw looked like a T6 R-Design, but the MSRP of $41,400 told me it couldn't be a T6. After some research, I found out that a new model called the 2016 Volvo S60 T5 Drive-E R-Design Special Edition FWD (wouldn't S60 T5 R-Design have been sufficient?).

Several other site members have already spotted the T5 Drive-E R-Design Special Edition (c'mon, at least call it an SE instead of spelling it out). Here's a link to that discussion- T5 R-D SE

But here's the condensed version-

Over the S60 T5 Premier, it adds-
R-design sport seats
Sport suspension
Unique rear and lower front spoiler
Exclusive Blue Adaptive Digital TFT Display
19"' Ixiom Alloy wheels
Directional Adaptive Bi-Xenon HID headlights

It has a base price of $39,900, which is $3,300 more than the T5 Premier. Oddly, the only options available are Metallic Paint, BLIS, Convenience Package and Heated Front Seats. The Technology Package and Climate Package are only available on the T5 Premier, not the R-Design.

As I was digging for information on the T5 R-Design, I realized that the T5 Platinum doesn't exist for 2016. The main issue with dropping the T5 Platinum is that now the R-Design is the only T5 model with Active Dual-Xenon Headlights. The Dual-Xenons were a stand-alone option on all S60 trim levels through 2014 and possibly on the early 2015 models. On the 2015.5 S60, the only way to get Dual-Xenon Headlights on the T5 was to choose the Platinum trim level and on the T6 you had to get the Platinum trim level or the T6 R-Design.

It's just a little irritating that Volvo, with the repuation for building the safest cars in the world, would make a safety feature unavailable on most S60s. Dual-xenon headlights and Adaptive headlights have both been shown to improve safety and reduce collisions. The same is true of BLIS, which I also think should be standard across the Volvo line.

Just thought I'd share this info.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
IgoZoom said:
As I was digging for information on the T5 R-Design, I realized that the T5 Platinum doesn't exist for 2016. The main issue with dropping the T5 Platinum is that now the R-Design is the only T5 model with Active Dual-Xenon Headlights. The Dual-Xenons were a stand-alone option on all S60 trim levels through 2014 and possibly on the early 2015 models. On the 2015.5 S60, the only way to get Dual-Xenon Headlights on the T5 was to choose the Platinum trim level and on the T6 you had to get the Platinum trim level or the T6 R-Design.

It's just a little irritating that Volvo, with the repuation for building the safest cars in the world, would make a safety feature unavailable on most S60s. Dual-xenon headlights and Adaptive headlights have both been shown to improve safety and reduce collisions. The same is true of BLIS, which I also think should be standard across the Volvo line.

Just thought I'd share this info.
The Platinum package does exist for MY16 S60s; it is available in the S60 Inscription, either with the T5 Drive-E FWD version or the T5 AWD.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Platinum package does exist for MY16 S60s; it is available in the S60 Inscription, either with the T5 Drive-E FWD version or the T5 AWD.
I might be wrong but on the order sheet it also seems to be listed for the regular length T6.

Regardless, I think its a mistake to remove those options from the T5. You can get Xenons, and a lot of other tech features in direct competitors like the 328i and LEDs on the C300, as well as the Infiniti Q50. On the Acura TLX you can get LEDs as well.

I don't understand why they wouldn't at least have the tech package on the R-Design as on option, or having Xenons as a standalone options on any T5 trim.

Overall, I think the concept of trims on a European car is silly. BMW has it right with their package and option system. You can pretty much select any combo you want and I think that definitely lures customers over.

Messing with the trim levels every single year gets kind of annoying as well. I think Volvo should just have one trim, and perhaps a separate model for the R-Design.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I might be wrong but on the order sheet it also seems to be listed for the regular length T6.
You are correct. I was caught up on the fact that the discussion was centered around the T5 and I just wrote "S60s". Yes, the T6 Drive-E can be had w/ Platinum package and the same goes for the T6 R-design. The T5 is no longer available w/ Platinum package but the T5 Inscription (long wheelbase) is.

Regardless, I think its a mistake to remove those options from the T5. You can get Xenons, and a lot of other tech features in direct competitors like the 328i and LEDs on the C300, as well as the Infiniti Q50. On the Acura TLX you can get LEDs as well.
TLX is a brand new platform and that is the only reason it can be equipped w/ LEDs. I am sure the new S60 will also have LEDs. The T5 can be equipped with bi-xenon lights as long as the Platinum package is selected; no difference from MY15.5, other than you will have to select the Inscription trim level.

I don't understand why they wouldn't at least have the tech package on the R-Design as on option, or having Xenons as a standalone options on any T5 trim.
I am in favor of the Bi-Xenons as a standalone option; unfortunately, that has not happened.

Overall, I think the concept of trims on a European car is silly. BMW has it right with their package and option system. You can pretty much select any combo you want and I think that definitely lures customers over.
It is a matter of business model; some do subscribe to trim levels (Audi, Volvo), others do not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts