SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the 2016 S60 Plat Inscription with all the bells and whistles.
This past Friday I took it back to the dealer (1000 miles on car), heard a "ticking" sound, seems to be coming from rear of car.
The service mgr heard it, they said they torqued all the rear bolts, I test drove it and the ticking was gone.
Was was fine all weekend.
Tonight coming home I heard it again. You can hear it clearly at low speeds (under 10 mph) and now hear it at higher speeds up to 35 miles per hour.
Once they tightened or said they tightened rear bolts the noise went away, but now it is back. The best way to describe the sound is if when you were a kid riding your bicycle and you attached a baseball card to the front fork of the bike and every time a spoke hit the card was a "ticking" sound.
I have to bring it back to the dealer tomorrow. Does anyone have experience or know what this is? The noise is driving me crazy.
Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yes, have checked as best I can.
This is becoming worse.
I took the car out in my development tonight, now I hear a "clucking" noise from the rear, sound like the drivers rear side.
Also getting intermittent message on dash board " have emergency brake serviced". Comes on, I play with brake and it disappears, then comes back, but intermittently.
I am having the car flat bedded tomorrow am to the dealer.
Perhaps it is the Emergency Brake, sounds like something loose and clicking, now clunking when I drive at low speed (under 10mph)
Any other thoughts, appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Frequently the initial symptoms turn into something that is easily traceable. Clearly your situation so there won't be too much brain damage figuring out the issue. Sure sounds like something with the emergency brake.

+1 on having it taken to dealer on flat bed. Many people would just drive the car and do more damage. I had something similar with my old Acura TL (/06). I was having dinner with a friend and one of the topics of discussion was how great the Acura had been over so many years and 135,000 miles. I dropped my friend at home and no sooner did I leave his place than I had a terrible grinding/clunking from the rear -- karma -- LOL. Turned out it some rust peeled off one of the rotors and embedded itself in a spot that made quite a racket. At least you are under warranty! Good luck --hopefully not anything terribly serious.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Also getting intermittent message on dash board " have emergency brake serviced". Comes on, I play with brake and it disappears, then comes back, but intermittently.
Sound like an EB issue for sure, especially now that you're getting dash messages. Something may have come loose inside the mechanism. I bet the 'clunk' is related to the 'tick' No that the message has displayed, they should be able to narrow it down more precisely.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:
Just returned from the Volvo dealer, they took apart the rear axle, re-packed everything, and torqued all the axle bolt(s).
I do not hear the noise anymore, but this was the case on Friday, but heard it again on Sunday eve.
I am hoping that is the fix to the problem. The Parking Brake was fine, they said the brake was on for a period of time when the car was moving, I think this occurred in a parking lot in NYC by the attendant, I turned it off when I saw the message, they said the Parking Brake is OK.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to report, the ticking noise in the rear end is back!
Service Dept said they were keeping the work order open a few days just in case, well its back.
When I was driving up to my house, a neighbor heard it.
I guess it is not the rear axle.
Dealer is calling me back tomorrow with further instructions.
Any other suggestions I could mention would be appreciated.
thanks. Bill

·
Registered
770 Posts
The Parking Brake was fine, they said the brake was on for a period of time when the car was moving, I think this occurred in a parking lot in NYC by the attendant, I turned it off when I saw the message, they said the Parking Brake is OK.
Maybe Chengdu-built Inscriptions are different, but that can't normally happen on an S60. If you leave the parking brake engaged and try to drive off it will automatically release. I wonder if failure to release could be another symptom?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply.
Spoke to the service mgr, he is going to review, was aware of the problem and we will speak tomorrow am.
Told him I did not hold dealership responsible for problem,they did not build it. However,I hold them responsible to diagnose and fix a problem. Just hope I don't have a lemon, NYS has remedies for this after 4th time at dealership, next will be number 3.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Maybe Chengdu-built Inscriptions are different, but that can't normally happen on an S60. If you leave the parking brake engaged and try to drive off it will automatically release. I wonder if failure to release could be another symptom?
It's not clear if it will if the seat belt is not fastened. Manual is a bit vague on that
as the two bullet points contradict each other (in that one says not released
if the seat belt is not on and the other says it is released in Drive or Reverse):

Automatic release
1. Start the engine.

NOTE
• For safety reasons, the parking brake is
only released automatically if the engine
is running and the driver is wearing a seat
belt.
• The electric parking brake will be
released immediately when the accelerator
pedal is pressed and the gear selector
is in position D or R.

2. Fasten the seat belt.
3. Move the gear selector to position D or R
and press the accelerator pedal. The parking
brake will release when the vehicle
begins to move.

I suspect the seatbelt has to be on or it will not be released. Who wants to try it?

OP: The problem sounds to me like a bad axle. When the joints go bad they click.
But, that is a wild guess since it is hard to diagnose from the description and I would
think the dealer has heard a bad axle before and would recognize it if that was the case.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I suspect the seatbelt has to be on or it will not be released. Who wants to try it?
I'll try it the day I return my lease :) Preferably when I'm at the dealer :) (should be in 3 weeks or so)

But then again, mine is a regular, not Inscription.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thanks for pointing out the seatbelt caveat! That's good info for the next rare occasion that someone else might drive/move my car. I doubt I ever would have discovered that on my own.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I tried the e-brake release yesterday! It works! I was, of course, buckled up.
Once you put it in D or R, and press the accelerator - the e-brake releases automatically.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like it could be a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I recently was moving my car in my driveway without my seatbelt on. Put it in gear, stepped gently on the gas as I usually do to automatically release the parking brake, then fed more gas to get moving. The parking brake stayed on and I got a dashboard message telling me to release the parking brake. So, I can confirm that the brake releases automatically only when your seat belt is worn.

My car is smarter than me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Update:
Car taken to dealer. I am driving a loaner now.
Received a call late in afternoon that they ordered an axle for the car.
It may arrive tomorrow, definitely next day and will be installed.
Keep all posted on progressive and hopeful solution.

Another update:
Axle still not arrived at dealer, been approx 2 weeks, they have no eta on part, spoke to sales mgr today, when 30 days come and go, the car will be returned, lemon law in NYS.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If a new Inscription requires an axle replacement, would that be justified as teething pains of a new assembly line or something else? As the kids say, "Just askin'."

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another update:
Axle still not arrived at dealer, been approx 2 weeks, they have no eta on part, spoke to sales mgr today, when 30 days come and go, the car will be returned, lemon law in NYS. I have a brand new loaner to use, but I want my car back! I am afraid they will not have part in time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts