SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just bought my car in May of last year. A few weeks ago, the "power steering service" notification came on; took the car in for service; they can't find anything wrong but the notification is still on. Apparently, the computers are saying there's nothing wrong with the car, however, the notification says there is. Supposedly, the service dept sent a message to the manufacturer but I haven't heard from them. Just called service dept, again, this morning and am getting no answers. Anyone else having any issues in regards to power steering? :confused:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Hi. I just bought my car in May of last year. A few weeks ago, the "power steering service" notification came on; took the car in for service; they can't find anything wrong but the notification is still on. Apparently, the computers are saying there's nothing wrong with the car, however, the notification says there is. Supposedly, the service dept sent a message to the manufacturer but I haven't heard from them. Just called service dept, again, this morning and am getting no answers. Anyone else having any issues in regards to power steering? :confused:
Never had that happen on my 2012 T5 and don't recall seeing this issue on the forum.
It might just be a software issue if you don't notice any operational problems.

Personally, I would keep bugging the dealer to get the answer. If you don't push them they might not keep up with it. They own the issue so don't let them off the hook and keep calling till they give you an answer and get it resolved.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
You don't mention where you live but if you keep getting the runaround, start bringing up lemon law. Contact them not less than weekly (try to schedule an appointment that often). After all, a notification wouldn't exist if it wasn't important.

Almaz -- the 2012 and 2015 systems are different. We have electro-hydraulic (electric motor running hydraulic pump). Melz has a pure electric power steering system.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Lemon law?? The dealer hasn't even heard back from corporate yet. Sounds like a bug let corporate figure it out first.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Lemon law?? The dealer hasn't even heard back from corporate yet. Sounds like a bug let corporate figure it out first.
Yeah you are a long ways from being able to Lemon Law it... varies by state but usually you have to let the dealer fix a problem at least a couple times, plus it has do actually take them at least X days, etc...

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Or if the problem remains unfixed for a period of time.

I'm not suggesting the OP needs to invoke a Lemon Law at this point, but it has been "a few weeks" ("few" is usually more than 2) and he is "getting no answers". If the dealer (and/or VCNA) is not resolving the issue, knowing that they could get back an unsellable car could increase their motivation level.

Assuming this is triggering the red warning symbol, my (admittedly 2012) owner's manual says "Stop in a safe place. Do not drive the vehicle further."

Personally, I'd be worried that power steering (the boost) could drop out at any moment affecting controlability.

This is a bit more than a rattle in a speaker, this is a system warning and implies a safety issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2015.5 S60 T5 (Drive-E) that I just purchased last week. It has less than 250 miles on it. I've seen this "Power Steering Service Required" message twice now - both times on a fresh start. I cleared the message with my stalk and it went away for the duration of the car start.

I took my car to the dealer on Tuesday and they, too, said they couldn't find any codes. They are trying to talk to Volvo about it, but the Volvo "systems were down." They checked and there were no software updates or anything for the system, either.

Naturally, searching for this problem led me here. Was just wondering if OP had any resolution or word from his dealer?

Not impressed. I had my last S60 for 13 years and 280k miles and didn't have any ghost issues like this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
FYI OP and others,

I got the car back from the dealer. There was a "PSCM" (power steering control module) software update and they checked the electrical connections, but didn't find anything.

If your dealer is still jerking you around, there may indeed be an update. Mine worked with Volvo engineering remotely to get it applied, they said.

My car is definitely a pre-June build as it has manual lumbar. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Not impressed. I had my last S60 for 13 years and 280k miles and didn't have any ghost issues like this.
While I can certainly understand your concerns, new model quirks should be no surprise (and the reason many avoid first model year major changes) and a "Power Steering Service Required" message is not like you're stranded on the side of the road. I had a similar issue with my 2012 back in 2011. I was getting a SRS Urgent Service Required warning at times. A software update fixed that as well.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
A lot less electronics, a lot fewer computers, more weight, fewer issues detected by the system.

Unfortunately, with software, there are so many possible "error points" that it is not possible to test them all. Somewhere along the line an event will occur in the real world that was never encountered in testing -- no matter how many automated testing tools were used, how many miles were driven, or how many conditions they thought they tested.

·
Registered
988 Posts
We all know our car will not replicate when it hits the service lot. Two things may help...

1. In your case, take a snapshot of the warning. Regardless if they find a code, they can't deny the warning if you have a pic or vid. Email it to them.

2. Feel free to contact VCNA directly via the website. Give the service mgr a fair shot first. I've had pretty good luck with going direct to NA.

I had a litany of issues with my '12 that even had the engine pulled with a new flywheel and starter installed.

Through it all, used videos (burned to CD & given to svs mgr), emailed pics, notes/TSBs found here on Swedespeed (this was the most helpful) and mails directly to VCNA.

And a measure of patience.

Found if you help them to the logical path that they were way more receptive to help find "where's Waldo" - whatever the mysterious issue. But I had to do a lot of research and talk with people here who are a lot smarter on these things than I. This worked with 2 shops on the Volvo and 1 shop with our Toyota. All were very appreciative. Got new bakes and rotors all the way around on the 4Runner while 20,000 mi out of warranty, it works. And we didn't have to be an arse to do it, quite the opposite. We were part of the team.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^great post on the advantages of standing your ground, civility and just plain being nice^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
We all know our car will not replicate when it hits the service lot. Two things may help...

1. In your case, take a snapshot of the warning. Regardless if they find a code, they can't deny the warning if you have a pic or vid. Email it to them.
Not necessarily, I had an intermittent problem with the auto climate control on my previous VW. It would suddenly think is was colder inside the cabin and crank the heat. I was able to put the control in service mode which showed on the digital display what it thought the inside temperature was and I used a thermometer next to it to show the actual temp and took a picture. The service person said they could not accept pictures, they had to see it for themselves of course it would never happen when I was there. Very frustrating experience, as if I was making this up!!

·
Registered
24 Posts

2. Feel free to contact VCNA directly via the website. Give the service mgr a fair shot first. I've had pretty good luck with going direct to NA.

I had a litany of issues with my '12 that even had the engine pulled with a new flywheel and starter installed.

Through it all, used videos (burned to CD & given to svs mgr), emailed pics, notes/TSBs found here on Swedespeed (this was the most helpful) and mails directly to VCNA.

And a measure of patience.

Found if you help them to the logical path that they were way more receptive to help find "where's Waldo" - whatever the mysterious issue. But I had to do a lot of research and talk with people here who are a lot smarter on these things than I. This worked with 2 shops on the Volvo and 1 shop with our Toyota. All were very appreciative. Got new bakes and rotors all the way around on the 4Runner while 20,000 mi out of warranty, it works. And we didn't have to be an arse to do it, quite the opposite. We were part of the team.

YMMV
Yeah, service manager was super helpful. Gave me a loaner, was very understanding, and software updates etc.

Light has not come back on so far! We will see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts