SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At only 100 miles, I am still learning may way through the various menus and switches.

Do I understand correctly:

Moving the transmission to the left switches to a "sport" mode?
Where you can push the gear shift up or down in a semi automatic mode?
Or use the paddles if you prefer?

But otherwise, the power and torque delivery are the same?

The dealer showed me another setting ESC (?) but I couldn't find it this morning and on previous review, was not sure how to set this?

Check or uncheck that box? What does it do?

My preference would be max power and responsiveness all the time regardless of mileage.

Registered
I'm not familiar with exactly how paddles work but I believe they're essentially a more convenient way of shifting manually. Sport mode makes the throttle pedal more edgy and makes the car upshift later in order to always be ready to deliver power. I think it also makes the shifts a bit harsher in favor of shifting speed, at least when you step on the throttle. If you put it into sports mode and then shift manually using the gear lever you're basically taking out of sport mode and into a manual version of Drive with normal throttle mapping.

I believe if you use the paddles in drive it'll only be manual for as long as you're kind of using the paddles and go back into D after a while. Manual on the gear lever is just manual. It'll down/upshift if you go too high or too low but not upshift in the latter (unless you hit the rev limiter, haven't tried revving it that high).

As for ESC, it's called DSTC on volvos which is both anti spin and anti skid in one. Since 2005 or so it can't be disabled completely. It can be put it a sport mode which essentially turns off anti spin and allows for /some/ skidding. If it as much as thinks you're the least bit hesitant or thinks you're trying to stop the skid it'll cut back in. I think the polestar cars can turn it off completely, but no others unfortunately. The setting is located somewhere under the My Car button.

Edit I can't say for sure on the haldex 5 models but I have haldex gen III and if I "disable" DSTC it does deliver the power a bit more abruptly whereas more hesitant otherwise and sort of eases into it to avoid wheel spin. Not sure if it's a software or hardware thing though...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Schmoyoho,

Yes, thank you, it is the ESC function within the My Car menu that is confusing.

It seems most of the boxes, when checked, activate the safety oriented function?

Yet when ESC is checked, it DEactivates the traction control?

Still not sure but trying it today seemed to leave an orange icon on the dash, showing squiggly lines behind the tires, which I assume means NO traction control.

Generally I dont mind traction control and rarely activate it on my V70 R wagon or BMW motorcycle...

Just want to otherwise make sure that the XC 60 is in max performance mode at all times.

Please let me know if this means I need to check or UNcheck the ESC function?

Thank you,

I'm not familiar with exactly how paddles work but I believe they're essentially a more convenient way of shifting manually. Sport mode makes the throttle pedal more edgy and makes the car upshift later in order to always be ready to deliver power. I think it also makes the shifts a bit harsher in favor of shifting speed, at least when you step on the throttle. If you put it into sports mode and then shift manually using the gear lever you're basically taking out of sport mode and into a manual version of Drive with normal throttle mapping.

I believe if you use the paddles in drive it'll only be manual for as long as you're kind of using the paddles and go back into D after a while. Manual on the gear lever is just manual. It'll down/upshift if you go too high or too low but not upshift in the latter (unless you hit the rev limiter, haven't tried revving it that high).

As for ESC, it's called DSTC on volvos which is both anti spin and anti skid in one. Since 2005 or so it can't be disabled completely. It can be put it a sport mode which essentially turns off anti spin and allows for /some/ skidding. If it as much as thinks you're the least bit hesitant or thinks you're trying to stop the skid it'll cut back in. I think the polestar cars can turn it off completely, but no others unfortunately. The setting is located somewhere under the My Car button.

Edit I can't say for sure on the haldex 5 models but I have haldex gen III and if I "disable" DSTC it does deliver the power a bit more abruptly whereas more hesitant otherwise and sort of eases into it to avoid wheel spin. Not sure if it's a software or hardware thing though...

Registered
I think ESC=Electronic Stability Control and that's called DSTC on Volvos, Dynamic Stability and Traction Control. It can't be turned off completely, but if unchecked in the menu it'll use a sport mode of DSTC that allows /some/ skidding and will disable anti-spin. On Swedish cars equipped with the electronic speedo an icon saying DSTC Sport will appear. On my older 2007 S80 the same light that comes on when DSTC is working will illuminate.

Box checked = DSTC completely enabled. Box unchecked = DSTC in sport mode. I'd probably recommend you leave it enabled as I haven't really experienced any performance hits on newer cars. Haldex 5 is quick anyway. Main difference with DSTC off is that it'll allow some skidding/sliding and wheels will spin like crazy if you lose grip.

Edit: Use the sport mode on the shift lever if you want maximum performance and disable DSTC under controlled circumstances only. It has more effect than you might think and last thing you'll want is to realize that while skidding out of control.

Super Moderator
Do I understand correctly:

Moving the transmission to the left switches to a "sport" mode?
Yes.

Where you can push the gear shift up or down in a semi automatic mode?
When in Sport mode, you are in full automatic shifting. If you push the level up or down (still in Sport mode), you control what gear you want to drive. Not recommended; leave the car in Sport mode and let it do the work. It will shift quicker and you will have more fun.

Or use the paddles if you prefer?
Paddles, in my opinion (and this comes from a person who has owned mostly manual transmission cars) they are overrated and boring. I can't stand them for more than a few miles. Plus, when you are about to make a turn and you want to shift, they are very cumbersome..

But otherwise, the power and torque delivery are the same?
Sort of; in Sport mode, the shifting points change and the throttle mapping becomes a little more aggressive allowing to accelerate more briskly.

The dealer showed me another setting ESC (?) but I couldn't find it this morning and on previous review, was not sure how to set this?

Check or uncheck that box? What does it do?
Not sure other than how to turn it off (well, it never turns off completely); I would not mess with it, especially in a taller vehicle like the XC60.

My preference would be max power and responsiveness all the time regardless of mileage.
Sport mode, all the way.

Registered
When in Sport mode, you are in full automatic shifting. If you push the level up or down (still in Sport mode), you control what gear you want to drive. Not recommended; leave the car in Sport mode and let it do the work. It will shift quicker and you will have more fun.

What isn't recommended? Pushing the lever up and down or...leave the car in sports mode and let it do the work? When I accidentally place the car in sports mode, it seems to rev way too high and never shifts down on its own. Maybe I am just not being patient enough to wait.

Super Moderator

What isn't recommended? Pushing the lever up and down or...leave the car in sports mode and let it do the work? When I accidentally place the car in sports mode, it seems to rev way too high and never shifts down on its own. Maybe I am just not being patient enough to wait.
The "not recommended" comments was bout turning off ESC.

With regards to your latter point, it is a matter of finding the sweet spot of Sport mode and being patient enough. For example, I found out (in my V60s) that 6th gear would not engage quick enough unless I pushed the gas pedal slightly more (for example, from 60 mph to 70mph) until it shifted up from 5th to 6th...

Registered
I think the car usually doesn't rev all the way to the rev stop which is about 6500 RPM on the V8/T6 at least. Not sure about other engines. In sports mode, as the name suggests, it does.

As for shifting manually, there are some times when it does come in handy but it's mostly during a bit more "inspired" driving. For regular driving I use kickdown. Sports mode is fun to just play with the throttle mapping, feel how the car pulls instantly.

Registered
I find that the paddles are most helpful on twisty downhills when you want engine braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may be more "old school" in my tastes and sensibilities, but think "fully automatic" and "sporty" usually don't belong in the same sentence.

Using the transmission just in S and otherwise automatically feels jumpy and less in control than shifting with the paddles or the gear shift lever.

I also find the paddles handy through turns and for engine braking as they do not have the auto "blipping" feature for downshifts.

Surprisingly fun but also comfortable to drive, will be curious to learn about more performance mods such as the rear sway bar from IPD.

I find that the paddles are most helpful on twisty downhills when you want engine braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Your tranny remains in sport mode after manually shifting (while the lever is in the left position), you just have greater control of shift points, it will downshift automatically when stopped.

I personally enjoy using the paddle shifters in our V60 RD on occasion, mostly while driving back roads. Also, the sport mode in auto can hold gears a bit long at times for me, so I've felt it necessary to take over control when this happens on twisties and highways alike. Our XC60 isn't as nifty a handler, so mostly cruising on back roads without the paddles for it, but sport mode auto really livens-up its sweet six turbo. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts