SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and have tried to do some searching and found lots of threads but info seems to be all over the place. Hoping that if I layout my situation someone might be able to advise. My car:
2015.5 XC60 T5 Drive-E 2.0L Turbo Charged 240HP Currently sitting at 121,000 miles
I have always had all maintenance and service done when the car indicates that it is needed at a Volvo dealer. We originally bought the car new in Fort Worth but have recently moved to a suburb North of Houston. So we are dealing with a new (to us) dealership.

On Saturday, July 6 we returned home from a vacation-car had been sitting under cover at airport for 1 week. Proceeded toward home and after we stopped for gas and restarted car we got a low oil light. Let car sit in garage until Monday morning, July 8, called dealership and were told put a quart in and you should be fine. On Thursday evening, July 11, check engine light came on. We left car sitting in our garage until we could take it in for service on Thursday, July 18. Dealership called and said the thermostat needed to be replaced and the car was also 2 quarts low on oil. After we initiated conversation about spark plugs we discovered that my spark-plugs had never been changed (odd because this is recommended at 70,000-80,000 miles and we have always done the work recommended by the dealer). So we authorized thermostat replacement, an oil change and replacement of spark plugs. Dealer has recommended an oil consumption test at this time. I mistakenly thought spark plugs could maybe be an issue with oil (I'm a girl what do I know?)

So this is my question to the forum there is no oil leak that we can see or they can see. The service advisor indicated that if we come back in 1,500 miles and there is a loss of oil again we could be looking at needing to have the pistons replaced to the tune of $5,000 or more. I am having an hard time tracing the various threads on what we should be pushing for from Volvo on this. It appears it is a known issue? Am I correct in that assessment? Should we be pushing them on running this up to Volvo USA? Should we maybe go back to our original dealership and see if we can get some relief there? I had hopes of driving this car 200,000+ miles. A kid in college, etc. would be nice to not have a new car payment!!

Any help and guidance you might have we be greatly appreciated. My husband and I don't know that much about cars and have really relied on the dealership to guide us over the years. Just haven't built up much faith in this new dealership. It is only our 2nd visit to them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes, a (hopefully small?) number of early drive-e engines is affected by excessive oil consumption due to bad piston rings. Several owners reported the issue and how volvo handled it on swedspeed, though on much lower mileage. My engine is also in this "potentially problematic" group and I'm monitoring the oil level religiously, so far so good at 55K miles...
At this point I would wait and see what the oil consumption test shows, hopefully they just didn't put enough during last oil change and there's no significant loss. However, if there is, the only solution is to replace piston rings, if you would like to keep the car. At that point I would ask volvo for good will assist - they might help with covering some of the cost.

·
Registered
13,507 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you. I was at the dealership today having my husbands 2013 XC70 serviced and spoke with my advisor some more about my car. She said due to the high mileage there will be no relief from Volvo. She said this is a known issue with this car, as stated here, but that it generally would have shown up earlier.

I'm hoping that maybe, as one of you mentioned, that maybe the car just didn't have enough oil put in it the last oil change. Fingers crossed that there are no further issues. I had hoped to drive this car for several years to come.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts