SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I have never owned a volvo. I currently drive a BMW X1. I have recently been looking at RD's and found one in my area. It is a 2015 red with Nav, BLIS, etc. it has about 6k miles on it. It is listed for around $36.5k. The dealer told me it was a demo type car in another state driven by an exec. I have no idea is true.

So here are my questions:
1. Does the explanation sound legit?
2. Is that price good? It looks like the initial MSRP was around $48k.

It looks so sweet in pics. I would love to pull the trigger but I am nervous :facepalm:

Many thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Hi,

So I have never owned a volvo. I currently drive a BMW X1. I have recently been looking at RD's and found one in my area. It is a 2015 red with Nav, BLIS, etc. it has about 6k miles on it. It is listed for around $36.5k. The dealer told me it was a demo type car in another state driven by an exec. I have no idea is true.

So here are my questions:
1. Does the explanation sound legit?
2. Is that price good? It looks like the initial MSRP was around $48k.

It looks so sweet in pics. I would love to pull the trigger but I am nervous :facepalm:

Many thanks,
Ryan
Hi Ryan, welcome to the community. The S60 RD is a great car. A 2105 is now actually 2 MY's old as there was both a 2015.5 and now a 2016. What makes you nervous? What things do you care about in a car?

Who cares who drove it last. It matters what condition it is in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi P50. Thanks for the warm welcome. I guess not knowing the dealership or even the state for that matter makes me nervous. I guess I am not sure why a car like that would go to an auction when it could be sold on the lot. Hope that makes sense. It could definitely just be a case of me being paranoid.:)

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Hi P50. Thanks for the warm welcome. I guess not knowing the dealership or even the state for that matter makes me nervous. I guess I am not sure why a car like that would go to an auction when it could be sold on the lot. Hope that makes sense. It could definitely just be a case of me being paranoid.:)
Is it at a Volvo dealer? If not, that is your answer. Dealers have no confidence in their ability to sell cars that cost that much, so want them out of their inventory as quick as possible. The reason I asked what you care about in your cars is because there was an update in the UI for MY 2015.5 and some other minor interior changes, otherwise the 2015 is pretty much the same car as is on sale today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are some things I would miss in the .5 like the heated steering wheel, but the lesser cost allows me the opportunity to get in the car.
As for where, it is at a Volvo dealership currently. Prior to that, I can only tell that it was sold at an auction with 5k miles on it.

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Welcome to swedespeed. I recommend getting the Volvo Certified Pre-Owned warranty included in the deal. 7yrs/100k miles. Price seems fair.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
There are some things I would miss in the .5 like the heated steering wheel, but the lesser cost allows me the opportunity to get in the car.
As for where, it is at a Volvo dealership currently. Prior to that, I can only tell that it was sold at an auction with 5k miles on it.
Got it. I'm assuming you have had the chance to drive the car then. If not, definitely drive it and not just around the block. S60 RD are beautiful and a ton of fun to drive but some people find the ride a little too harsh for their liking. I personally prefer the firmer ride. Even if you have already driven it, take it out again and pay attention to creaks and rattles. If everything sounds solid to you, great. Is the car CPO or does the fact that the car previously went to auction stop them from being able to do that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is not certified unfortunately but most do the warranty is left and valid. I agree on the lengthy test drive.

Thanks Chris for chiming in as well. So the cost seems decent to you? I wonder how much wiggle room is there. I was hoping to get for like $34.5k but that is about $2k off. On the phone they said they had very little wiggle room.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
It is not certified unfortunately but most do the warranty is left and valid. I agree on the lengthy test drive.

Thanks Chris for chiming in as well. So the cost seems decent to you? I wonder how much wiggle room is there. I was hoping to get for like $34.5k but that is about $2k off. On the phone they said they had very little wiggle room.
See if it can be certified and use that as a negotiating tool. Price does seem fair.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would second getting it certified. The Volvo certified warranty is much better than bmw/Audi. It covers 7 years / 100k miles and there is no deductible. It's amazing the kind of deals you can get on lightly used volvos. I would negotiate on price and the certification.

·
Registered
155 Posts
"The dealer told me it was a demo type car in another state driven by an exec"
One of the oldest dealer lines. Just saying. The price seems fine but that smarmy bs irks me. If they bought it at auction they have zero idea of its past.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had same thought Savedsol. It seemed slimy to me even though it could be true. I wish dealerships were 'normal' as I feel they would do more business

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Latest update-decided to pass on this car. The dealership in email said that they didn't have any additional room or offers on their car. They also would not discuss my trade. I understand that they cannot quote a value on my car, but I was hoping for an idea or ballpark. I am not going to drive 2 hours and have any lowball tactics.
Disappointed but in no rush so will keep looking.
Thanks again to all for your input-very helpful.

·
Registered
13,983 Posts
Driving 2 hours to buy a car is nothing. I have driven much further to put a deal together. Regarding the risk of lowball tactics, just walk if you don't get the deal you want - it's not that much an investment of your time, IMHO. To get a ballpark on your trade, look at online sources like kbb, nada, Edmunds, etc.

This could be a Volvo exec car that was then auctioned - I don't understand the concern, this is pretty typical practice. The major difference between the '15 and '15.5 is the Sensus update, which has gotten mixed reviews.

Welcome to swedespeed and good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Latest update-decided to pass on this car. The dealership in email said that they didn't have any additional room or offers on their car. They also would not discuss my trade. I understand that they cannot quote a value on my car, but I was hoping for an idea or ballpark. I am not going to drive 2 hours and have any lowball tactics.
Disappointed but in no rush so will keep looking.
Thanks again to all for your input-very helpful.
Don't you Americans have Car Max? I remember when I read Inside Line, they loved selling their cars to Car Max.

Try talking to the sales manager and show that you are highly interested in the car. If they still say no and don't want to work something out with you, then you did the right thing imo.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Don't you Americans have Car Max? I remember when I read Inside Line, they loved selling their cars to Car Max.

Try talking to the sales manager and show that you are highly interested in the car. If they still say no and don't want to work something out with you, then you did the right thing imo.
You will take a beating by going to CarMax. They always lowball. Plus, depending on what state the OP is in, there could be a tax advantage by trading the car in rather than selling it separately.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also agree two hours is not bad. I live in New Mexico where we have pretty slim pickings and got our xc60 r-design from a lease return in San Fran. We used lemon squad to do the vehicle inspection and then the dealer shipped the car to us. First time I ever bought a car without seeing it. It all worked out. But it was still under factory warranty and certified.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to all for your thoughts. I agree that 2 hours is doable, however I was talking to the sales manager and really got the sense that there was no more room. If he even said hey come down and maybe we can figure something out, I would have gone.

It may be a good car and decent price, but I need it at a lower cost due to trade, etc. I was only looking for like another $1k off on the price. I guess if they do not sell it soon maybe they will reach out again and I will have more leverage.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
"The dealer told me it was a demo type car in another state driven by an exec"
One of the oldest dealer lines. Just saying. The price seems fine but that smarmy bs irks me. If they bought it at auction they have zero idea of its past.
Not necessarily.

It could have been driven by a Volvo senior manager and that is very likely, given it is an R-design.

Case in point, my company car (see my signature). I am about to turn it in; thankfully, I have retailers in my area of responsibility who are sold on r-designs and buy them when I am done; they turn around and sell them within days. If my retailers did not have the confidence in selling the R-designs, my cars could end up at another state.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts