SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I bought a new 2015.5 S60 T6 Platinum Drive-E in June of this year and have been lurking here since. ;) The funny thing is Volvo was never on my radar, but one feature I really wanted in a vehicle this time around was radar cruise control and my co-worker happened to see a Volvo commercial mentioning it. I'm coming from Honda/Toyota/Ford ownership, so this is my first Euro vehicle.

So far so good, other than having to take it in due to occasionally having Sensus lock up to where I have no audio and the buttons don't work. A trip to the dealer who applied 3 software updates (two sensus, one ecu) and I've only had it happen once more in 3 months, which is better than every other day. That and the radar cruise control does this weird lurch when the car comes to a complete stop. Not sure it that's normal, but the dealership is so far away, I'll just wait until my 10k service to bring it up.

When I bought it, it had 100 miles on the clock with a build date of October 2014. The oil minder warned me to replace the oil in October, but the dealership told me to just wait one year since I started to drive it, or 10k miles. I haven't seen any definitive thread whether or not it's a good idea to replace, but I figure that oil had 100 miles worth of test drives over the course of 6 months. I went ahead and did the first oil change myself at one year/4,200 miles and did a UOA just to see if it was worth it or not. I've never done one before, so I don't know what the results mean yet, but I thought I would share in case anyone is interested. I ended up buying Castrol Edge Pro 5w-30 A5 off of ebay, since the 5w-20 doesn't exist in the states and that's what the underhood sticker calls for anyways.

Oh one other interesting thing is, I made sure to measure exactly how much oil came out, since I've got the whole no dipstick thing. I got 5.8 liters out, which is I think 0.4 overfill, but I've never added any oil and the dealership didn't mention anything to me when I went in for the radio. I put in 5.4 back in since that's what it calls for and am just going to hope that is the actual correct amount.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I couldn't see your results (even tried at home to ensure it wasn't a question of filtering). Who did you send it to? Mine provided all kinds of quantitative and qualitative analysis.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I used Blackstone, and they explain all of the results. Its good you changed it early. The recommendation is 1year or 10k miles. The 1 year starts when the oil is put in the car, since its no longer in a sealed container.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I also use Blackstone Labs at every oil change. I picked my 2015.5 V60RD in May and changed the oil at 7 miles before it left the dealership. Changed again at 2,000 miles, 5,000 miles and then last week at 10,000 miles. For me, this shows the condition of the engine during the break-in and from this point on I will change at 5,000 mile intervals. I started using lab oil analysis on my aircraft engines and it is an excellent way to determine the condition of the engines. Not knowing where the Op lives but here in Minnesota I change oil at the beginning of each season (summer/winter)

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I also use Blackstone Labs at every oil change. I picked my 2015.5 V60RD in May and changed the oil at 7 miles before it left the dealership. Changed again at 2,000 miles, 5,000 miles and then last week at 10,000 miles. For me, this shows the condition of the engine during the break-in and from this point on I will change at 5,000 mile intervals. I started using lab oil analysis on my aircraft engines and it is an excellent way to determine the condition of the engines. Not knowing where the Op lives but here in Minnesota I change oil at the beginning of each season (summer/winter)
If you don't mind sharing, what were the oil test results from your 7, 2K, 5K and 10K oil changes?

Did it justify changing the oil that frequently, or would only changing at 10K been been sufficient?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I also used Blackstone. In the beginning, I didn't trust the 7500 mile change interval. So I changed at 2500, 5000, and 7500 intervals with testing along the way which showed that the 7500 was safe (especially with upgrade to full synthetic). I was covered under S&S so I had some odd intervals (since I changed it at 5000, the next official S&S change at 7500 was really only 2500, but that's OK).

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I also used Blackstone. In the beginning, I didn't trust the 7500 mile change interval. So I changed at 2500, 5000, and 7500 intervals with testing along the way which showed that the 7500 was safe (especially with upgrade to full synthetic). I was covered under S&S so I had some odd intervals (since I changed it at 5000, the next official S&S change at 7500 was really only 2500, but that's OK).
I too wasnt comfortable with our interval (10k), but the oil analysis put me at ease. I probably could extend it even further based on the results, but I wont.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...sis-Results&highlight=Blackstone+oil+analysis

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I remember that thread. I think SS has sent a lot of business towards Blackstone. I'm sticking with 7500 myself. Going beyond the manufacturer recommended interval could lead to trouble even if the oil is OK: "Sorry, this was caused by you ignoring the oil change interval."

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I remember that thread. I think SS has sent a lot of business towards Blackstone. I'm sticking with 7500 myself. Going beyond the manufacturer recommended interval could lead to trouble even if the oil is OK: "Sorry, this was caused by you ignoring the oil change interval."
Agreed. I never want to say I saved a $100 on an oil change over 30,000 miles and risk doing damage to the engine.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm staying with the manufacturer's recommended 10k. The service interval indicator on our old BMW E28 M5 had me changing oil, Mobil 1 in my case, at around 12.5 and it was going strong at 175k when we sold it. Went inside the top end at 150k to change the timing chain and things looked nearly brand new.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oh one other interesting thing is, I made sure to measure exactly how much oil came out, since I've got the whole no dipstick thing. I got 5.8 liters out, which is I think 0.4 overfill, but I've never added any oil and the dealership didn't mention anything to me when I went in for the radio. I put in 5.4 back in since that's what it calls for and am just going to hope that is the actual correct amount.

I would stop by a dealer and ask them to check oil level with VIDA. You know, just to be really sure ;).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts