SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Last year my husband bought a new 2014 XC90. So far the car has been great but there are some quirks and I am trying to find out if these are on-going issues. The car has been back to the dealer three times and they always say "they can't replicate the problem". So here goes the litany of issues -
1. Back-up camera sometimes does not come up at all when the car is in reverse and the image does not appear to be clear. Dealer said it was a software issue and that they updated the software but my husband swears it is still not working properly.
2. Loud whining noise - When the car is first started the engine runs at a high rpm and with a loud whine, after a few seconds the idle drops back and the whine becomes less noticeable. Dealer said this is "just how the car is" and there is no fix for it because the whine is inherent with all XC-90's.
3. Windshield wipers - When the wipers complete their sweep my husband thinks they are too loud. Again, dealer said there is nothing wrong with the wipers.
4. Loss of coolant - The low coolant came on several times. The car was taken back to the dealer and they topped off the coolant and said it low due to evaporation. My husband says the cooling system is a "closed system" and there should be no evaporation, so where is the coolant going?
5. Possible wheel bearing issue - Unusual noise coming from left front and when making a turn you can hear a what I would call a clunking noise, especially at a slow speed.

I hope someone can shed some light on the issues above because knowing my husband he is going to harp on this until Volvo's fly, which in turn is driving me up the wall. All that said I still love my 02 Volvo XC70! :) Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi - Last year my husband bought a new 2014 XC90. So far the car has been great but there are some quirks and I am trying to find out if these are on-going issues. The car has been back to the dealer three times and they always say "they can't replicate the problem". So here goes the litany of issues -
1. Back-up camera sometimes does not come up at all when the car is in reverse and the image does not appear to be clear. Dealer said it was a software issue and that they updated the software but my husband swears it is still not working properly.
2. Loud whining noise - When the car is first started the engine runs at a high rpm and with a loud whine, after a few seconds the idle drops back and the whine becomes less noticeable. Dealer said this is "just how the car is" and there is no fix for it because the whine is inherent with all XC-90's.
3. Windshield wipers - When the wipers complete their sweep my husband thinks they are too loud. Again, dealer said there is nothing wrong with the wipers.
4. Loss of coolant - The low coolant came on several times. The car was taken back to the dealer and they topped off the coolant and said it low due to evaporation. My husband says the cooling system is a "closed system" and there should be no evaporation, so where is the coolant going?
5. Possible wheel bearing issue - Unusual noise coming from left front and when making a turn you can hear a what I would call a clunking noise, especially at a slow speed.

I hope someone can shed some light on the issues above because knowing my husband he is going to harp on this until Volvo's fly, which in turn is driving me up the wall. All that said I still love my 02 Volvo XC70! :) Thanks in advance for any advice!
I have a few 06 volvo's, but I'll give my 2 cents

2 - could be idler or power steering pump.. I've got a similar sequel on my xc70 that does that - only when engine is cold. Not when warm - I still haven't narrowed it down yet.

3 - RainX windshield - use wipers less.

4 - He's right- it shouldn't be loosing coolant like that.

5 - Wheel bearings usually whine.. Clunking to me sounds rotational - like Rotor/brakes/Axle - Does it happen more when you speed up? -

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
If available, I personally would take it to another dealer for a second opinion. The coolant issue is probably the most concerning. Where is it going? If it's not leaking, it's either in the transmission or being burned off in the engine. I have an 08, I have put 108k miles on it in three years, I have yet to top off the coolant.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The best way to handle noise complaints under warranty is to duplicate and point the noise out to the technician. I can't reinforce this enough. As a tech that worked at a Volvo and BMW dealer I would much rather have the customer point out the noise they are having. There are so many different noises vehicles can make that even with your descriptions you gave, it's possible that a tech did not hear or experience them and you will get the "could not duplicate" answer. Having said that.
1. The camera has a lens in the back and they tend to need cleaning quite often. I have seen them with moisture inside the lens too so that can also cause the blurry display. You could just have a bad camera.
2. The engines do idle high on a cold start to warm the o2 sensors and catalyst for emissions purposes. Any whining noise could be from power steering pump, ac compressor, belt out of alignment, timing chain, transmission hydraulic pump, hard to say without hearing it.
3. Just replace the wipers and make sure the windshield is clean. I like either Volvo blades, or Bosch ICON's.
4. There can be a very minimal loss of coolant due to evaporation. As the coolant heats and expands, pressure is relieved to the atmosphere and some water vapor is lost. Over time it can be a small amount. If you are adding more that a few ounces every 6 months then there is likely an issue. UV Dye can be added to the system and and leaks checked with a black light. That's generally used if there are no signs of coolant leaks. The dye will leave behind a definite trail.
5. Hard to know for sure on that one. I've seen many bad CV axles do that. Bad strut mount bushings, brake backing plate touching rotor (more common if brakes were recently replaced), sway bar end links, rocks in tire tread.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Some loss of coolant between services due to evaporation is 100% normal on these cars. I've been doing this for almost ten years, and almost every car needs a coolant top up at each service. As mentioned above, the system is vented through the cap allowing vapour to escape. Worry not!

If it's needing to be topped up BETWEEN services, then yes, it needs a closer look. Every so often we see leaking water pumps on the 3.2.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here is my 0.00002Cents

1) Cameras do go bad and a simple camera replacement could solve the issue..had the same issue on my 2012 Cadillac. It costs OEM $20 for that stupid camera, so don't expect them to be bullet proof. Request a new camera..PERIOD.
2) Saying the car makes a whine noise on a cold start is very vague, a lot goes on when you start a car especially cold starts. The best way to trouble shoot is get a can of WD40 then as the car is whining start spraying into the different pulleys one at a time and see which one gets quitter after spraying it. If the noise is still there after spraying the WD 40, then IF the car is still whining (or the next morning) do the same procedure with the belts. After doing all these and the noise is still there then you can rule out the pulleys and the belts. Its probably the nature of the beast, all I know is my 2.5T doesn't do it.
3) Wipers are noise, mine do the same especially if the windshield is not wet enough. Easiest way to troubleshoot is buy a set of new wipers and see if there is a difference in noise.
4) Loss of coolant should not happen, coolant doesn't just evaporate to the point where the sensor comes one. This is a 2yr old car, and coolant doesn't evaporate after 2 yrs. This could be a faulty sensor or just coolant being lost somehow. I hope is just happen to be low and not head gasket failure related. Check the oil dip stick for signs of oil/coolant mix to rule out coolant breaching into your engine aka signs of head gasket failure.
5) On a Volvo clunking and wheel bearing don't usually go together (but anything is possible). Wheel bearings usually tend to whine. Maybe a snap, click, or pop can be heard when cornering or turning sharply usually due to inadequate clamping. Maybe you are hearing a "grinding" like sound?. To check the wheel bearing just make some small steering wheel pulls or turns opposite of where the noise is coming from. For example if you think its front left then as you driving straight slightly turn the wheel to the right so you can put load on that wheel bearing. In this case the noise will intensify. Plus wheel bearing noise tends to change as the vehicle speed changes.

Good luck hope these helped :thumbup:

·
Registered
171 Posts
We had #5 off and on for about a year. While still under CPO, local dealer applied the "lubricant" on the back of the brakepads. This is where the brake pads meet the backing plate. Drove us crazy. Problem went away for a short time but always reappeared.
Once I redid the brakes and rotors myself after the CPO ran out, the problem went away completely. Not sure if the previous shop mis-matched the pad/rotor combo or what, but for is it was brakes.
If you look at one of the stickies on this forum you will see the Official Weird Popping noises thread. Lots of reports of low speed clunking and noise. Everything in there from spring seats to bushings to brakes.
Regarding the engine noise, I do not own a 3.2 but did test drive a couple and I honestly found it to be a bit loud in general. It's quite possible this is actually normal.
Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts