SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased a 2015 E drive loaded with options with 130k miles for a very good price. More than excited about it. I had heard about the oil consumption issue but maybe didnt realize how widespread it was.

The car is being shipped to me so I dont even have it yet but just trying to plan for the worst.

Did this affect all 2015-16 2.0T? Is there a way to quantify just how big of an issue this is? I would assume after 130k that it would have been caught by now if my car had the issue. Has dealer service records every 10k.

Also, lets say it does have the issue. I plan to bore scope it first thing to see if the cylinder walls are gouged. If I dont see any scarring, would running a one step heavier oil be ok to try and slow it down? I plan to use amsoil.

Are there plenty of 2015 E drives that didnt have the issue? Since im not the original owner and its way out of warranty, im assuming a goodwill is still out of the question, even with my consistent service records.

Trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks all!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Every Drive-E engine with an engine serial number below 1501327 is potentially affected. There is no way to quantify how big of an issue this is. For some people, it's fixed with a new PCV breather box and reprogram. For others, new pistons/rings. And for others, a brand new engine. With 130k, you may have the highest mileage drive-e engine on this forum. But just because it hasn't happened yet, I wouldn't assume it can't still happen. It's not like your car's piston rings are getting any newer. As for the question of oil weight, I have no idea. I don't believe there is anyone on this board that has experienced oil consumption, gone to a heaver oil, and had it slow down. Be that data point you want! Yes there are plenty of early Drive-Es without the issue. Goodwill is anyone's guess. You could always buy a VIP Volvo warranty. That warranty specifically excludes oil consumption, but they covered a new engine for me because my piston was actually broken.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think you are not affected by this for the reason (can be wrong) that nearly all the affected motor started to have issuee between 30kmiles up to 80kmiles...so at 130kmiles, you should be off the hook

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think you are not affected by this for the reason (can be wrong) that nearly all the affected motor started to have issuee between 30kmiles up to 80kmiles...so at 130kmiles, you should be off the hook
That's a terrible conclusion to arrive at with the current data we have. Another conclusion that makes more sense about why we are seeing cars with 30k-80k have the issue creep up is because the average mileage on a car from 2015 is about 60k.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
You could always buy a VIP Volvo warranty.
On a car with 130k miles on the clock?

OP just needs to track the oil level very carefully and hope the prior owner left him/her with a stack of service records from a Volvo dealer in the event there is significant oil usage in an attempt to have the repair goodwilled. Without service records from a Volvo dealer I think that a goodwill repair would be a stretch.

It's anybody's guess of the likelihood that this engine develops a problem.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys so far. I probably have the highest mileage one in the country!

The car had every oil change done consistently at the dealer. They are consistent too. I asked the service advisor to check over the docs and he said that he didnt see any note or indication that it ever came in with low oil. I checked the oil level first thing tonight when I got the car and it was right at full ( I know the level sensor isnt super accurate) im going to buy a bore scope and see if I can find anything. Its had spark plugs replaced twice. Its in amazing shape overall. Still drives like new.

I know my rings arent getting any newer but Its not hard to assume that I am "off the hook" considering how so many had failure so early on. Ill have to try and check my serial number and see where I stand. Atleast I can hopefully let people know how great these cars even with high miles, if maintained. Ill keep an eye on the oil and if it drops then ill have to bore scope and try something heavier. I might buy an aftermarket warranty for $100/month just in case.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
TJ 31216 ... From engine serial number: 1501327, engines have been modified from engine factory ...

Your engine, like mine (not even 30k yet) are members of The Club. No issues for me yet and hoping mine conducts itself like yours.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
1. So I just purchased a 2015 E drive loaded with options with 130k miles for a very good price. More than excited about it. I had heard about the oil consumption issue but maybe didnt realize how widespread it was.

2. The car is being shipped to me so I dont even have it yet but just trying to plan for the worst.

3. Did this affect all 2015-16 2.0T? Is there a way to quantify just how big of an issue this is? I would assume after 130k that it would have been caught by now if my car had the issue. Has dealer service records every 10k.

4. Also, lets say it does have the issue. I plan to bore scope it first thing to see if the cylinder walls are gouged. If I dont see any scarring, would running a one step heavier oil be ok to try and slow it down? I plan to use amsoil.

5. Are there plenty of 2015 E drives that didnt have the issue? Since im not the original owner and its way out of warranty, im assuming a goodwill is still out of the question, even with my consistent service records.

Trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks all!
1. 2015 and 2016 Drive-E engines with a specific serial number are affected. Mine falls into that category. As do many others.

2. Does the car have a CPO on it already? Old CPO was 7 yrs from in service date. If the CPO remains you'd have a few years of protection to plan for worse. Otherwise, As-IS where is with a 130K vehicle. Doubt you could add any kind of VIP warranty to the car, but check steingold volvo to be sure. I could be wrong.

3. Volvo has never released figures stating just how many cars were affected with consumption issues. It's definitely NOT every vehicle. And if you look here, it seems like a "lot" but those statistics are skewed. People come to a forum when there's a problem and to find answers. You don't have a lot of "My Car is a 2015.5 with an engine in the affected range" but I just wanted to make a thread to tell everyone my car runs fine. So it's very hard to judge just how many people have needed new piston rings or an engine.

Having records every 10K of dealership service is a great thing. It shows the car has only been touched by Volvo. Would Volvo step up and help if the vehicle has an oil consumption issue? MAYBE. And I say MAYBE because the vehicle was exclusively serviced at Volvo. What help if any Volvo would give is hard to say due to age and mileage.

4. If you have the issue, let me know. We can try to contact Volvo and see what can be done. I've helped a bunch of people on here with similar issues get results. But none with 130K. Never hurts to try.

5. See #3. Yes, my car is fine at 52,000. Does that mean the vehicle will never develop the issue? No. I hope to hell I don't have the problem, but I don't think there's any hard and fast rule that excludes a car. But I'd say if you made it to 130K, chances are the vehicle will continue to run well if properly serviced.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Thanks for the replys so far. I probably have the highest mileage one in the country!

The car had every oil change done consistently at the dealer. They are consistent too. I asked the service advisor to check over the docs and he said that he didnt see any note or indication that it ever came in with low oil. I checked the oil level first thing tonight when I got the car and it was right at full ( I know the level sensor isnt super accurate) im going to buy a bore scope and see if I can find anything. Its had spark plugs replaced twice. Its in amazing shape overall. Still drives like new.

I know my rings arent getting any newer but Its not hard to assume that I am "off the hook" considering how so many had failure so early on. Ill have to try and check my serial number and see where I stand. Atleast I can hopefully let people know how great these cars even with high miles, if maintained. Ill keep an eye on the oil and if it drops then ill have to bore scope and try something heavier. I might buy an aftermarket warranty for $100/month just in case.
Take that $100/month and throw it into a rainy day fund, be it a bank account set aside for repairs or an investment. Those 3rd party warranties are garbage. They find any reason to wiggle out of paying for a repair, so you'll just be tossing money at them for no real satisfaction. Then if you do have the problem, money is set aside to address it.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
TJ 31216 ... From engine serial number: 1501327, engines have been modified from engine factory ...

Your engine, like mine (not even 30k yet) are members of The Club. No issues for me yet and hoping mine conducts itself like yours.
Dear lord, you have a 2015.5 with only 30K? You the original owner? Someone doesn't drive a lot! I've had my 2015.5 since June 16 and I've put over 50,000 miles on the clock in the last 3.5 years!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
On a car with 130k miles on the clock?

OP just needs to track the oil level very carefully and hope the prior owner left him/her with a stack of service records from a Volvo dealer in the event there is significant oil usage in an attempt to have the repair goodwilled. Without service records from a Volvo dealer I think that a goodwill repair would be a stretch.

It's anybody's guess of the likelihood that this engine develops a problem.
Pretty simple. If only oil changes done at Volvo but not services. His chances with 130K vehicle are zero to none. If the vehicle has been exclusively serviced at Volvo from 10-130k, there's always a chance for good will. Even with high miles. Because Volvo can see the car was "babied" properly and the issue cannot be attributed to other factors.

Either way, if and how much good will would be offered is pure conjecture on everyone's part. Volvo handles these case by case.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
It wouldn't be an oil consumption thread without MyVolvoS60. I would recommend emailing the executives now, just in case. Let them know that if there is any problem with the used car with 130k miles then you are coming for them.

Sarcasm, of course. I've never seen a goodwill case approved over 100,000 miles. But you don't even have the car yet. Welcome to the world of wild speculation that is Swedespeed.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
It wouldn't be an oil consumption thread without MyVolvoS60. I would recommend emailing the executives now, just in case. Let them know that if there is any problem with the used car with 130k miles then you are coming for them.

Sarcasm, of course. I've never seen a goodwill case approved over 100,000 miles. But you don't even have the car yet. Welcome to the world of wild speculation that is Swedespeed.
Having records every 10K of dealership service is a great thing. It shows the car has only been touched by Volvo. Would Volvo step up and help if the vehicle has an oil consumption issue? MAYBE. And I say MAYBE because the vehicle was exclusively serviced at Volvo. What help if any Volvo would give is hard to say due to age and mileage.

If you have the issue, let me know. We can try to contact Volvo and see what can be done. I've helped a bunch of people on here with similar issues get results. But none with 130K. Never hurts to try.
YES he doesn't have the car. He asked a question. And he was given an answer based upon IF the car had an issue. The car is high mileage. IF or WHEN the car had a problem, he could ALWAYS ask for help. Doesn't mean he'll get any, especially since a car over 100K and without any type of warranty. Unless of course someone purchased an extended one, which OP seems to have indicated doesn't exist.

That being said, I think OP's fears are more from reading the problems on here than anything else. Forums are OFTEN littered with people seeking resolution, so perception is skewed. People rarely come on here to say I LOVE my T5 and it isn't burning oil. Everyone please share if your T5 isn't consuming oil.

No need to be snide or sarcastic. I've helped a lot of people on here and just giving him my opinion.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Dear lord, you have a 2015.5 with only 30K? You the original owner? Someone doesn't drive a lot! I've had my 2015.5 since June 16 and I've put over 50,000 miles on the clock in the last 3.5 years!
Original owner of both; the C30 only has 35k. Live close to work and can count on one hand the 1/2 to multi-day road trips I've done. Also remember when, on said road trips, I've picked up paint chips to soil the otherwise pristine paint on both cars. Thus, the aversion to road trips... Change to oil yearly...just to change it; and tires get replaced at six years with usable tread on them. Life is good (or, it could always be worse...)

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Original owner of both; the C30 only has 35k. Live close to work and can count on one hand the 1/2 to multi-day road trips I've done. Also remember when, on said road trips, I've picked up paint chips to soil the otherwise pristine paint on both cars. Thus, the aversion to road trips... Change to oil yearly...just to change it; and tires get replaced at six years with usable tread on them. Life is good (or, it could always be worse...)
Those dastardly rock chips are a pain in the ass. My car has it's fair share since I drive a lot. Highway has created a few surface chip in windshield due to the debris off trucks and idiots that haul things. Inevitable I guess. But overall, minus a nice 8 inch deep scratch that's paperclip sized (don't know who or what did that to me car) vehicle is in otherwise great condition. Rock chips are minor.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Those dastardly rock chips are a pain in the ass. My car has it's fair share since I drive a lot. Highway has created a few surface chip in windshield due to the debris off trucks and idiots that haul things. Inevitable I guess. But overall, minus a nice 8 inch deep scratch that's paperclip sized (don't know who or what did that to me car) vehicle is in otherwise great condition. Rock chips are minor.
There are ways to protect your finish from most chips. Our V60 has the entire front end covered with clear bra and, while the film does show evidence of having done its job, the underlying paint remains undamaged. To our minds, it is worth the investment.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a 2015.5 with the e-drive. I change my oil every 5K with the proper grade and spec oil and Volvo oil filters. The engine consumes a little over a quart in 5K miles. I don't think I'm in the consumption area, but I've had cars which only consume about 0.25 to a 0.5 qt in that time period. It may be due to the thinner oils that the modern cars run. I bought the car at 16K July 2018 and I'm at 40K now. Great car and great highway cruiser. I can deal with one quart between oil changes. I, like others, hope this doesn't increase in consumption. I bought it at CarMax and I do my own oil changes, so if I get consumption, it may be a harder sell for goodwill

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I have a 2015.5 with the e-drive. I change my oil every 5K with the proper grade and spec oil and Volvo oil filters. The engine consumes a little over a quart in 5K miles. I don't think I'm in the consumption area, but I've had cars which only consume about 0.25 to a 0.5 qt in that time period. It may be due to the thinner oils that the modern cars run. I bought the car at 16K July 2018 and I'm at 40K now. Great car and great highway cruiser. I can deal with one quart between oil changes. I, like others, hope this doesn't increase in consumption. I bought it at CarMax and I do my own oil changes, so if I get consumption, it may be a harder sell for goodwill
Presuming your vehicle was bought in July 2018...Why didn't you ever take it into dealer for inspection? It would have been covered under the 4yr / 50k factory warranty? Now, chances are the car is outside that grace period. And yes, Volvo will not goodwill most cars that don't have a history of Volvo Services.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts