SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
101 - 120 of 142 Posts

· Registered
10,491 Posts
Funny thing is I'm usually the one that drives more for MPG. I coast early then brake early, accelerate evenly. She is heavy accelerate, brake heard. Coast? LOL One trip to Colombia with her taught me all I needed to know why she drives the ways she does. But i love dropping this down to sport mode and driving some RPMs lol This thing corners like a dream, accelerates quickly when I want it to. Outright FUN !
Sport mode is fun. Even if it's a T5 (4 Cylinder). It adds some pep to the Volvo's step. You have a FWD S60 I presume, too?

· Registered
10,491 Posts
Yes, FWD version. We were going for AWD but found this one w/ less than 29K and the gas mileage was enticing. Figured the Escape is AWD so we have that for when we need it.
I have a 15.5 FWD, too. Never considered AWD until thinking about it "after the fact"....Live and learn. There have definitely been a few occasions where I wish my vehicle was AWD. I slap Nokian Hakkapelitas on in the winter...But those don't overcome all scenarios. Been about 3 or 4 where I said AWD would have gotten me unstuck or past a given scenario.

Course, the other 99% of the time, I'm fine....But would come in handy... I did drive an AWD V60 as a demo / loaner last year, and really enjoyed the adventure. Felt weightier. That being said, FWD has better gas mileage, cheaper to maintain, and less to go wrong.

· Registered
4 Posts
Looks like my 2015.5 V60 needs pistons/rings.

I go through about 3 quarts of oil per 10000 miles, so it's not terrible. It has 116,500 miles on it. It did have a CPO warranty up to 100,000. I've mentioned it burning oil since about 70,000 (it was not documented). They told me it was normal, it's just the turbo. I mentioned it again at 90,000 and it was documented and they started and oil consumption test. I brought it back at 91,500 miles and they said oil consumption was normal. Now they are saying it needs rings.

Question, if I don't do the repair, how long will it last?

Another question, is there any chance it would be covered under the warranty since I did mention it multiple times?

Thanks!

· Registered
10,491 Posts
Looks like my 2015.5 V60 needs pistons/rings.

I go through about 3 quarts of oil per 10000 miles, so it's not terrible. It has 116,500 miles on it. It did have a CPO warranty up to 100,000. I've mentioned it burning oil since about 70,000 (it was not documented). They told me it was normal, it's just the turbo. I mentioned it again at 90,000 and it was documented and they started and oil consumption test. I brought it back at 91,500 miles and they said oil consumption was normal. Now they are saying it needs rings.

Question, if I don't do the repair, how long will it last?

Another question, is there any chance it would be covered under the warranty since I did mention it multiple times?

Thanks!
Who has serviced the car from 10,000 to 110,000 miles? That'll pretty much be the Yes or No Answer. If a Volvo Dealer has exclusively serviced your vehicle, then you stand a chance of reaching out to corporate and asking for good will. Especially since the issue has been documented at 70,000 and 90,000 miles, prior to the CPO ending.

If your maintenance has been done elsewhere, I wouldn't expect help from Volvo.

Either way let me know, i can help you craft a response to executive office.

· Registered
2,680 Posts
I go through about 3 quarts of oil per 10000 miles, so it's not terrible. It has 116,500 miles on it.
In my opinion, 3300 miles per quart is pretty reasonable for an engine with that many miles on it. If it were my car, I would not invest thousands of dollars on a ring job. I would simply remain vigilant on the oil level (sounds like you are) and drive it until the wheels fall off.

PS I am following my own advice for my 180k-mile GTI, which uses a quart per thousand miles.

· Registered
4 Posts
Who has serviced the car from 10,000 to 110,000 miles? That'll pretty much be the Yes or No Answer. If a Volvo Dealer has exclusively serviced your vehicle, then you stand a chance of reaching out to corporate and asking for good will. Especially since the issue has been documented at 70,000 and 90,000 miles, prior to the CPO ending.

If your maintenance has been done elsewhere, I wouldn't expect help from Volvo.

Either way let me know, i can help you craft a response to executive office.
I bought it used at 69k, so I don't know the previous history. But from the questions they were asking, they wanted to know what happened from 50 - 70k, so it looks like it wasn't serviced at a dealer, so not totally sure. Volvo dealer serviced it at 70k, independent shop did it at 80k, back to Volvo at 90k and 100k. I got the service records from 70k and the oil consumption was not documented on the ticket at 70k. It was at 90k.

Looks like Volvo offered to pay $500 of the $5400 + taxes. It's currently apart right now. I think I'm going to have them put it back together and just drive it...

I've opened a case with customer service and waiting to hear back from them.

· Registered
10,491 Posts
In my opinion, 3300 miles per quart is pretty reasonable for an engine with that many miles on it. If it were my car, I would not invest thousands of dollars on a ring job. I would simply remain vigilant on the oil level (sounds like you are) and drive it until the wheels fall off.

PS I am following my own advice for my 180k-mile GTI, which uses a quart per thousand miles.
Not sure this is accurate but...Google seems to say the engine holds 5.7 Quarts? Meaning he's burning 3 quarts every 5,250 miles! A little over half before his 10K changes! So if he waited until 10K engine would almost be bone dry.

https://www.noln.net/articles/966-tech-spec-2015-volvo-s60

Motor Oil: SAE 5W-30 Full synthetic meeting the minimum ACEA A5/B5 specifications; SAE 0W-30 is recommended for extreme driving conditions; capacity is 5.7 quarts (5.4 liters) for four-cylinder engines, 5.8 quarts (5.5 liters) for five-cylinder engines and 7.18 quarts (6.8 liters) for six-cylinder engines

· Registered
750 Posts
I was always told that was normal when I had my GTI. But to me, carrying around top up oil in the back of the car is not normal or something I've had to do for any other car I've owned

· Registered
3,829 Posts
I was always told that was normal when I had my GTI. But to me, carrying around top up oil in the back of the car is not normal or something I've had to do for any other car I've owned
It was also normal for my WRX. It burned about 1 qt between 3750 mile intervals from new off the lot.

I got rid of it at 159,000 miles when it started burning 1 qt every 900 miles!

· Registered
10,491 Posts
I bought it used at 69k, so I don't know the previous history. But from the questions they were asking, they wanted to know what happened from 50 - 70k, so it looks like it wasn't serviced at a dealer, so not totally sure. Volvo dealer serviced it at 70k, independent shop did it at 80k, back to Volvo at 90k and 100k. I got the service records from 70k and the oil consumption was not documented on the ticket at 70k. It was at 90k.

Looks like Volvo offered to pay $500 of the $5400 + taxes. It's currently apart right now. I think I'm going to have them put it back together and just drive it...

I've opened a case with customer service and waiting to hear back from them.
Unfortunately, I don't see your chances as being very high. I presume (but please clarify) the vehicle wasn't purchased from a Volvo Dealership. If this is an accurate statement, then a request for financial assistance may be a dead end. Volvo is going to argue, and rightfully so, they cannot track the history of the vehicle from 40k?, 50 and 60k. My suggestion is order the CarFax and see if there are any notations on who serviced the car during this period. You can people online that can pull the CarFax for around $5. I've used that method before.

Service is free from 10-30k, so I believe you are missing the 40, 50 and 60K records. Short of filling in those gaps, you are probably out of luck. It also doesn't help an independent shop did the 80K. Ultimately, you've opened a case and that can't hurt, but I wouldn't get your hopes up here.

Curiosity, how much was the purchase price of the vehicle at 69,000 miles? Do you have a 15 or 15.5? Reason I'm asking is if Volvo declines assistance, it might pay to drive the car til it dies. If you've spent say $14,000 on the vehicle, does throwing $5k to repair make sense? Only you can be the judge of that question.

· Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't see your chances as being very high. I presume (but please clarify) the vehicle wasn't purchased from a Volvo Dealership. If this is an accurate statement, then a request for financial assistance may be a dead end. Volvo is going to argue, and rightfully so, they cannot track the history of the vehicle from 40k?, 50 and 60k. My suggestion is order the CarFax and see if there are any notations on who serviced the car during this period. You can people online that can pull the CarFax for around $5. I've used that method before.

Service is free from 10-30k, so I believe you are missing the 40, 50 and 60K records. Short of filling in those gaps, you are probably out of luck. It also doesn't help an independent shop did the 80K. Ultimately, you've opened a case and that can't hurt, but I wouldn't get your hopes up here.

Curiosity, how much was the purchase price of the vehicle at 69,000 miles? Do you have a 15 or 15.5? Reason I'm asking is if Volvo declines assistance, it might pay to drive the car til it dies. If you've spent say $14,000 on the vehicle, does throwing $5k to repair make sense? Only you can be the judge of that question.
It was not a Volvo dealer that I bought it from.

Volvo has offered $500 but that's it. They said it is too far outside of goodwill guidelines and it doesn't matter that I brought up the issue at 90k miles. We did an oil consumption test (starting at 90k and bringing it back at 93k) and they said it was fine.

I paid about 15k for it ($17k after taxes, fees, etc.). No, it doesn't seem like a good idea to spend $5800 on this repair. I'll just have them put it back together, do the 116,500 mile service (which includes plugs which looks like it needs them anyways. The plugs were warranty replaced at the 70k service, due to possible breaking warranty recall), and just keep an eye on it.

· Registered
10,491 Posts
It was not a Volvo dealer that I bought it from.

Volvo has offered $500 but that's it. They said it is too far outside of goodwill guidelines and it doesn't matter that I brought up the issue at 90k miles. We did an oil consumption test (starting at 90k and bringing it back at 93k) and they said it was fine.

I paid about 15k for it ($17k after taxes, fees, etc.). No, it doesn't seem like a good idea to spend $5800 on this repair. I'll just have them put it back together, do the 116,500 mile service (which includes plugs which looks like it needs them anyways. The plugs were warranty replaced at the 70k service, due to possible breaking warranty recall), and just keep an eye on it.
I own a 15.5 with ~72,000 miles on it. Owned it since May/June 2016 with 2200 miles as Demo / Loaner. Came as a CPO. The oil consumption issue has been a big worry of mine and I hope if something happens, it does so before 100K. My car is an exclusively Volvo serviced vehicle. So in my case, I'd play this up to my benefit.

Unfortunately, Volvo sees your vehicle as having too many gaps and what if's.

1. Wasn't purchased at Volvo
2. What happened during the 40-50-60K. Again, you MIGHT be able to nudge some good will if you buy CarFax and find a Volvo dealer did these services.
3. Not doing the 80K wouldn't be a deal breaker if you could at least prove the 10-70K and 90K were done at Volvo.

Ultimately, it sucks to have spent $15,000 (17K after taxes) to wind up with a dud. Volvo had the piston ring issues in the 15s and early 16s. I truly wish there was a recall on the matter, as I find it crummy that Volvo leaves the owner holding the bag for a design flaw. Unfortunately, Volvo wasn't the only manufacturer plagued by the issue. You might try reaching out to these guys http://newjerseyclassactionlawyer.net/volvo-oil-consumption-defect-class-action-lawsuit/ and seeing if anything has moved forward on a class action. I googled that while ago for someone else who had an issue.

In the mean time, if I were in your shoes, I'd just dump oil in the engine and keep it running until the wheels fall off. Hopefully the consumption problem doesn't worsen over time. But chances are, these problems don't get better.

· Registered
913 Posts
I don't think it would matter if the car was serviced at a Volvo dealership for every single service. At +100k miles, I don't think you would get much more goodwill than $500.

I'm still waiting for the person with a VIP Volvo warranty with legit oil consumption in which Volvo recommends new pistons/rings. We all know that "oil consumption" isn't covered by the warranty, but "pistons and rings" are, yet we have no real world data-point of what the VIP warranty adjuster has done for someone in that situation. If we find out that the VIP warranty covers it, I think we should officially recommend that people NOT bring this issue up to their service advisor until after they have purchased a warranty.

· Registered
10,491 Posts
I don't think it would matter if the car was serviced at a Volvo dealership for every single service. At +100k miles, I don't think you would get much more goodwill than $500.
I think circumstances mean everything. Wildcard said the problem was first documented at 90K. If he had a CPO (old one 7yr / 100K), and the issue progressed to ring replacement at another 10 or 20K, Volvo may step up and offer good will. Especially if the vehicle was exclusively serviced at Volvo.

Even if the Old CPO wasn't present, I believe issue being diagnosed at less than 100K would hold some clout in asking for assistance. Again, with the assumption the car was serviced exclusively at Volvo.

In Wildcard's case, neither of these scenarios fit. So he's out of luck in my opinion beyond the $500 Volvo offered. His best bet is checking with those attorneys to see if anything was ever done about doing a class action. If I were in his shoes, I couldn't justify dumping $5k into a vehicle he purchased at $15k. Unless of course he planned to keep the car long term and everything else about the vehicle was in superior condition.

I'm still waiting for the person with a VIP Volvo warranty with legit oil consumption in which Volvo recommends new pistons/rings. We all know that "oil consumption" isn't covered by the warranty, but "pistons and rings" are, yet we have no real world data-point of what the VIP warranty adjuster has done for someone in that situation. If we find out that the VIP warranty covers it, I think we should officially recommend that people NOT bring this issue up to their service advisor until after they have purchased a warranty.
About the only way this would come into play is if the car burned enough oil to trash the engine before a 10K service interval. I would think that before the car ever got to this point, a Volvo tech would notate a consumption issue. Meaning the owner would be stuck dumping oil into the vehicle, hoping at some point the rings fail. Otherwise, the warranty pays nothing.

· Registered
913 Posts
About the only way this would come into play is if the car burned enough oil to trash the engine before a 10K service interval. I would think that before the car ever got to this point, a Volvo tech would notate a consumption issue. Meaning the owner would be stuck dumping oil into the vehicle, hoping at some point the rings fail. Otherwise, the warranty pays nothing.
You are making assumptions about what would happen without basing it on anyone's actual experience. There is a TJ on oil consumption. If a car clearly has an oil consumption issue, Volvo is recommending piston/ring jobs to fix it. Owners haven't had to trash their engines in order for Volvo to recommend the fix (after breather box). The warranty adjuster gets called in when the fix is recommended on a warrantied car. We just don't know (on this board) how the Volvo VIP warranty adjusters are treating this problem.

· Registered
10,491 Posts
You are making assumptions about what would happen without basing it on anyone's actual experience. There is a TJ on oil consumption. If a car clearly has an oil consumption issue, Volvo is recommending piston/ring jobs to fix it. Owners haven't had to trash their engines in order for Volvo to recommend the fix (after breather box). The warranty adjuster gets called in when the fix is recommended on a warrantied car. We just don't know (on this board) how the Volvo VIP warranty adjusters are treating this problem.
The new VIP Warranties exclude consumption issues. So they will NOT make repairs to the engine related to consumption unless it results in failure. I believe Tech and others on here have stated that before.

The Breather Box is the first line of testing. Volvo doesn't pay for it if not under Warranty / Old CPO. And if breather fails to resolve the issue, and it turns out to be the rings, Volvo won't pay for it outside of the standard warranty / old CPO. New VIP warranty has verbiage that excludes consumption.

I'm making no assumptions. I can read the contract from Volvo.....http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9779/~/vip-platinum-coverage

What's not understood by this disclaimer?

Because so many parts are covered, it is easier to mention the items that are not covered. See the list below:

Burnt valves, worn or carbon fouled piston rings, any mechanical breakdown resulting from a build up of carbon, the correction of oil consumption, or any repairs for reduction in engine efficiency that must be performed on your Volvo.

· Registered
913 Posts
The new VIP Warranties exclude consumption issues. So they will NOT make repairs to the engine related to consumption unless it results in failure. I believe Tech and others on here have stated that before.

The Breather Box is the first line of testing. Volvo doesn't pay for it if not under Warranty / Old CPO. And if breather fails to resolve the issue, and it turns out to be the rings, Volvo won't pay for it outside of the standard warranty / old CPO. New VIP warranty has verbiage that excludes consumption.

I'm making no assumptions. I can read the contract from Volvo.....http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9779/~/vip-platinum-coverage

What's not understood by this disclaimer?

Because so many parts are covered, it is easier to mention the items that are not covered. See the list below:

Burnt valves, worn or carbon fouled piston rings, any mechanical breakdown resulting from a build up of carbon, the correction of oil consumption, or any repairs for reduction in engine efficiency that must be performed on your Volvo.
There is nothing new about the warranty excluding oil consumption or worn piston rings. It was like that in the older contract too (I know because I bought one). But that isn't necessarily what is wrong with the piston rings on our cars. One could argue they are failing because of a DEFECT, not because they are worn, hence the new design. The truth is, no one has come on this board and said, "I had oil consumption bad enough that Volvo recommended a piston/ring job. I also had a VIP warranty. The VIP Warranty did/did not cover the piston/ring job." Since the warranty excludes worn piston rings while at the same time covers all internally lubricated engine parts, which includes pistons and rings, we really don't know how the warranty company will handle this until someone says, "This is what I had and this is what they did in my case." I thought I would be that data-point when I went through my saga. But alas, they found a completely broken piston and there was no question that was covered.

· Registered
10,491 Posts
There is nothing new about the warranty excluding oil consumption or worn piston rings. It was like that in the older contract too (I know because I bought one). But that isn't necessarily what is wrong with the piston rings on our cars. One could argue they are failing because of a DEFECT, not because they are worn, hence the new design. The truth is, no one has come on this board and said, "I had oil consumption bad enough that Volvo recommended a piston/ring job. I also had a VIP warranty. The VIP Warranty did/did not cover the piston/ring job." Since the warranty excludes worn piston rings while at the same time covers all internally lubricated engine parts, which includes pistons and rings, we really don't know how the warranty company will handle this until someone says, "This is what I had and this is what they did in my case." I thought I would be that data-point when I went through my saga. But alas, they found a completely broken piston and there was no question that was covered.
The Old 7 yr / 100K absolutely paid for Piston Ring Failure. Volvo didn't have knowledge of the problem so there was no exclusionary verbiage at the time. Volvo has seen enough of these failures now, to know they're costly and not one offs. The Piston Ring issue is definitely a defect, and Volvo isn't alone. Google Oil Consumption and you'll see Honda and other Manufacturers being Class Action'ed over the issue. There was some law firm in New Jersey looking to start one on Volvo. No idea whatever happened with that action.

New VIP warranties definitely exclude consumption. Any car outside Standard / CPO has potential to be stonewalled by Volvo. You aren't a good case study, as you were a rare exception. The VIP warranties definitely cover failure. So if someone is driving along in between their 10K visit, and the engine seizes due to piston failure, Volvo is on the hook. However, if someone rolls into the bay for a 10K service and Volvo notices the vehicle is down 3 courts, Volvo won't do squat. Volvo will tell the person to add oil in between visits. It's pretty clear that unless a failure results from the consumption issue, Volvo intends to ignore the problem.

Now if someone fights or asks for good will, they may have luck, but general rule seems to be "it's normal". Thus, people with other brands getting pissed and suing manufacturers.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts