SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, while driving in a rainstorm, a message popped up on my cluster to the effect that the car's rain sensor was not working. I didn't think much of it and the message never came back. Then I noticed that none of the interior lighting in the car was working. I consulted the fuse diagram and found that interior "courtesy lighting" and the rain sensor were on the same circuit. Bingo! I figured that a fuse blew and that it would be an easy fix. I pulled the fuse, and sure enough, it was blown.

I bought a 5-pack of 7.5 amp fuses and replaced the bad fuse. No dice. The lights still don't work. I pulled that new fuse and found that it had blown, so I replaced it with another one. Same deal. The fuses are blowing immediately upon installation.

Anyone had this issue before? Any thoughts on where to start looking? Where is the rain sensor and its wiring?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Did you leave your sunroof open in rain /car wash?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Clearly you have a short to ground, and it will take a VOM, volt ohm meter, to find where the short is located. My guess would be that the wiring insulation has been damaged in some specific spot, due to mechanical forces. It could be that when the sunroof is cycled open/closed, there is a wire out of place, and being abraded by the mechanism. The wiring is supposed to be tethered and sleeved in such a way that it does not get damaged.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The other likely place for a wire to flex, and short to ground, is the bundle of wires that run between the body of the car and the driver's side door. These wires are flexed every time the door is opened. They are covered with a sleeve, so you might have to remove this to inspect the wiring underneath.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The other likely place for a wire to flex, and short to ground, is the bundle of wires that run between the body of the car and the driver's side door. These wires are flexed every time the door is opened. They are covered with a sleeve, so you might have to remove this to inspect the wiring underneath.
Thanks. I don't think there is any reason for this circuit to run through the doors since there are no lights in the doors, right? Any chance you would know where to find a wiring diagram? I've pulled the lights in the ceiling fore and aft of the front seats, but don't see anything obvious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts