SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have mine working. It's a base Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit install with IE9 and no further updates.
No antivirus, windows updates disabled. Setup for Virtualbox 5 with guest additions and the USB 3.0 extensions.
It's a VDI file that's clocking in at 23GB right now, dynamically sized up to 60.

I don't have a place to host a 23GB file, but I'll upload it to someone that does if they want to share.

my host OS was Ubuntu 14.04 base.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
would it be possible to have the mega download password for the image file, I could do with a copy if thats OK, many thanks
!RoIBaBgsLJDt7QlMZCiF21UUqkNZ_XU41Y7V-ooyfWU

sorry, changed it to the secure link to keep the autobots from finding it and I forgot the key.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When you have the OVA file downloaded and have VirtualBox installed you can just selected the OVA file and "openwith" VirtualBox and it walks you right through it - I had little to no idea what I was doing and still was able to get installed.

That being said, make sure the computer you're trying it on supports Virtualization before you go down this road. I just ran into this error trying it on an older laptop . . .

http://druss.co/2015/06/fix-vt-x-is-not-available-verr_vmx_no_vmx-in-virtualbox/

Oh well, lesson learned. Now to try it on the newer laptop.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got this working on the newer virtual capable machine after activating the virtual capability in the BIOS and updating my Oracle VM (which I previously had installed for remote computing and wasn't upgraded).

This is a much better solution assuming your hardware is up to it. I haven't tried it on the vehicle, but everything starts right up on the laptop.

Thanks nsjames.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I'll have to try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you have the OVA file downloaded and have VirtualBox installed you can just selected the OVA file and "openwith" VirtualBox and it walks you right through it - I had little to no idea what I was doing and still was able to get installed.

That being said, make sure the computer you're trying it on supports Virtualization before you go down this road. I just ran into this error trying it on an older laptop . . .

http://druss.co/2015/06/fix-vt-x-is-not-available-verr_vmx_no_vmx-in-virtualbox/

Oh well, lesson learned. Now to try it on the newer laptop.
good link.
sometimes I assume everyone knows things.

just be sure that you share the USB device to the guest after you plug it in and before you attempt to start VIDA.

Click on "device" go to "USB" click on your DICE device.

I built the image with a clone DICE, so you may have to install drivers if yours is different.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Ok got it up and running. thanks ns!

Install was pretty painless but it took me a while to figure how to actually access it.

After Vida is running and you've launched it, you'll reach this screen:

Simply enter "1" to proceed. No quotes. Try "ADMIN" if "1" doesn't work.

See this thread for more details (particularly post #30)

Now I just need to track down a DiCE unit.

Those using VIDA through V-Box, where'd you get your DiCE from?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Anybody got a version of this with the wiring diagrams installed, or am I missing how to access them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I get this message when I try to access wiring diagrams

Electronic Wiring Diagram (EWD) is not included on this VIDA installation.

Please install the latest Electronic Wiring Diagram (EWD).
I'd try another version unless you find some way to download the EWD.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found a copy of the EWD in one of the usual places.
I'll see if it integrates into VIDA as easy as claimed, it's not that big, I may be able to repack the ova with it and upload it.

it's only up to 2005 though. So if anyone comes up with a newer version, post up. I'm not terribly concerned because our XC is an 04.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sweet! If it's easy to add on, could you upload just the EWD? More convenient to have the full package of course, but with my terrible internet it took like 2 days to download that ova. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts