SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a reference in the Owner's Manual regarding brush car washes while the car is still new or while the paint is still curing?

I never go to brush type car washes, but I am wondering: when do the experts first wax a new car?

Obviously it looks clean and new with < 500 miles, but in some ways the paint doesn't look as rich and doesn't feel as smooth as my outgoing 2007 R Wagon.

Don't know if this is a function of Titanium vs Savile Grey, but is it OK to wax a new car straight away?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have always washed/clayed/waxed straight way with no issues. But if you know the manufacture date (or can find it out)... i dont remember if the manuf. date is inside the drivers door..... i would give it 3 months from that atleast...

Love the feel of a clayed/waxed car..... hand will just glide effortlessly across the paint...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'd agree on waiting ~ 3 months if you're able to get the build date. I recently did my clay, polish and 2 coats of wax... love the way water just glides off.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Might want to look into doing a sealant vs a wax.

I just put on the CQuartz UK today. Supposed to last close to 2 years.

Had to do a full clean (wash/iron x/full clay bar/sealant).

The paint feels so smooth now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
mcmanus, how old was your XC60 when you did the treatment?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to know there is nothing wrong and that a wash, clay and wax should indeed bring even a new car up a level.

I managed to find some Meguiars clay, spray detail/cleaner in the garage today, but would rather obsess a bit over the final wax before getting started early one weekend morning.

Have any of you tried Meguiars? Zymol? Griots Garage?

Also want to mask off any rubber or plastic with blue painters tape to avoid white marks?

·
Registered
25 Posts
personally, I like Meguiars clay with the Nxt Gen2 polymer polish....the polish doesnt last too long about 3-4 months... but is super easy to apply/remove and leaves no residue, so it can be done very quickly... I clay once a year.

I recently tried Zymol because of reading good reviews... but I just dont like it. Leaves a thick residue and harder to get off...

I have never heard of the Griots Garge you mentioned. There is all types of video reviews of various car waxes on youtube...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Glad to know there is nothing wrong and that a wash, clay and wax should indeed bring even a new car up a level.

I managed to find some Meguiars clay, spray detail/cleaner in the garage today, but would rather obsess a bit over the final wax before getting started early one weekend morning.

Have any of you tried Meguiars? Zymol? Griots Garage?

Also want to mask off any rubber or plastic with blue painters tape to avoid white marks?
Here is the thread with my recent detail.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-how-I-spent-my-weekend&p=2584632#post2584632

I use Griots for washing and Megs for polishing and waxing. The newer Megs wax/ polishes are all pretty much dust free these days and fairly kind to rubber moldings.

·
Registered
745 Posts
[HR][/HR]
mcmanus, how old was your XC60 when you did the treatment?
Almost exactly 1 year. Paint is so silky smooth now. Reflection is great.

Our paint was still in amazing condition, vehicle is garaged or parked in an underground parkade rarely sits outside for long periods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.