SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who saw my last post, I bought a 2 owner 2015 P* from CarMax about 5 weeks ago. After two weeks of owning it, it threw timing and died. I had only owned the car for 2 weeks at that point and since it has been a weird back and forth between me and CarMax on the next move. CarMax for the record have been great as far as customer service and I have had a loaner car the whole time. Below is a break down of what has occurred up until now. Note, I bought a full warranty through CarMax.

Carmax send car to Volvo to diagnose and hope they will fix under factory warranty.
Volvo say no way Jose on the fix, but say it could be something as small as a valve cover replacement or a full engine rebuild.
Carmax get the car back and send to an indy dealer that specialize in Euro cars.
Indy dealer tears down the engine and confirm it needs a full engine rebuild.
CarMax then has to decide whether the juice is worth the squeeze on rebuilding the engine, or sorting something else out for me.

So the latest is they decided to rebuild the engine. They are waiting on Volvo to give an estimate on how long this will take, but I am guessing at least a couple weeks. I had already started looking at other cars, but am glad that i get to keep this one.

ill update when I get more news, I'm frustrated but just happy this saga is coming to a final resolution.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for the update. So your warranty is covering you on this, right? Is Volvo doing the rebuild? Make sure you keep the documentation.

I'm curious how many other P* with the inline 6 were affected by this. I'm sure CarMax had done their own inspection prior to accepting it, since no one wins when something like this occurs. If you get a chance to ask Volvo, please do.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
The thread below is the only situation I recall reading between this site and the FB group that gets a lot more traffic. I don't know if the situations are similar.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...g-an-engine-swap-please-advise&highlight=ludo
Thanks for that link. This was why I would ask Volvo corporate directly on the percentage of failure (preferably for all models) if requested. I don't want to wholly rely on a forum/social media outlet. Of course, Volvo will likely be like lots of other mfgs and choose not to answer...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, CarMax is paying and yes, Volvo is doing the work. Not sure if they came to some agreement or not, but I am happy I get to hold on to this car.

They quoted me a couple of weeks for the work. Should have the parts in by Thursday and then the work finished the following week.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, CarMax is paying and yes, Volvo is doing the work. Not sure if they came to some agreement or not, but I am happy I get to hold on to this car.

They quoted me a couple of weeks for the work. Should have the parts in by Thursday and then the work finished the following week.
That's great - definitely good news. Did the indy find out _how_ this issue came up to begin with? I would have thought that the timing belt would be inspected prior to sale. Was it something else?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dang on three levels

Carmax in Pleasanton California offered me 29,000 for my v60 16 2015 at 55,000 miles

With that kind a buyer protection I guess I should’ve sold it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
That's great - definitely good news. Did the indy find out _how_ this issue came up to begin with? I would have thought that the timing belt would be inspected prior to sale. Was it something else?
The six has a timing chain and for those motors that have a belt it's typically the tensioner that goes - totally without warning and no real way to diagnose beforehand.

And no, like was suggested, you would never hear from Volvo what percentage has problems, etc. I just know that given folks' propensity to talk about problems with their cars on social media that anecdotally you hear very little about these motors which is a good thing I guess.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Dang on three levels

Carmax in Pleasanton California offered me 29,000 for my v60 16 2015 at 55,000 miles

With that kind a buyer protection I guess I should’ve sold it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a strong offer there. I got out of a lease I had a few weeks ago with Carmax - best offer by far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn’t ask. I will be sure to though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not sure if this was mentioned, apologies if it was: How many miles does the car have?

Please keep us posted regardless. Hopefully the rebuild is swift and you are back on the road in no time.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
In his other post he indicated that the car has 36k miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No updates as everywhere was closed today due to the poor weather on this side of the country. Hoping I still am able to get my car back next week as originally indicated.

Quick question, does changing gear from Drive to Sport mode cause any issues when the car is moving? Should it only be done while the car is stopped?

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Quick question, does changing gear from Drive to Sport mode cause any issues when the car is moving? Should it only be done while the car is stopped?
That should cause no issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That should cause no issue.
Ok, good, I didn’t think so.

So Volvo said the work will be done tomorrow and the car should be ready Wednesday. Can’t wait.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great plus having the six-cylinder version
The 3 L engine for 2015 and 16 has no internal mods

Only the extra Polestar features and tune

·
Registered
370 Posts
How did it go? Hopefully the car is all set. I'm still curious if Volvo would have any reasoning for the motor grenading.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got it back on Wednesday and asked to see the repair sheet... turns out one of the chain guides broke and once the repair was done, the bill was over $8k. The irony is I had a 2004 Audi S4 Avant, Nogaro blue, my dream affordable car and I sold it because those engines were notorious for this exact same thing happening!

I drove it Thursday and the check engine light came on. I guess I need to take it back and see whats up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Got it back on Wednesday and asked to see the repair sheet... turns out one of the chain guides broke and once the repair was done, the bill was over $8k. The irony is I had a 2004 Audi S4 Avant, Nogaro blue, my dream affordable car and I sold it because those engines were notorious for this exact same thing happening!

I drove it Thursday and the check engine light came on. I guess I need to take it back and see whats up.
Thanks for the update Guvna - really hope your Polestar gets sorted out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts