SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,

Just did an oil change for our 2015 XC70 T6. I poured in 7.18 quarts synthetic oil per SPEC, did a short drive in the neighborhood, and let it cool down. Then I pulled out the dip stick and saw the oil level barely reached the lower mark. I'm wondering if you guys had similar experience.

FYI, I have done oil changes many times for our 2006 XC90, but this is the first time for our XC70 which was quite a bit more hassle to replace the filter.

Thanks.

-Ed

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
When I change the oil on my T6, I use quite a bit more of the 8th quart to fill up (at least half of it). I use up the 7th quart, run it, then top it off with the 8th quart. I'm not sure why it takes more than what the manual says (thought 7.18 US Qts is a very odd number to me). It's also a ridiculous amount of oil for a 3.0L, imho.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony. I will keep a close eye on the oil level and top it off as needed.

·
Super Moderator
3,774 Posts
Apparently, the 7.18 quarts is strictly the amount held in the sump. It does not include what is going to end up in the filter. I use a FULL 8 quarts in my 2009 XC70 T6 and its right at the MAX line after running long enough to fill the filter.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Good info, Brad. Interesting they would put that volume in the manual, as it will result in oil levels being low on the "normal range" once everything fills up. They probably don't want people ham fisting 8 qts directly into the engine right off the bat. Again..that's A LOT of oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the manual, the 2009 XC70 T6 engine (B6304T2) had a different spec, 7.82 quarts. I noticed that when I watched an excellent guide on Youtube (which was with a 2009 XC T6) before I did oil change on my 2015 XC T6 (B6304T4). Here is the link to that video:

Just to be certain, I pulled the specs for these two engine types and put them together here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Apparently, the 7.18 quarts is strictly the amount held in the sump. It does not include what is going to end up in the filter. I use a FULL 8 quarts in my 2009 XC70 T6 and its right at the MAX line after running long enough to fill the filter.
Interesting discussion - I recently had my 2015 XC70 T6 in for service due to a low oil warning light. Dealer installed a new dipstick (with a larger 'safe' range) and also affixed a sticker right below the oil fill cap that indicates the fill capacity after an oil change should be 8.4qts.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Correct oil level reading is achieved on a warm engine after letting the vehicle sit for 15-20 min.
We understand that part. The OP's comment was why the manual calls for 7.18 qts but it's still low after adding that amount after an oil change. They should instead list the total volume of oil required to mid the middle of the "safe mark" on the dipstick, not just the sump capacity.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Could be a misprint. The 2013 S60 T5 manual says 7.6 quarts, and in reality it only holds 5.8.

·
Super Moderator
3,774 Posts
We understand that part. The OP's comment was why the manual calls for 7.18 qts but it's still low after adding that amount after an oil change. They should instead list the total volume of oil required to mid the middle of the "safe mark" on the dipstick, not just the sump capacity.
I'm an old enough guy to have been into cars since the '70s. Seems that sump capacity only was listed back then, NOT total amount of oil with the filter. Seems that this was the case at least into the '80s. So Volvo may be a holdover.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I see what where you're coming from, Brad, but I don't think all of the Volvos I've owned have had this approach. They all seemed to be pretty accurate with oil capacity. Maybe they went "retro" instead of being a "holdover"...:cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
This video above is me doing the oil change on my 09 XC70 T6.

I was surprised to see no oil on the dipstick after putting the amount listed in the manual.
I then added more oil gradually to reach the max mark and that came to be more than 8 quarts.

I've heard rumour that this 3.0l engine takes so much oil too extend the maintanance interval.

In the video I show it wrong. You need to take out the filter first and then drain the oil.

Yuri from Winnipeg MB Canada.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts