SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have outgrown our BMW X1 and I've been looking at leasing something bigger replace it (X3, CX-9, etc) but when I went and drove a 2010 XC90 3.2 at recently I was smiling the entire time. That joy was not even remotely present in any of the new cars I've driven during my search and my long history with Volvos makes an XC90 very appealing.

I recently came across a 2014 XC90 FWD platinum with 25k miles for around $23,500 on Carvana. I'm awaiting the pictures and for them to complete the inspection report and then I will have 48 hours to decide if I want to purchase it.

At this point, the only information I have about the car is from the Carfax. During its first couple years in the DC area (registered in GA, but I'm not worried about this since I lived in DC and people from out of the area would do this all the time) it accumulated about 12k miles. Then it was sold and taken up to Vermont where it has been for the last 5 years with the second owner but there are no service records on the Carfax.

A few questions for those familiar with these:
1. Should I be concerned if it was only driven a couple thousand miles a year without any maintenance (assuming there wasn't any)? Of course there could be oil degradation over that long of a period but anything else specific to the XC90 that could have deteriorated?
2. Am I absolutely crazy for buying one of these for such a high price?
3. Any concerns if I want to use this to tow a pop up camper?

Keep in mind that I'm looking for a reliable family SUV that we can use for camping and road trips. This car is still a bargain compared to the other options I'm considering but the difference is that I'd need to do the maintenance and repairs myself.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Maybe FWD is a typo, or it could be the reason for the low mileage. In Vermont... In Winter...

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's only a FWD car. Defeats the purpose of owning an XC90 ...
How does it defeat the purpose? Still has the same amount of space and storage. Also will provide higher MPG. Depending on location and intended use FWD will be absolutely fine and in some cases better than AWD. I drove a FWD v40 for 10 years in MA and had zero issues even in the biggest snowstorms. I actually felt significantly more confident in snow in my v40 than I do in my v70r (AWD). Just need good winter tires and a basic understanding of how to drive in snow and FWD is fine.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
How does it defeat the purpose? Still has the same amount of space and storage. Also will provide higher MPG. Depending on location and intended use FWD will be absolutely fine and in some cases better than AWD. I drove a FWD v40 for 10 years in MA and had zero issues even in the biggest snowstorms. I actually felt significantly more confident in snow in my v40 than I do in my v70r (AWD). Just need good winter tires and a basic understanding of how to drive in snow and FWD is fine.
I had a 2002 V40, brought it up to speed with tons of maintenance (got car free...was neglected), and wham it got totaled. That car was great. Had so much trunk space, that I helped several people move. Very heavy and well weighted vehicle. An SUV plowed into it (t-boned) at 65 MPH and sent the car to its grave. Sigh.

Car did just fine in winter (FWD).

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
I'll try to answer your questions - what a concept, lol.

1. I wouldn't worry about low mileage as long as the car was serviced at least once a year.
2. Yes, the price seems a little high but you should check all the major pricing sites, kbb, edmunds, nada, because I am not familiar with what these cars sell for. Just realize that when you get up into the mid-20's you start approaching '16 XC90 used pricing, granted, with a lot more miles but a marked move up in tech.
3. According to page 164 of the owner's manual the towing weight limit for a '14 FWD is 4k lbs with up to 4 passengers and tongue weight of 400 lbs, so not bad actually, though with that drivetrain just realize that acceleration will be marginal.

2014-Volvo-XC90-Owners-Manual.pdf (harte-hanks.com)

Good luck on your search!

Reactions: LarryM

·
Registered
2009 XC90 D5 185 R-Design, winter, summer, comms and family packs
103 Posts
Regardless of any other consideration I'd avoid a car with gaps in it's history, particularly one so expensive. Thats indicative of a vehicle not cared for as it should.

That's pretty pricy, has only FWD, and only a partial history... there are no shortage of used XC's that are reasonably priced, are AWD, and have a book full of stamps, so even with the low mileage I can see no compelling reason to buy it.

It's your call though, it's not me paying the bills.

·
Registered
475 Posts
No service records in Carfax is a red flag for sure. Both our recent XC purchases had loads of service history from the Volvo dealers that serviced them in the Carfax.

As mentioned by others: no records, no deal. Though, at 25K miles, the car really only needed oil changes. On the other hand, good oil is key to the 3.2:'s longevity.

I'd shop local. See what you can find. KBB says Carvana is waaaaay overpriced.

-Ryan

Reactions: MyVolvoS60

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm of the opinion that no service records in Carfax has very little significance. Especially at this little bit of mileage. Regardless of that point, the price is much too high. Then again, I also hate buying from dealerships (Carvana and Vroom are at the top of that list).

There are tons of people that do their own service, and I certainly am not going to report it to Carfax.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,188 Posts
We have outgrown our BMW X1 and I've been looking at leasing something bigger replace it (X3, CX-9, etc) but when I went and drove a 2010 XC90 3.2 at recently I was smiling the entire time. That joy was not even remotely present in any of the new cars I've driven during my search and my long history with Volvos makes an XC90 very appealing.

I recently came across a 2014 XC90 FWD platinum with 25k miles for around $23,500 on Carvana. I'm awaiting the pictures and for them to complete the inspection report and then I will have 48 hours to decide if I want to purchase it.

At this point, the only information I have about the car is from the Carfax. During its first couple years in the DC area (registered in GA, but I'm not worried about this since I lived in DC and people from out of the area would do this all the time) it accumulated about 12k miles. Then it was sold and taken up to Vermont where it has been for the last 5 years with the second owner but there are no service records on the Carfax.

A few questions for those familiar with these:
1. Should I be concerned if it was only driven a couple thousand miles a year without any maintenance (assuming there wasn't any)? Of course there could be oil degradation over that long of a period but anything else specific to the XC90 that could have deteriorated?
2. Am I absolutely crazy for buying one of these for such a high price?
3. Any concerns if I want to use this to tow a pop up camper?

Keep in mind that I'm looking for a reliable family SUV that we can use for camping and road trips. This car is still a bargain compared to the other options I'm considering but the difference is that I'd need to do the maintenance and repairs myself.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
1. Do you need AWD?
2. If you are going camping, will you take it off pavement? If so, while AWD is not needed, if you have the family with you, AWD will definitely be appreciated to help prevent getting stuck.
3. If you plan on towing a pop-up camper and the weight bias moves towards the rear, then the front wheels could slip off pavement. AWD might be a better fit.
4. If you get snow where you live, it just feels safer driving the family with AWD. Also, as most of the country has seen recently, AWD can really help in those snow days.
5. The mileage is fine and the age isn't an issue yet.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I'll try to answer your questions - what a concept, lol.

1. I wouldn't worry about low mileage as long as the car was serviced at least once a year.
2. Yes, the price seems a little high but you should check all the major pricing sites, kbb, edmunds, nada, because I am not familiar with what these cars sell for. Just realize that when you get up into the mid-20's you start approaching '16 XC90 used pricing, granted, with a lot more miles but a marked move up in tech.
3. According to page 164 of the owner's manual the towing weight limit for a '14 FWD is 4k lbs with up to 4 passengers and tongue weight of 400 lbs, so not bad actually, though with that drivetrain just realize that acceleration will be marginal.

2014-Volvo-XC90-Owners-Manual.pdf (harte-hanks.com)

Good luck on your search!
9/21/2015 Vehicle Serviced at 12,169 miles (way over the 10k). Vehicle has no record of 20k being done. That's alone would give me pause. Once a year servicing or fluids go bad. Maybe done at an indie, maybe never done at all. 3 Years on same fluids would be pretty bad.

Ya, I think he's best spending another $5k to enter 2016 or 2017 market on a similar vehicle, if his budget allows. 2014 is now 7 or 8 years old. Lots of newer cars that still come with a bit left on their warranty in the 2017 year range (CPO).

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
No service records in Carfax is a red flag for sure. Both our recent XC purchases had loads of service history from the Volvo dealers that serviced them in the Carfax.

As mentioned by others: no records, no deal. Though, at 25K miles, the car really only needed oil changes. On the other hand, good oil is key to the 3.2:'s longevity.

I'd shop local. See what you can find. KBB says Carvana is waaaaay overpriced.

-Ryan
Agreed. Missing 3 years (9/21/18 = 10k done at 12,169). No mention of 20k. Also 2014, even with low mileage at 25,000, is way overpriced. I'd spend maybe $4-6k and jump into a newer model year that still has some warranty. Factory or CPO. Little extra money if OP can afford would make worlds of difference.

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
9/21/2015 Vehicle Serviced at 12,169 miles (way over the 10k). Vehicle has no record of 20k being done. That's alone would give me pause. Once a year servicing or fluids go bad. Maybe done at an indie, maybe never done at all. 3 Years on same fluids would be pretty bad.

Ya, I think he's best spending another $5k to enter 2016 or 2017 market on a similar vehicle, if his budget allows. 2014 is now 7 or 8 years old. Lots of newer cars that still come with a bit left on their warranty in the 2017 year range (CPO).
The 10k service was done at 8,859 miles on 3/14/15 according to the carfax and then was apparently done again on 9/21/15, again, according to the carfax, and then nothing for three years. I probably wouldn't pass on the car due to this but I certainly wouldn't be paying a premium for it.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The 10k service was done at 8,859 miles on 3/14/15 according to the carfax and then was apparently done again on 9/21/15, again, according to the carfax, and then nothing for three years. I probably wouldn't pass on the car due to this but I certainly wouldn't be paying a premium for it.
On 3/14/15, the 10K was done by Don Beyers Volvo of Alexandria, but then 4 months later on 9/21/15 the same was repeated by Ourisam Chrysler. See Oil / Filter Changed + Maintenance Inspection.

So I went off that last "date" car was inspected. But you're right, the original 10k was done on 3/14/15

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
, and I certainly am not going to report it to Carfax.
Why not? Carfax has a great vehicle record subscription on their website (free) to maintain service history, including DIY. Surprising what shows up automatically, like tires and alignments from even small outlets. Emission inspection, registration, and reminders for everything.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I'm of the opinion that no service records in Carfax has very little significance. Especially at this little bit of mileage. Regardless of that point, the price is much too high. Then again, I also hate buying from dealerships (Carvana and Vroom are at the top of that list).

There are tons of people that do their own service, and I certainly am not going to report it to Carfax.
This creates a gap in the chain of ownership, and significantly impacts a cars future resale value. People are going to shy away from a vehicle where maintenance cannot be verified.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This creates a gap in the chain of ownership, and significantly impacts a cars future resale value. People are going to shy away from a vehicle where maintenance cannot be verified.
Maybe for something like a CPO, or an exotic. Even less applicable in this case, as Carvana has a fairly generous return policy AFAIK. Contrary to popular belief, /most/ people do their oil changes relatively on time. I just don't need a Carfax to tell me if a car is worth buying or not. Is it helpful? Sure. Is it the gold standard for vehicle condition? Definitely not.

Frankly I'm surprised more people don't bother with getting a pre-purchase inspection on a used vehicle. I've paid between $50-150 for these in various US states, and they always tell me way more than I would see in prior service records. Not to mention the fact that a PPI is great at be used as leverage on the price. I've never paid more for a PPI than I've been able to haggle off the price. Just my 2c.

Why not? Carfax has a great vehicle record subscription on their website (free) to maintain service history, including DIY. Surprising what shows up automatically, like tires and alignments from even small outlets. Emission inspection, registration, and reminders for everything.
Thanks, I didn't know they offered this. I suppose I could see it being useful if you weren't already tracking this information elsewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I'm aware this is FWD. I've never had any issues with any of my FWD cars on snow tires so it's not a concern for me.

Sadly, the 2016+ XC90 or any other newer Volvos are not an option. The infotainment screen with no physical controls is a deal breaker for me.

Thank you all for the input. As of this morning the clock is now ticking and I have to decide whether or not to roll the dice!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've preferred FWD over AWD or RWD. AWD gives poorer gas mileage and more expensive to maintain. RWD is usually poor in the snow although that could be debunked after taking the Tesla Y for a drive in winter conditions. I get overruled by my wife and she wants the AWD. I get the FWD.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts