SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody!

So I'm relatively new to the forum but we're working on getting our first volvo (well, first since the 1986 I owned 15 years ago...). We are looking at a 2015.5 T6 Platinum that was a Dealer loaner car for the service department. Its got around 7500 miles on it and they're advertising almost $10K off of the price from MSRP. I've never considered a dealer demo/loan car before so I wanted to see if anybody had any feedback on it. Its about 11 months into the first year of warranty so it has 3 years remaining. Does this seem like a fair discount for the car? Should we be able to push for more or are loan cars horrible and we should run (not walk) away?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Hey Everybody!

So I'm relatively new to the forum but we're working on getting our first volvo (well, first since the 1986 I owned 15 years ago...). We are looking at a 2015.5 T6 Platinum that was a Dealer loaner car for the service department. Its got around 7500 miles on it and they're advertising almost $10K off of the price from MSRP. I've never considered a dealer demo/loan car before so I wanted to see if anybody had any feedback on it. Its about 11 months into the first year of warranty so it has 3 years remaining. Does this seem like a fair discount for the car? Should we be able to push for more or are loan cars horrible and we should run (not walk) away?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
I would look at their option for a Certified Pre Owned (CPO) car since it pushes the warranty to 100k miles.

I'm sure it's a lovely vehicle. A platinum trim would always be lovely.

But you might have more worth if you could look at a similarly equipped XC60 with about 25k miles on it and have it with a longer warranty.

I've had mine since April and already put 13k miles on it though...with another longish trip coming this weekend so a longer warranty made more sense to me.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I've purchased a few lease return cars, including my 2012 S60. I think it's great, you save a few bucks and most times the car is in very good condition. The one thing I would push for is have them certify (CPO) the car, so you get the 7yr 100K mile warranty at no cost to you. If you have a mechanic or auto body friend of your, have them take a look at it.

Good Luck. post pics if you purchase it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've purchased a few lease return cars, including my 2012 S60. I think it's great, you save a few bucks and most times the car is in very good condition. The one thing I would push for is have them certify (CPO) the car, so you get the 7yr 100K mile warranty at no cost to you. If you have a mechanic or auto body friend of your, have them take a look at it.

Good Luck. post pics if you purchase it.
Thanks for the feedback guys! This is a great community!

So they're willing to CPO it but I'd have to contract it first and basically agree to pay for the CPO cost (just under $2K). The car is 11 months into the warranty, 7500 miles, and after pushing I got them down to $8,626 below MSRP (without CPO - I guess I was wrong about advertising $10K below, I the sticker was higher). They are claiming they are already at a loss on the vehicle (obviously) and don't seem to be willing to move any lower than that. Going through KBB I worked up an estimate on a used car with these features and that many miles and the used estimate puts it more around $38,700 from a dealer but I'm not sure how that translates to a "new" (untitled) dealer demo. Obviously, like everybody, we want the best price but I also always try to be fair and reasonable in my expectations - after all, they have a business to run. Anybody have any advice about where we're at in price? Are we getting a steal or should I be sticking to more?

Thanks again, I truly appreciate the insight!

·
Administrator
55,929 Posts
They are never "at a loss" but its a great sales line. :)

Volvo's typically take about a $10k hit in the first year. Price seems about right and have them include CPO. You can always walk away. Make sure all the services, TSBs, etc have been performed and have them include the latest navigation map updates, I believe there was at least one within the past year.

The could always throw in a Polestar tune for good measure (if its a six-cylinder T6). :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
My thought on a Volvo dealer loaner ("rental") is a Volvo owner is not going to be as hard on it as a typical rental, so not a big risk. At that price, however, they should throw in CPO. You can get easily half that much off a brand new car, so they aren't "losing" money. And finally, check the oil level and ask for a full printout of service records, including comments. Make sure it doesn't lose oil.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Agreed. They never lose. Volvo has a demo / loaner program and reimburses the dealers a certain amount for cars that are used as loaners for at least 5k miles or something like that - I can't remember the exact milage. I know because my local dealer lists their demo loaner cars but will not sell them as such until they reach like 5k miles - so they can get the reimbursement from Volvo NA. Then they can sell the car at a lower price point and not lose money. A friend of mine got a demo loaner 2015.5 xc60 t5 for about 9k off msrp without cpo.

·
Registered
659 Posts
My thought on a Volvo dealer loaner ("rental") is a Volvo owner is not going to be as hard on it as a typical rental, so not a big risk.
This could be true, but it could not. As long as OP understands that some folks, when behind the wheel of a rental/loaner, especially with any level of performance engine, will push the car, hard, mechanically, for the very short time they have it. I am one of those folks, as I like to stop and smell the roses. That said, as many others have indicated, do the CPO if possible for you, as gives you a healthy extra period of protection, for minimal $ when factored into financing, and get them to throw in whatever you can as Chris suggested; load bars, cargo mat, storage nets, etc. ..a polestar upgrade would be the tits...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just wanted to thank you all for the feedback. They are holding pretty firm on their price, they came down a little more but they haven't come down to where I think it should be. I'm looking at another demo model at another dealer now that is comparably equipped except its a T5 instead of a T6. I'm not sure how badly I want the T6 but I do like the color of this other one better. I'll keep at it - I'm definitely trying to buy one its just a matter of right features at the right price. Thank you so much everybody for the input though - this really helped me in this process!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure where u are located. Rodger Beasley in Austin is where my buddy got his deal.
I'm actually in the DFW area - I'd be willing to travel to Austin for the right deal. Right now I'm working with what I have so we'll see where I end up. Thanks though!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
If they put a Polestar tune on it and CPO it, I'd jump on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought the polestar tune was only available on the I6? This is a T6 Drive-E - do they do the polestar tune on it? They also have already said a CPO would come out of my pocket, not theirs so I suspect a polestar tune would be the same.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
As far as I know there is/was a Polestar optimization for the drive -e also, then again I mistakenly assumed you were looking at a 3.0l T6. Volvo's numbering is confusing, I know they base it on output in the new numbering scheme, but when someone says T6 I still think 3.0l inline 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I thought the polestar tune was only available on the I6? This is a T6 Drive-E - do they do the polestar tune on it? They also have already said a CPO would come out of my pocket, not theirs so I suspect a polestar tune would be the same.
Oh. That means they're both not AWD, right? You really need to give the 4 banger another couple of years. Wish I had on the 3.2L. I think I'm a little more worried about a loaner 4 banger. And _do not_ get a used 4 banger without CPO. Period.

In my opinion, the order of best to worst is as follows:

T5 AWD
T6 AWD
T5 e-Drive
T6 e-Drive
3.2L AWD
3.2L

Most would argue the top two reversed, but I imagine the rest are pretty solid

·
Registered
654 Posts
Polestar tuning is available for Drive-E right now.

http://www.polestar.com/us/products/drive-e-optimised/
Maybe it's coming? When I look under the model listings I only see T5 and T6.

I think given the over boosting they are doing on the small engine, I would expect all P* would do is provide a sport mode of sorts - mostly shift response. I doubt peak output will change much.

It's really odd that all of a sudden so many companies are getting so much more out of boosted vehicles without a well publicized source outlining the tech that made it possible. In the '80s, manufacturing improvements and engine controls advances made turbos much more viable. Does it make sense that 2/3 the engine displacement gets you the same power for the same price? I guess maybe not having AWD may hide some of the price increase, but still. And Volvo can't even keep oil in naturally aspirated engines. How are they going to do it in high pressure engines?

I suspect gamesmanship and risk taking regarding reliability, which means the aggressive drivers are going to have issues. Especially given the VW debacle. Automakers are struggling to keep up on the marketing front.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Maybe it's coming? When I look under the model listings I only see T5 and T6.

I think given the over boosting they are doing on the small engine, I would expect all P* would do is provide a sport mode of sorts - mostly shift response. I doubt peak output will change much.
haha, I emailed Polestar a while ago, here's the entirety of our correspondence :

Hi, I see via

http://www.polestar.com/us/products/drive-e-optimised/

that you've optimized for Drive-E. Does this include the T5 engine?
Hi,

Yes. Please send me your VIN number. I also need to know where you live.

Best Regards

Polestar
I never followed up or bothered to look, at least I don't remember looking. I've assumed up to this point by their reply that it was available.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts