SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'06 S60 T5 AWD, '10 S40 RD T5 AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a 2015.5 T6 AWD (XC60). I've test driven 2 in the past month and I've noticed that both felt loose in the steering wheel while taking a turn at ~60mph (highway transition turn). Neither vehicle held tight during the turn. The steering wheel had a wave motion, as if it had traction, lost it, and regained it repeatedly. So, if I tried to keep the wheel in 1 position, it wouldn't stay...it would loosely float. The first vehicle had 39k and the last one had 55k miles.

I have an '06 S60 T5 AWD and a '10 S40 T5 RD AWD, neither of which exhibit this behavior.

Any ideas?

TIA,
BJ

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a 2015.5 T6 AWD (XC60). I've test driven 2 in the past month and I've noticed that both felt loose in the steering wheel while taking a turn at ~60mph (highway transition turn). Neither vehicle held tight during the turn. The steering wheel had a wave motion, as if it had traction, lost it, and regained it repeatedly. So, if I tried to keep the wheel in 1 position, it wouldn't stay...it would loosely float. The first vehicle had 39k and the last one had 55k miles.

I have an '06 S60 T5 AWD and a '10 S40 T5 RD AWD, neither of which exhibit this behavior.

Any ideas?

TIA,
BJ
LCA bushes.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Particularly the lower rear. But if thats shot, might as well replace em all.

·
Registered
13,235 Posts
Hard to tell what you are describing but I would be thinking the wheels are out of balance, the cars were out of alignment, or it may just be that you were losing traction.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
He means...while on the highway at speed and steering into a long sweeping turn, the car “wonders/deviates” from the direction he is steering. LCAs.

·
Registered
'06 S60 T5 AWD, '10 S40 RD T5 AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hard to tell what you are describing but I would be thinking the wheels are out of balance, the cars were out of alignment, or it may just be that you were losing traction.
I notice you have a 2015.5 t6 XC60...I'm curious what you think about it mechanically and electronically, both in terms of reliability.

To clarify my description a bit, the vehicle seems to stay on track just fine, but the steering wheel wanders a lot. Too much play. So, if I wanted to hold a turn at higher speed with the steering wheel at the 2 o'clock position, it would float/wander between the 1 o'clock position and the 3 o'clock position. It's a wavy motion, though, not a dramatic or violent shudder or clunk. It certainly does not inspire confidence in a turn.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I notice you have a 2015.5 t6 XC60...I'm curious what you think about it mechanically and electronically, both in terms of reliability.

To clarify my description a bit, the vehicle seems to stay on track just fine, but the steering wheel wanders a lot. Too much play. So, if I wanted to hold a turn at higher speed with the steering wheel at the 2 o'clock position, it would float/wander between the 1 o'clock position and the 3 o'clock position. It's a wavy motion, though, not a dramatic or violent shudder or clunk. It certainly does not inspire confidence in a turn.

Tie rods

Reactions: beejam

·
Registered
13,235 Posts
We had some initial quality issues, about a half dozen things, but after the first two years it's been rock solid. It's a long term keeper for us.

·
Registered
13,235 Posts
Yeah, that's what I would say but it's a little odd he'd experience the same sensation on test drives with two separate cars that are at pretty low miles for bushing issues - 39k and 56k.

·
Registered
672 Posts

I had this issue a year ago, with the somewhat the same symptoms that you are describing. The steering felt sloppy and not on point. Just by chance I ended up having to replace the rear sway bar links, and surprisingly enough, when I got the car back the steering was all tight again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts