SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may transition over to an aftermarket android unit at some point, but for now, I generally use my phone in tandem with the Volvo Navigation. Volvo's navigation is good if there's no signal in the area.

I asked this question before, but never got an answer. But that was a 2015.5 vs a 2016 Loaner.....

Fast forward yesterday, I had a 2015.5 Loaner manufactured June 2014, same as my vehicle. Yet, the icons on my vehicle remain generic and the loaner 2015.5 descriptive. (See images).

Any idea how to resolve this issue? Software update? I tried matching the settings in both vehicles nothing changed.

Image #1 - My Car - 2015.5 S60
Image #2 - 2015.5 S60 Rental

Gadget Map Audio equipment Font Electronic instrument

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering part Personal luxury car

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Did you check the version numbers to see if the car software builds were the same or not?

When I first picked up my 2012, I had Sensus 2.0 and once I obtained the Sensus 3.0 build (which was a bit of a nightmare, with two days of Volvo techs working to rebuild the IAM/ICM after a botched upgrade), the graphics and some of the functionalities were very different.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check the version numbers to see if the car software builds were the same or not?

When I first picked up my 2012, I had Sensus 2.0 and once I obtained the Sensus 3.0 build (which was a bit of a nightmare, with two days of Volvo techs working to rebuild the IAM/ICM after a botched upgrade), the graphics and some of the functionalities were very different.
I did look, but I forgot to snap a photo of vehicle build in loaner and compare to mine. I was headed home from what was suppose to be outpatient surgery and turned into a 2 day stay when things went awry. Dealer also forgot to do alignment.

So I have to go back up to hospital for checkup in few weeks, I'll mention Sensus Build and see if they can check it. Hopefully it's something they'd update without cost since I had a 90K service just done. And I'll get the alignment, too. Front toe off a bit. Nothing major but like to do alignment every 10k.

Appreciate the feedback. Hopefully they can figure out the difference. I brought this issue up here a while ago, but as I stated, it was a 15.5 (my car) and a 16 loaner. Now with equal build date and model year, I know something is awry. Either outdated software (per your suggestion) or something else.

Hope to figure out before warranty terms.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I don't know what software requests look like with without warranty. I do know there are certain software updates that are deemed "necessary" and are included with the Service 2.0 packages, and some that are "extra." I am not sure where ICM updates fall.

When I requested the Sensus 3.0, I was also paying for the Polestar Optimization and the Nav USB Update patch, so maybe they were doing it as a "bonus" request. Honestly, I think the Nav USB might have not taken correctly unless the ICM was updated fully regardless, but still. When the upgrade packages broke my ICM and they spent two days rebuilding it, they scratched all the labor as good will, again, because I was already spending $1200 bucks for pieces of code already.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what software requests look like with without warranty. I do know there are certain software updates that are deemed "necessary" and are included with the Service 2.0 packages, and some that are "extra." I am not sure where ICM updates fall.

When I requested the Sensus 3.0, I was also paying for the Polestar Optimization and the Nav USB Update patch, so maybe they were doing it as a "bonus" request. Honestly, I think the Nav USB might have not taken correctly unless the ICM was updated fully regardless, but still. When the upgrade packages broke my ICM and they spent two days rebuilding it, they scratched all the labor as good will, again, because I was already spending $1200 bucks for pieces of code already.
I recall asking this dealer a while ago, but again, I was in a 16 and mine is 15.5. So like here, I think they thought just a different update in model years.

Now that I know this to not be true, would like to get to bottom of issue. Dealer has done right by me mostly, has done piston rebuild, ecm, thermostat, tons of warrany work, 10 to 90k services, and brakes.

So we shall see what happens. I've been extremely loyal to this dealer and hope they'll dig and resolve issue without charge. As I believe updates are included in service visits??

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, updates are not included.
Bah. Were free updates done with service the thing they did away with then a while back?

Anyway, I'll have them investigate and figure out what's going on. I had issues with the Infotainment System earlier in vehicle life (Software Related) that dealer resolved.

I'll drop it off with alignment and let them dig out the root cause. If it's a paid software update, I'll skip it. If it's something they'll resolve, then great.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Doesn’t seem like something that would be covered under cpo since you’re not actually having an issue with the navigation system. Software costs the dealer money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn’t seem like something that would be covered under cpo since you’re not actually having an issue with the navigation system. Software costs the dealer money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll inquire on Dropping off for alignment. You'll probably right, but the Navigation / Infotainment had several software updates to resolve issues earlier on. So wondering if this is an update that is more recent or something that should have been rolled into past fixes.

Worst they can do is come back and say Sensus 3.0 is the resolution. It came back after our warranty work. You can pay to have it updated. I lose nothing by asking anyway.

Assuming that's the issue....

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Service 2.0 was free at one point, but that didn't update the ICM/IHU on P3s anyway. That update can be problematic. Not worth the hassle for some icon changes.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Service 2.0 was free at one point, but that didn't update the ICM/IHU on P3s anyway. That update can be problematic. Not worth the hassle for some icon changes.
@p.rico mentioned a Sensus 3.0 update. Is he correct about a 2.0 --> 3.0 Update. If so, I presume the 3.0 updates the ICM / IHU?

FYI: There appears to be no way to check Sensus Version without Vida??.

Image from my vehicle:

Font Display device Multimedia Electronic device Technology

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Sensus 3.0 is different than Service 2.0.

Service 2.0 is the name of a software package that charges out at $0.01 and updates all modules that need updating in SPA and CMA cars and select modules in P3/P2/P1 cars.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sensus 3.0 is different than Service 2.0.

Service 2.0 is the name of a software package that charges out at $0.01 and updates all modules that need updating in SPA and CMA cars and select modules in P3/P2/P1 cars.
Thanks for clarification. So wondering if Service 2.0 was my dealer's resolution in the past to address various issues I had with the infotainment (freezing, spinning circle of death on internet connectivity, etc).

When did Sensus 3.0 get released? I presume this update has never been free?

I have no way of seeing what Sensus Version my vehicle is running. As apparently, that image only lists map version, and I don't own Vida.

Guess I'll let me dealer come back to me and tell me if Sensus 3.0 is the resolution or if there's another issue at play. I've got 9k left on the warranty. So if there's something else at play, I'd like it resolved.

If the resolution is a Paid Sensus 3.0 Update, I'll live without. Icons not that important.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
To be clear, Sensus 3.0 was for the old Sensus model in the pre-facelift S60/V60 and not applicable/relevant for Sensus Touch (if that is what it was called, can't remember, it included iGo and a couple of other apps, but was really only available for like one year) or Sensus Connect Touch (what you have). We're talking 2012 era here.

Service 2.0 is exactly what Tech said, it is what Volvo calls their service "experience," part of which includes complementary updates to the vehicle (that is, like I referenced above, the specific modules and updates Volvo deems to be necessary to update that are more hardware oriented and not typically user experience oriented).

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
To be clear, Sensus 3.0 was for the old Sensus model in the pre-facelift S60/V60 and not applicable/relevant for Sensus Touch (if that is what it was called, can't remember, it included iGo and a couple of other apps, but was really only available for like one year) or Sensus Connect Touch (what you have). We're talking 2012 era here.

Service 2.0 is exactly what Tech said, it is what Volvo calls their service "experience," part of which includes complementary updates to the vehicle (that is, like I referenced above, the specific modules and updates Volvo deems to be necessary to update that are more hardware oriented and not typically user experience oriented).

I have a P3 2015.5 S60. No touchscreen on this model.

You mentioned Sensus 2.0 -> 3.0. Did you meant service 2.0? Its why I also stated sensus 2.0 as I figured you meant it was an older build prior to 3.0.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I have a P3 2015.5 S60. No touchscreen on this model.

You mentioned Sensus 2.0 -> 3.0. Did you meant service 2.0? Its why I also stated sensus 2.0 as I figured you meant it was an older build prior to 3.0.
No. I mean Sensus 3.0. Again, it is version 3 of the older Sensus system of Volvo (see here: Sensus 3.0 (with photos)).

It does not apply to your car as you don't have the original Sensus system; I was using it as an example of how the software version in your vehicle might be different than a equivalent model based on which software version your Sensus build is.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I thought I answered you in your last post about this. If I didn't my fault. The reasons the icons are gone is actually the OPPOSITE of what you are thinking. The map updates caused the icons to go away, not the other way around. When I got my car, it still had the original map version it shipped with and it had the icons for some gas stations and banks and stuff. After I updated my maps version, I now only have generic icons. Get used to it. I would bet you that the logo icons are not coming back for our car.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought I answered you in your last post about this. If I didn't my fault. The reasons the icons are gone is actually the OPPOSITE of what you are thinking. The map updates caused the icons to go away, not the other way around. When I got my car, it still had the original map version it shipped with and it had the icons for some gas stations and banks and stuff. After I updated my maps version, I now only have generic icons. Get used to it. I would bet you that the logo icons are not coming back for our car.
You had not elaborated in the prior thread. Because my vehicle was manufactured June 2014, put into service June 2015, and bought by me in May 2016, it had almost 2 years of age prior to my ownership. Although it had 2200 miles, I suspect the map had been updated at some point. At no time during my ownership, have I been graced with Location Specific Icons. Always generic ones.

Very strange that a map update would have wiped away the Location Specific Icon Database. Seems counterproductive.

I'm waiting on folks to give an Android Auto review of the Kremer Sino Android Auto unit. Everyone's tested out the CarPlay feature but not Android Auto. Might be worth upgrading to this and bypass Volvo's Navigation.

Volvo's Navigation offline map is useful in areas where signal is unobtainable. Where Google Maps / Waze won't work. Think Out West.

I'm curious how the Kremer Sino plays with Volvo's Backup camera.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No. I mean Sensus 3.0. Again, it is version 3 of the older Sensus system of Volvo (see here: Sensus 3.0 (with photos)).

It does not apply to your car as you don't have the original Sensus system; I was using it as an example of how the software version in your vehicle might be different than a equivalent model based on which software version your Sensus build is.
Understood. Thanks for clarifying. You were merely suggestion it being a software issue. @meade18 seems to think that Volvo actually wiped their icon database with map updates. Strange, but seeing how he only receives generic icons, makes sense.

Since I have to bring my car in for an alignment, I'll inquire, but I bet @meade18 is right. We're just out of luck.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
In terms of Volvo going "backwards" on updates - my old C30 had an issue when streaming audio over BT. When playing songs, the track time would freeze. I took it in and Volvo couldn't fix it right away, but ultimately created a fix - they deleted the track time from the head unit display altogether! Some fix, right?!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts