SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else out there with a S60 and lane keeping aid (LKA) option? I watch videos of other cars with LKA, such as the XC90, Tesla, etc., stay within the lines and drivers let the car take over with LKA and adaptive cruise. Sure, those cars are more advanced than the S60, but my car must be vision impaired because in the rare chance that it actually does try to correct lane drift, it just sends the car into and over the opposite line. After two months with the car and heavy use of adaptive cruise, I have never experienced a value add with LKA. Are my expectations too high? Thoughts?

·
Registered
159 Posts
LKA does work provided that lane markers are visible (painted lane markers, weather conditions permit and sensors clear) - clear lane markers are something less common consistently in North America than in Europe. The car has driven itself on well marked highways for several minutes (just a test I did once) until the steering wheel vibrated and a message told me to grab hold of the wheel.

My car is same vintage as yours.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have this feature in my Genny. I turned it off about a month after purchase. It is a tad too aggressive for me, meaning it is too sensitive to the lines and pulls me over sooner than later. It also had a tendency to drive me into the dedicated left turn lanes when I don't want to turn (as it follows the lines to the left). The haptic steering wheel feature works just fine for me.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Your car isn't expected to keep itself in its lane the way you're describing.

The XC90 has a feature called Pilot Assist which adds steering assistance to Adaptive Cruise Control at speeds up to 30 mph. Tesla has a feature called Auto Pilot which does the same thing at higher speeds and is currently in Public Beta Testing. Your vehicle has neither. LKA is designed based on your hands being tightly on the wheel in control of steering at all times. If you are distracted for a second and begin to steer out of your lane without signaling, LKA will steer back towards your lane faster than you can react to the alert, but you need to take over steering immediately when the wheel vibrates and it's up to you to keep the vehicle in your lane.

LKA is not an autonomous driving function like Pilot Assist or Tesla's Auto Pilot. You shouldn't expect it to act like one. If you can't keep it on course after the correction (whether because it's overly aggressive or you just find it hard to manage or because you're taking your hands off the wheel like some sort of daredevil), I'd suggest going to My Car > Settings > Lane Keeping Aid settings > Assistance Mode and changing it to Vibration Only.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
It's unfortunate that manufacturer's aren't making the limitations of the technology more apparent to consumers. In addition to describing what tech does, they should start saying what it doesn't do and making sure people can't ignore those warnings or misinterpret the literature to mean the car can do something it can't. A lot of Tesla owners are recording videos of themselves almost getting into accidents because they are misusing Auto Pilot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's unfortunate that manufacturer's aren't making the limitations of the technology more apparent to consumers. In addition to describing what tech does, they should start saying what it doesn't do and making sure people can't ignore those warnings or misinterpret the literature to mean the car can do something it can't. A lot of Tesla owners are recording videos of themselves almost getting into accidents because they are misusing Auto Pilot.
I was told by a salesperson that this is on purpose -- Volvo doesn't want to commit to any specifics to avoid legal issues. Of course, I took this with a grain of salt since it was coming from sales :)

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I would suspect it's on purpose so that people spend more money thinking the car can do things it actually can't, but who knows. :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The 'auto-pilot' steering features require electrically-assisted steering, which none of the 5 & 6 cylinder '60s have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
The 'auto-pilot' steering features require electrically-assisted steering, which none of the 5 & 6 cylinder '60s have.

I was wondering about the topic too. All my 2015.5 XC60 does is beep at me when I drift over the lane marker. Never expected it to do any thing else.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I also turned off this feature on my 2015.5 S60 T6 Platinum. It got on my nerves more than it ever actually helped.

Thankfully it can be deactived permanently and isn't like the Auto Start/Stop which resets to ON each time you start the car. I hit the button to disable it before I shift into gear.

Both technologies are attempts to do something useful, but the implementation just isn't there yet, IMO.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
2015.5 S60 Lane Keeping "Aid"

Yes, in the S60 T-6 we rented earlier this year the lane departure manifested as a haptic 'rumble strips' effect in the steering wheel. We already have rumble strips on all our Ontario expressways so... Now, if it figured out you were dozing off an gave you a jolt instead .
Picking up our '16 V60 R-Design this week and really looking forward to figuring out the upgrades vs. our '07 V70R.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I was wondering about the topic too. All my 2015.5 XC60 does is beep at me when I drift over the lane marker. Never expected it to do any thing else.
Non-DriveE cars have the Lane Departure Warning, which only provides an audible warning. Drive-E cars have the Lane Keeping Aid which adds a haptic-style feedback plus correction of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I drove a rented Tesla for 800km highway for the past 2 days. Had a round trip out of town, and the 2015.5 V60 needed the winter tune-up.
I have to say this Auto Pilot function is VERY impressive. That plus adaptative cruise control make for a very safe and relaxing drive. In heavy stop and go traffic, the car simply does take over everything! On highways, you are reminded to keep your hands on the steering wheel, but then again, the car controls just about all the driving. Not for a very spirited drive, but surely helps put up with road traffic and long distance drives...
And the entertainment system integration with the car, the GoogleMap, the podcast availability, and that screen! Ouf...
Apparently you get part of that tech on the new XC90. To me, it was a glimpse into the future...

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
It sounds like Volvo's LKA is way behind that of MB and Acura.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The Acura system is pretty much exactly like Volvo's. The Merc's are way better than both. I let Jesus take the wheel a few times today. It will keep the car on the road and from crossing the yellow and white lines. It can't see around turns too well, and the more defined the lines are, the better job it does.

Also, the adaptive cruise is 100% useless if you drive through wet snow. That radar sensor gets coated in snow, and you're dead in the water. I would assume when it gets colder out or the snow isn't as wet and heavy as it was today, this might not be an issue?

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
It's not recommended to use any sort of cruise control in that kind of weather, so I'm not sure how many people have tried it extensively enough to be able to answer that question.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts