SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we've owned our xc 60 since late 2014, purchased CPO and the warranty ended late 2019, have had all scheduled maintenance done at local dealer and coming up on 90,000 mile service, have not had any significant issues and really love the car which is why im a bit torn about what to do, we have the base model with the 3.2l B6324s5 engine code

at about 87500 got a warning to add oil, immediately topped it off which took about 2 quarts, have since added at least another quart in the last 2000 miles as its currently at 89500
dont see any obvious leak, and havent ever seen anything on the concrete,

still getting about the same gas mileage and certainly dont see any smoke that makes me think its burning oil, what am i looking at for possible causes other than needing an engine rebuild, id just like to be informed enough to talk to them when i take it in, cant say i completely trust them but they are the only volvo service within 3 hours, thought about taking it to a local independent mechanic,

this has by far been my favorite vehicle and had planned on keeping it out to that 150k mile mark like my prior vehicles, any help, suggestions or thread links are appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well finally had service done, which led to a whole bunch of nothing,
PCV was fine, no known or obvious leaks, basically states i had to do the consumption test for 200$ but normal consumption is up to 1 quart per 1000 miles lol, states if I cross that mark they will submit to volvo for possible coverage, however he was pretty doubtful given the age and mileage, but they were pretty quick to suggest replacing the steering rack for 2500$

I guess at this point I just plan to see if it steadily worsens and plan on changing the oil more often, he blatantly states it was/is a known issue but not much to be done other than a rebuild if it worsens

has anybody else here been in this situation, if so how fast did it worsen

·
Registered
188 Posts
My other turbo car had oil consumption caused by blow-by due to poor piston rings. It got worse over time. I just dealt with it for years by keeping oil in the trunk and topping up. Some think using thicker oil helps.

I think new engines should not be revved up past 4000 RPM for the first 5000 miles. It lets the piston rings seat properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts