SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the transmission typically a soft shift from 1-2 on these cars? I keep reading everywhere that P* was supposed to quicken and firm up all the shifts.. yet, I don't notice this going into 2nd gear. The car feels like it wants to lag a bit before the gear catches. Every other transition seems fine, especially 2-3 shift which is very firm. Did I get a dud or is this to be expected? The reason I ask is that I had a 2016 T6 non-P* as a loaner a few weeks ago and the 1-2 shift was much quicker. Something seems off on mine.

·
Registered
13,507 Posts
Perhaps the loaner car you had was one was a Drive E T6 with the 8 speed transmission - I think that transmission shifts quicker.

I think the P* software does firm up and quicken the shifts a bit as my P* shifts quicker than the RD I traded in and the XC60 T6 that we still own.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was definitely the 6-speed. I could tell by the shift count on the cluster when I got up on the highway and the shift points were just about the same as my car. I can try to get a video of it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In sport mode my 16' shifts is fast and firm with a slight clunk. Auto mode is the same as every other car except when over 50% throttle or so.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of car to car variation between the way the 3.0T 6AT cars shift, based on the handful of vehicles I’ve driven including my S60 T6 P* optimized car, which is on its second tranny which isn’t as crisp as the first. There are also different iterations of Volvo software updates that have been applied to address customer complaints over the years, and a software update designed to smooth the rough shifts many have complained about might also reduce the sporty feel and soften the more positive shifts enthusiasts prefer, in the interest of appeasing the majority of customers in the more-vanilla volume seller versions. Perhaps they did an update on your car when it was in for other service, adding one of their smoother tranny tunes that reduced performance somewhat.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of car to car variation between the way the 3.0T 6AT cars shift, based on the handful of vehicles I’ve driven including my S60 T6 P* optimized car, which is on its second tranny which isn’t as crisp as the first. There are also different iterations of Volvo software updates that have been applied to address customer complaints over the years, and a software update designed to smooth the rough shifts many have complained about might also reduce the sporty feel and soften the more positive shifts enthusiasts prefer, in the interest of appeasing the majority of customers in the more-vanilla volume seller versions. Perhaps they did an update on your car when it was in for other service, adding one of their smoother tranny tunes that reduced performance somewhat.
That seems to make the most sense. I will speak with the dealer next time I'm in to see if they can shed more light on this.

Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've seen the same thing on my 2016 V60 P*. In Auto & Auto Sport the trans seems to shift pretty quickly from 1 to 2, but in manual mode it is pretty sluggish. I feel like i need to be under heavy throttle just to get it to respond in 1st gear. All the other gear changes are great and quick. This is annoying cause I drive a fair amount of city and I prefer manual mode vs sitting in high revs in auto sport.

I also have seen another quirk in the trans. A little hesitation / drop in my revs under medium throttle. When accelerating, the revs will get somewhere between 2000 and 2200 and they will drop just a hundred or so and then come back up and keep accelerating. It does not feel like the acceleration is stopping, and its not a sudden/jerk drop. Feels like the tans is thinking about up shifting, but then goes about it's way in the current gear. Its really weird and happens in both auto and manual. I am coming from driving a manual trans car, so maybe this is just how Automatics work these days?

I have an appointment with the dealer to listen to the rattle in the active exhaust and have asked them to look into the trans issues as well. I will report back what I hear.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen the same thing on my 2016 V60 P*. In Auto & Auto Sport the trans seems to shift pretty quickly from 1 to 2, but in manual mode it is pretty sluggish. I feel like i need to be under heavy throttle just to get it to respond in 1st gear. All the other gear changes are great and quick. This is annoying cause I drive a fair amount of city and I prefer manual mode vs sitting in high revs in auto sport.

I also have seen another quirk in the trans. A little hesitation / drop in my revs under medium throttle. When accelerating, the revs will get somewhere between 2000 and 2200 and they will drop just a hundred or so and then come back up and keep accelerating. It does not feel like the acceleration is stopping, and its not a sudden/jerk drop. Feels like the tans is thinking about up shifting, but then goes about it's way in the current gear. Its really weird and happens in both auto and manual. I am coming from driving a manual trans car, so maybe this is just how Automatics work these days?

I have an appointment with the dealer to listen to the rattle in the active exhaust and have asked them to look into the trans issues as well. I will report back what I hear.
That is odd. Hard to pinpoint without being in the car. Definitely not normal and hopefully will be addressed by the dealer. Is the vehicle still under warranty?

Let us know what you end up finding.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have 2016 S60. Noticed soft shift 1-2 and very quick shifts remainder of gears. Talked with the P-Star people in Sweden, via email. They confirmed the shift is softened when in sport mode. Tranny (1st & 2nd) cannot deal with the torque produced by the upgraded turbo. Remainder of gears are up to the task and should not present any issues. In their words, “if we tighten up the 1-2 shift, you’ll blow up the transmission”. Think I still have the email. 1-2 shift has never presented a problem for me as my performance demands are generally at or above 30mph where my racing friends are always impressed. I also really appreciate the candor of the Polestar support people. One of the best cars I’ve owned.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have 2016 S60. Noticed soft shift 1-2 and very quick shifts remainder of gears. Talked with the P-Star people in Sweden, via email. They confirmed the shift is softened when in sport mode. Tranny (1st & 2nd) cannot deal with the torque produced by the upgraded turbo. Remainder of gears are up to the task and should not present any issues. In their words, “if we tighten up the 1-2 shift, you’ll blow up the transmission”. Think I still have the email. 1-2 shift has never presented a problem for me as my performance demands are generally at or above 30mph where my racing friends are always impressed. I also really appreciate the candor of the Polestar support people. One of the best cars I’ve owned.
In most high torque motors used in a transverse / transaxle layout the first two gears is torque limited. This is true for older T5s as well, there just isnt enough space in a transaxle to build a really beefy gearbox and using 6 and 5 cylinder engines reduces space and cooling even more.

The 4 cylinder model manages better here because it actually produces less torque, quite a bit less at low RPM actually and then it has a bigger transmission with more cooling due to the space provided by going to a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
In most high torque motors used in a transverse / transaxle layout the first two gears is torque limited. This is true for older T5s as well, there just isnt enough space in a transaxle to build a really beefy gearbox and using 6 and 5 cylinder engines reduces space and cooling even more.

The 4 cylinder model manages better here because it actually produces less torque, quite a bit less at low RPM actually and then it has a bigger transmission with more cooling due to the space provided by going to a 4 cylinder.
Very interesting take on the weak transmission issue. I had no idea why they couldn’t handle more torque. I wonder if the P* cars have a higher tq limit on the 1-2 upshift than T6 cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts