SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post. I am a new member to SwedeSpeed, but not to Volvo cars. I found out about the site through my dealer in Mission Viejo, California. Before my current car, I have owned a 240 sedan, an 850R wagon, a V70R and now a 2015.5 Crystal Pearl V60 R Design. It is, simply put, a great car; fun to drive, responsive, fast, great handling, good brakes, wonderful looking; did I mention fast? So far, I have ~1400 miles and expect the car will continue to loosen up.

When I first bought the car I was disappointed with one element almost immediately and decided to fix it first. Unlike the V70R, which came with well painted and finished Brembo brakes, the brakes and calipers on the V60RD just looked unfinished. While I was waiting to get some body parts delivered to install (front winglets, side skirts, rear deck protector, rear mudflaps, and to have my rear view mirror covers repainted), I decided to do the rotors and calipers.

I always liked the titanium color chosen for the V70R calipers and the very simple “R” in white. On the V60RD I decided on a color that was also simple and which went well with the understated theme of the car. Red, electric green, banana yellow, fluorescent orange were all quickly rejected. I did think about gloss black, but eventually settled in on silver. For a logo, I went with the same branding as for the rest of the car, the “R Design” logo with the blue “R” which is found on the grill, steering wheel, kick panels for the door frame.

Here are some images of the new car, and the new car alongside my old V70R (which was picked up yesterday by its new owner) and some progress photos of the work in process. The results are just what I wanted. Nothing at all in-your-face. The change is subtle and in my opinion, is way more polished and finished from the starting point.

I will post more images when I get the rest of the exterior finished sometime next week. I did consider the Polestar rear spoiler, but decided (for me) it was just too big and the standard spoiler was just right for the overall balance of the car

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Love the attention to detail on the brake calipers! Top notch!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks fantastic! Do you mind sharing your process for the calipers? I have been thinking about doing something similar.

Great work!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Very nice!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new RD. I like what you did with the calipers. Where did you get the stickers from?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Digging those calipers so much!
Nice looking RD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
love it. I'm 1500 miles in on a silver v60 rd as well and your synopsis of the car and what it needs could be mine completely. the brake calipers were my biggest complaint as well. I was going to go black but I like what you did and might think about silver/gunmetal colors now. I still want to do the chrome in black vinyl so maybe still black but now i'll have to think...lol.

id appreciate some more insight on the job.... I assume you left them on to paint? spray or brush? any type of clear coat over the stickers? whats your optimism on the stickers holding up and which ones did you get?

ive been looking at r design stickers like the ones you used but was hoping for maybe an idea about source. most of the places on line look sketchy to me.

anyway... great job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
love it. I'm 1500 miles in on a silver v60 rd as well and your synopsis of the car and what it needs could be mine completely. the brake calipers were my biggest complaint as well. I was going to go black but I like what you did and might think about silver/gunmetal colors now. I still want to do the chrome in black vinyl so maybe still black but now i'll have to think...lol.

id appreciate some more insight on the job.... I assume you left them on to paint? spray or brush? any type of clear coat over the stickers? whats your optimism on the stickers holding up and which ones did you get?

ive been looking at r design stickers like the ones you used but was hoping for maybe an idea about source. most of the places on line look sketchy to me.

anyway... great job.
Hi all:

Thanks for the good feedback.

I had the job done for me by a guy who was recommended to me by some of my car buddies. He does this and vinyl wraps for a living and came to my house and did the whole thing in my garage in an afternoon. It took a little over four hours from start to finish.

Once we decided on color, I took a photo of the door jamb “R Design” logo so he’d know what I wanted for decals, and photos of the front and rear calipers and the measurements for the flat spots on the front caliper. He sized the decals to fit comfortably in that spot, then got the decals made by his vendor (he told me he does decals on a very high percentage of his jobs).
The day before he came over, I had the car washed at a hand wash place near my house and asked the owner to pay particular attention to the wheels and calipers. My car only had about a thousand miles on it so things were not too gunked up yet, but they did have some rust, especially on the edges of the rotors and in the center of the rotors.

He brought all his own equipment; jackstands, floor jack; air compressor, tape paper, paint and a big ass heat gun to dry the paint. He did the calipers first, then the center of the rotors and the edges at the end. Same process for both.

1. Carefully taped everything up and carefully covered the garage floor and other areas for overspray
2. Sprayed everything with an etching primer, then heat dried the primer.
3. Sprayed the calipers with several light coats of silver and heat dried each coat
4. Took a break to let things dry
5. Applied the decals when the silver was no longer tacky
6. Sprayed everything with several light coats of clear high temp epoxy paint and used the heat gun to dry this
7. Removed all masking then started over to do the rotor centers and edges; same process as above.
8. We agreed on $300 for the job, but once he took off all the wheels and rims and I saw the extent of the rust, I told him I wanted the rotor edges and the centers of the rotors done as well, so we agreed to $350.00 for the whole deal
9. He wanted me to not drive the car for 24 hours after we were done. I have another car so it was not a problem

He was very thorough and professional and knew exactly what he was doing. Hope this helps answering your questions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome, and its great to see the some of the ideas. Seems more than a few have thought about upping the brakes. Other wise a great car aside from some personal touches.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nice job and welcome. I used to live out in Mission Viejo years and years ago. And great choice on the car and color! I agree with everyone that the stock brakes leave a bit to be desired in the looks department. But this is a nice upgrade that isn't too flashy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some further updates

First off, Happy New year to everyone.

Since I had the brakes and calipers done, I have had several new additions to the exterior of the car.

1. I ordered in primer from my local Volvo dealer, and then had painted and installed, the front winglets.

2. At the same time I purchased the side skirts, also in primer, and had them painted and installed. I think these make a really nice visual addition. I first saw them on a new Cross Country at the dealership which was the same color as my car and was convinced it would look great on my car as well.

3. I also had installed the rear mudflaps. One drive in rainy weather, and I thought they would be a neat and useful addition.

4. I had installed the rear bumper guard. I have two dogs and could see that their claws were going to do some damage to the paint jumping in and out , so this will help.

5. Finally, I had the rear view mirrors popped off and repainted the same color as the car. I just didn't get why they were painted silver. Just didn't work for me.

Hope you like the new additions.

Dennis

·
Registered
249 Posts
I really like the front Polestar chin winglets you installed. Looks really good. How much did they charge you? I've been debating adding that as well as the rear Polestar wing to my car, but they aren't cheap. It may just go toward my new wheels fund instead :cool:

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Good stuff. I love everything that you have done to the car except for the front side skirts. Additionally, I think the car would look even better if (for your next modification) you painted black all the chrome trim. Actually, I would have painted the side mirrors black as well plus the spokes of your wheels (the way the 19" IXIONs are).

I am curious; where did the bring your car from? They had to dealer trade for it since all the V60 R-designs I have built for my market are Platinum and have 19" wheels.

Your car looks great!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good stuff. I love everything that you have done to the car except for the front side skirts. Additionally, I think the car would look even better if (for your next modification) you painted black all the chrome trim. Actually, I would have painted the side mirrors black as well plus the spokes of your wheels (the way the 19" IXIONs are).

I am curious; where did the bring your car from? They had to dealer trade for it since all the V60 R-designs I have built for my market are Platinum and have 19" wheels.

Your car looks great!
I bought it at Power Volvo in Irvine, CA. Been having the work done at Mission Viejo Volvo. I'm confused by your comments about the wheels. They are 19 inch Ixion wheels.

My thinking on the trim (I did think about doing it in black after seeing Chris Stewart's work on his own Rebel Blue RD); I wanted my car to be light and have an integrated theme or look. I thought the black trim did not fit with that idea or theme in the same way that the silver rear view mirror covers did not fit. Also, the trim on the wheels matched the front and rear bumper inserts (dark grey color) so I left them alone. I did think about having the black inserts in the side skirts painted in grey to match the remaining trim, and may still do so.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
The gray paint makes me think those are 18" Ixion's and not the 19" Ixion II's.
Exactly my thoughts. However, they do look big enough to be 19" and if its owner insists they are 19" then they are 19" IXIONs. The only thing I can think of is that because this car has all-season tires, perhaps the 19" wheels w/ A/S tires have the same paint as the 18" (which come w/ all-season tires standard)...99% of the R-designs in SoCal that have 19" wheels have summer tires and the wheels are painted black. I have never seen 19" IXIONs that are grey.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Great looking car. Makes me strongly consider a white V60 which is a drastic departure from my usual color palette.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts