SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those who have been to the Volvo dealer recently know that the 2015.5 and newer Volvos have a new style of "frameless" rearview mirror. The look of it is absolutely exquisite. It's available in multiple types. With or without auto dimming, with or without the compass, etc. Volvo offers it as an accessory for cars dating back to 2012, but I figured I'd give it a shot in my 2008. The mount is the same, and the wiring is the same. It's a "plug and play" installation. The only part that's different is the plastic shield that goes over the camera and sensors inside the windshield. I simply got the cover for a 2012 model and attached it after installing the 2015.5 mirror. If anybody is interested in further information, I can post it, but here are some pics of the finished product in my car.

Registered
I feel very torn. I've considered retrofitting this for a long time but I have mixed feelings. I like the frame-less design but I'm not so sure about the shape. It looks both elegant and sleek at the same time as somehow plasticky. edit: nevermind about all that except for the shape. It does look better IRL I just recalled.

Dare I ask how much it was? On a hunch I'd say $280 since it seems to be the auto-dimming and compass fitted model. I think the non-compass manual dimming one is about $80 if you find one from a salvage yard so add a slab of money to get its retail price, double that to get the auto-dimming one and another couple of tens for the compass feature.

Registered
I'd certainly be interested in more info on the install. Is the sensor cover bigger than the original one?

Registered
Frameless is a nice retrofit but it covers the black shaded/dotted area entirely??

Almost like: it fits but not realy?? Now you can see the plastic cover from the outside since its much bigger???

Could you take some pics from outside right on the mirror and the same from the inside at no angle? Thank you. Just wondering how the dots "flow into" the mirror cover? Perhaps a dot retrofit also lol

XC70 2011 D5

Registered
I might be interested in doing this upgrade to my XC60. Is any additional wiring needed to get the compass working? My XC's OEM mirror is auto-dimming, but has no compass.

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frameless is a nice retrofit but it covers the black shaded/dotted area entirely??

Almost like: it fits but not realy?? Now you can see the plastic cover from the outside since its much bigger???

Could you take some pics from outside right on the mirror and the same from the inside at no angle? Thank you. Just wondering how the dots "flow into" the mirror cover? Perhaps a dot retrofit also lol

XC70 2011 D5
My car already had a much larger cover and a different windshield design to begin with since mine has the camera up there for the lane departure warning and driver alert control. Regardless though, the new cover would cover all of that area on your car. The newer cars have the laser sensor up there for city safety, so the cover is much larger. The other option is cutting your present cover with a dremel to modify it to fit the new mirror. Either would work, but in my case, the cover wasn't that much larger since I already had the camera and rain sensor.

Registered
I might be interested in doing this upgrade to my XC60. Is any additional wiring needed to get the compass working? My XC's OEM mirror is auto-dimming, but has no compass.
Shamelessly bumping in order to figure this out. Would like to know if the extra bucks that I've been charged for the compass version are going to be worth anything. :D

Registered
There's a software available for automatic dimming but none for compass (which I have, and turned off using the button on the back. probably only needs +12V and ground).

Registered
I recently did this install as well. Love the look of the new mirror. It seems like it sits closer to the overhead console than the old mirror.

Do you happen to have a part number for the 2012+ cover?

I have noticed the autodim doesn't work, so it looks like I will need a software update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts