SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm glad to be able to join the community finally. My 2000 Honda Accord V6 finally died, and I convinced myself it was time to see what features modern cars have and taste a little hard-earned luxury. I'm absolutely blinded by the features, with my old car it was just me and the steering wheel. I've connected my phone via bluetooth to the car and trained it to my voice. I've also chosen my desired dash, adjusted my seat memory, turned off lane assistance features aside from BLIS, and programmed the garage lift. One thing that I have to say, so far I'm not convinced that I like interfacing with the vehicle. I'd almost rather just push the AUX through and use my google assistant and a dash mount. The commands for navigation are tedious and I can't just refer to landmarks without having them programmed first. ie. "Begin navigation to Stokes". Any advice?

When I get new computers I have a standard routine of optimizations and installations that I run. This thing is reminding me more of a computer than the old machines that I used to drive. Does anyone have anything like that for their car? Any just regular old user tips for this vehicle?

·
Registered
45 Posts
For landmarks or POI, the Volvo navigation leaves a lot to be desire, although they’re slowly improving it. Just two things:
1. Just use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay and use your phone’s navigation. They’ve made improvements to both of those.
2. Make sure your Sensus maps are updated, either via your car’s data connection or a USB.

Congrats and enjoy the pros and cons of new car tech! I miss physical buttons sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I use CarPlay and Waze or Google maps for my nav needs. I like it a lot more than the OEM nav. Downside is directions won't show in the HUD or the dashboard display (yet, Apple made it possible to do so but Volvo has to update it to use the updated API).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey guys! I'm glad to be able to join the community finally. My 2000 Honda Accord V6 finally died, and I convinced myself it was time to see what features modern cars have and taste a little hard-earned luxury. I'm absolutely blinded by the features, with my old car it was just me and the steering wheel. I've connected my phone via bluetooth to the car and trained it to my voice. I've also chosen my desired dash, adjusted my seat memory, turned off lane assistance features aside from BLIS, and programmed the garage lift. One thing that I have to say, so far I'm not convinced that I like interfacing with the vehicle. I'd almost rather just push the AUX through and use my google assistant and a dash mount. The commands for navigation are tedious and I can't just refer to landmarks without having them programmed first. ie. "Begin navigation to Stokes". Any advice?

When I get new computers I have a standard routine of optimizations and installations that I run. This thing is reminding me more of a computer than the old machines that I used to drive. Does anyone have anything like that for their car? Any just regular old user tips for this vehicle?
You’ve realized quite quickly that after the initial novelty wears off, most of these new tech features and gadgets are mostly just gimmicky.

I rarely use my nav system and always resort to google / Waze bc It’s tedious to enter landmarks and the car’s nav is never as intuitive and the traffic monitoring rarely seems like it’s in real time.

Also nowadays, most economy cars can be optioned to include almost every tech feature or option you can find on a luxury car. From a tech standpoint , the gap has really narrowed significantly since 2000 so none of these items are unique or exclusive anymore.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also nowadays, most economy cars can be optioned to include almost every tech feature or option you can find on a luxury car. From a tech standpoint , the gap has really narrowed significantly since 2000 so none of these items are unique or exclusive anymore.
Yup. My 2016 Mazda 6 GT trim had all of the tech of my S60 plus a few more for much less (albeit a terribly small touchscreen). Not the same build quality and materials (a lot of metal was actually plastic), but some good bang for your buck and fun to drive in the canyons around LA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
1. Sensus nav search feature is really solid.
2. Using the Volvo app can always send destinations from your calendar to the sensus nav.
3. I like using the sensus nav because it is easier to reroute an alternate route than maps/Waze. Plus easier to see on the dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts