SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
My wife's 2015 V60 FWD E-Drive (great car by the way - downsized from an SUV and couldn't be happier minus this issue) is burning oil. We have about 5,000 miles on it and last week - for the second time - the low oil down a quart sensor/light came on. Both times our dealership has added a quart (it actually has been a quart low both time so it's not a sensor issue) and it's been fine. We haven't seen any burning oil or oil in the driveway, etc. There are no threads (that I can find) about this online. Our dealership has been speaking with "headquarters" and is doing a good job working through this with us. How concerned should I be and is this a known issue? I know Volvo is banking their future on this engine and I'm sure will do whatever it takes to fix it but I thought I'd ask for some opinions here. I'm supposed to hear what Volvo's recommendations are tomorrow although I heard this same thing last time and there really was no recommendation - just add oil.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hello!
My wife's 2015 V60 FWD E-Drive (great car by the way - downsized from an SUV and couldn't be happier minus this issue) is burning oil. We have about 5,000 miles on it and last week - for the second time - the low oil down a quart sensor/light came on. Both times our dealership has added a quart (it actually has been a quart low both time so it's not a sensor issue) and it's been fine. We haven't seen any burning oil or oil in the driveway, etc. There are no threads (that I can find) about this online. Our dealership has been speaking with "headquarters" and is doing a good job working through this with us. How concerned should I be and is this a known issue? I know Volvo is banking their future on this engine and I'm sure will do whatever it takes to fix it but I thought I'd ask for some opinions here. I'm supposed to hear what Volvo's recommendations are tomorrow although I heard this same thing last time and there really was no recommendation - just add oil.
There are other threads about this problem, but with the old T5 and T6 engines. Do a few more searches. The Volvo dealers will try and tell you that the consumption is normal. Demand an Oil Consumption Test. Also call the North American Volvo HQS and complain.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Anybody with an inline six V60 noticing "quick" oil consumption?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. The other thread was interesting but a different motor. I'd like something (and maybe that's demanding an oil consumption test) to go back to the dealer with. We keep our cars a long time and I'd like this one running right from the start.

·
Premium Member
39,289 Posts
The Volvo dealers will try and tell you that the consumption is normal.
What are you talking about? His dealer is working with him to try and resolve this issue...

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Anybody with an inline six V60 noticing "quick" oil consumption?
Yep. A quart low at at around 6K miles on our S60 T6 RD. No warning light though, I just did a routine check. I'm attributing it to new engine break-in for now, but having it serviced later this week, including an oil change...will keep an eye on it. Didn't notice this with the V60, but changed its oil at 5K miles.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The other thread was interesting but a different motor. I'd like something (and maybe that's demanding an oil consumption test) to go back to the dealer with. We keep our cars a long time and I'd like this one running right from the start.
I wouldn't assume you have an issue until after 10K miles, unless you see excess smoke from the tail pipe upon acceleration.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Sorry, the link was intended for AZPolestar. For your issue, keep working with the dealer. Someone on here had the low oil light come on at about 7500 on a Drive-E, but it appears his was a factory underfill of the oil since he now has 12k plus and it is still holding steady. Before going with an oil consumption test, I would have them drain the oil into a graduated measuring cup/bowl/pan etc. Since your car does not have a dipstick, I am curious if the electronic measuring device is faulty. By draining and measuring you can be sure its actually low. Source: 4 years of Audi ownership with an electronic oil level reader and severe oil burning, I have a Bachelors in oil consumption....:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
What are you talking about? His dealer is working with him to try and resolve this issue...
My dealer told me that the consumption of one quart per 3,800 miles was normal. That was for my 2012 S60 T5 with 32,000 on the clock. Furthermore, the shop papers they gave me after examining my car stated that one quart per 1,500 to 2,500 was considered normal by Volvo. I called Volvo and I was told that the dealer should have started an Oil Consumption Test. He said that he would call them for me, but the dealers sometimes get upset with the customer when Volvo HQS calls for the customer. I told the gentlemen that I would request the test when I go in next. He told me to call him if the dealer balked at the test.

That is what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Thanks for the link!

I also did the unthinkable, :) , and reread my owner's manual. It stated that for my I-6, at the low mark on the dipstick, only add ONE HALF quart. "Good to know."
Which then makes it only a half quart low ;)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I called Volvo and I was told that the dealer should have started an Oil Consumption Test.
I feel your pain! I can't tell you how many oil consumption tests visits I went through with my previous VW trying to get them to fix the thing before the warranty ran out. What a PITA, and even worse having to stock and add a quart of $7 oil every two weeks. In the end that car was up to 1qt/800 miles. I still think 1qt/3800 miles is no big deal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Curious to see how this goes. We have a 2015.5 V60 with the Drive-E 4 banger Turbo. Over 4k miles on it already and no oil issues to report. Hope they get you squared away.
FWIW car was driven from the Sweden factory to Oslo to Copenhagen to Frankfurt, Germany in the first 5 days of it's ownership. Since then it has been run mostly on Autobahns the past 4 months. Speeds have exceeded 120mph and I run 100-105 mph sustained whenever the unlimited zones appear and traffic allows. So it hasn't been babied and if any engine was going to burn oil in the first 4k miles I think it would be mine.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My V60 driveE has just over 6k and The Electronic Dip Stick says still full...YMMV...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Curious to see how this goes. We have a 2015.5 V60 with the Drive-E 4 banger Turbo. Over 4k miles on it already and no oil issues to report. Hope they get you squared away.
FWIW car was driven from the Sweden factory to Oslo to Copenhagen to Frankfurt, Germany in the first 5 days of it's ownership. Since then it has been run mostly on Autobahns the past 4 months. Speeds have exceeded 120mph and I run 100-105 mph sustained whenever the unlimited zones appear and traffic allows. So it hasn't been babied and if any engine was going to burn oil in the first 4k miles I think it would be mine.
I hope you really didn't use any oil, but the electronic dip stick can be misleading....see:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?215383-Drive-E-Electronic-Dipstick-Question

My V60 driveE has just over 6k and The Electronic Dip Stick says still full...YMMV...
And unfortunately, it will continue to say MAX until the actual level drops below MIN. I can't believe that Volvo took away the real dipstick and gave use this nice-looking but misleading display. The data for a proper display is in the computer because the dealers can measure the level with their equipment. And Volvo did a better electronic dipstick implementation for 5 cylinder diesels that shows the level to 1/4 Litre, as the display would lead you to believe.

If you have the car at the dealer for whatever reason, ask them to check the oil level. They did ours at no charge. They also said that the Drive-E engines are proving to be excellent on oil consumption.

BTW, if you are planning to do an extra DIY oil change, the following may be of interest:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?219388-How-to-Change-Drive-E-T6-(and-T5-)-Oil

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hello!
First, welcome to Swedespeed.

Did the indicator come on without you checking the oil level? That would be a positive benefit of the electronic dipstick, which has other issues as I have posted below.

Our dealer said that the Drive-E engines are proving to be excellent on oil consumption, indicating that this not a known issue and that there may indeed be a rare problem with yours. Continue working with your dealer. They can check the oil level with far greater precision than the oil level display.

I did a quick Google search on "volvo drive-e burning oil" to confirm that the problem is rare. The only real hit was this thread, but there were many responses regarding Drive-E diesels, which of course burn oil by design. ;-)

·
Registered
901 Posts
... Someone on here had the low oil light come on at about 7500 on a Drive-E, but it appears his was a factory underfill of the oil since he now has 12k plus and it is still holding steady. Before going with an oil consumption test, I would have them drain the oil into a graduated measuring cup/bowl/pan etc. Since your car does not have a dipstick, I am curious if the electronic measuring device is faulty. By draining and measuring you can be sure its actually low. Source: 4 years of Audi ownership with an electronic oil level reader and severe oil burning, I have a Bachelors in oil consumption....:)
I hope he really didn't use any oil, but the electronic dip stick can be misleading....see:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...stick-Question

Concur on measuring how much oil is in there..that's what i did.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?219388-How-to-Change-Drive-E-T6-(and-T5-)-Oil

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
OP any updates?

1 - 20 of 268 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.