SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 377 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am starting this thread here because this subforum seems to be more open to the idea of modifications when compared to the S80 forum. I have been looking at the new gauges, and they are definitely the exact same shape as the previous cluster, so they will physically fit in the dash properly. They are also controlled by the same wheel and buttons on the left stalk. It has me thinking about retrofitting the gauges. I believe we just need to find out what the wiring situation is for them. If they receive their information and power through the same style harness, then it should be a plug and play affair if swapping in a used cluster. If putting in a new one, then it should require a software download just as any new cluster would. I'm very hopeful for this, but haven't been able to get ahold of 2014 wiring diagrams yet. Does anybody here have any input?

I've already retrofitted the 2014 S80 tail lights to my car and they were plug and play and fit perfectly. Not that this would be the same.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very interesting. But I would bet it would void the warranty. I say this as someone with an S60 with less than 12k miles with an open ticket to get my transmission flased (when Volvo decides what the new flash will be).

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 210,000 miles on my car have also voided the warranty. ;)

Here's the wiring diagram for the older gauge cluster. It looks like it only connects with 4 wires. Power, Ground, Can +, and Can -. That really leads me to believe that the new clusters would be directly compatible.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You could be correct. And any differences in programming could be in the screen that would be installed. Could work, but as I stated above, someone else with an out-of-warranty S60 would have to be the guinea pig. Or an S80 hint hint.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh, and what about mileage? I wonder if a new cluster would automatically adjust to the current?

·
Administrator
55,950 Posts
a retrofit kit for the TFT cluster into pre-14 cars - hmm this sounds familiar. ;)

·
Registered
364 Posts
You could be correct. And any differences in programming could be in the screen that would be installed. Could work, but as I stated above, someone else with an out-of-warranty S60 would have to be the guinea pig. Or an S80 hint hint.
I am also very interested in doing this swap as well. I will be out of warranty 8500 miles.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Why would a panel swap void the warranty? This would probably have to be done by the dealer. No doubt VIDA would be needed for configuration assuming it's even possible.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I seriously doubt it would void the warranty beyond the gauge cluster itself. The biggest concern for me would be the can bus signals themselves. Will an older model be putting out the same commands to the gauge as the newer model. If the gauge functions are 100% identical old to new (in terms of functionality) then MAYBE is the answer.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I seriously doubt it would void the warranty beyond the gauge cluster itself. The biggest concern for me would be the can bus signals themselves. Will an older model be putting out the same commands to the gauge as the newer model. If the gauge functions are 100% identical old to new (in terms of functionality) then MAYBE is the answer.
I think your concerns are right on. If the data signal going to gauge cluster has the raw data for the information to be displayed through the cambus signals already. Then hopefully the gauge cluster itself is doing interpolation/display.

·
Registered
950 Posts
We're starting to think about keeping the S60, off lease. I'm starting to think about things I would change. This would be right up there with switching to the IPD rear sway bar. Mostly I hate the front lit LED's on the original cluster.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think your concerns are right on. If the data signal going to gauge cluster has the raw data for the information to be displayed through the cambus signals already. Then hopefully the gauge cluster itself is doing interpolation/display.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. The canbus network is simply a conveyer of information, and there are many canbus modules in the 2014 cars that should be the same as the older cars. That said, the canbus network should operate on the same protocol unless they changed all of the other modules, which seems like it would make no sense. Based on how I've observed volvo do things in the past, the cluster is just a display screen for the car's information. It takes the canbus information and interprets the information and displays it.

Regarding odometer mileage: The mileage is stored in the cluster and can only be written by VIDA once when the cluster is brand new. So, if you use a used cluster, it will display the mileage that is on the cluster itself from the car from which it was removed. The advantage to using a used cluster is that it will work right out of the box and allow you to test to see if it'll work in our old cars without the assistance of a volvo dealership or the cost of a software download. I plan on using a used cluster to experiment with this as soon as I can get my hands on one. I've been watching the salvage yard that gets the IIHS crash test cars for 2014s to show up.

When a brand new cluster is installed, VIDA is connected to the car where it downloads the mileage information and stores this information. Then, when the new cluster is installed, it then writes this information back to the new cluster, thus retaining your mileage.

If you choose to go with a used cluster, your car's actual mileage can still be read from the CEM with VIDA. The CEM keeps a running total of the car's mileage as well.

Regarding warranty, the magnuson-moss warranty act of 1975 limits manufactures from voiding warranties based on modifications. They may only limit the warranty if the modification directly caused the failure, and they must prove that it did.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just had a huge breakthrough here. The software downloads are the same when installing the 2014 cluster as when installing the older cluster! This means that they almost certainly have to be compatible!

Below are the listings for the new 2014 cluster for a 3.0 S80

Follow this link for the same thing for the 2013 cluster for the same car:
http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/s...=2013&ukey_category=7882&ukey_driveLine=11328

The DIM reload is the same! That basically indicates that as far as the car is concerned, the cluster is the same thing. Also, the 2014 clusters are less expensive than the 2013 and below clusters believe it or not.

http://www.volvopartsdept.com/OEMParts/volvo-158/3/36001774.html

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Sounds nice!

·
Registered
83 Posts
This all sounds very interesting. But just to be clear, the 2014 S80 & S60 use similar but different gauge clusters. Correct?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This all sounds very interesting. But just to be clear, the 2014 S80 & S60 use similar but different gauge clusters. Correct?
The physical shape is identical, but the cluster's internal software is going to be a bit different. The new clusters show an illustration of the car, so that varies depending on the car. The older clusters were like this too. There should be different part numbers for each model on the new clusters, but I have only researched the S80 ones for obvious reasons. This is speculation based upon how the old clusters worked.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I hate to rain on this parade, but I just checked the price for a gauge cluster for our 2012 XC60 on Tasca...$1090! I can only assume the new cluster will be even pricier. Lot of coin for what is essentially a cosmetic upgrade. As a point of comparison, the front bumper shows to be $643 so that same coin could be invested in converting to the new front bumper design if you prefer that (note: the front bumper conversion will probably be well over a grand once you factor in the grill and various trim and clips too...do you need new lights), and it would be a noticeable update to the car. When my wife smashed the front bumper on her '01 530i I upgraded it to the M5 front bumper cover. I went with a repo model so the fit wasn't 100%, but it was goo enough for a 10 year old car. As with any bumper conversion the "extras" (new wheel well liners, undertray, etc.) drove the cost up. As a VERY interesting aside, the bumper covers listed on Tasca show to be PAINTED (passion red, black sapphire, etc.).

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hate to rain on this parade, but I just checked the price for a gauge cluster for our 2012 XC60 on Tasca...$1090! I can only assume the new cluster will be even pricier. Lot of coin for what is essentially a cosmetic upgrade. As a point of comparison, the front bumper shows to be $643 so that same coin could be invested in converting to the new front bumper design if you prefer that (note: the front bumper conversion will probably be well over a grand once you factor in the grill and various trim and clips too...do you need new lights), and it would be a noticeable update to the car. When my wife smashed the front bumper on her '01 530i I upgraded it to the M5 front bumper cover. I went with a repo model so the fit wasn't 100%, but it was goo enough for a 10 year old car. As with any bumper conversion the "extras" (new wheel well liners, undertray, etc.) drove the cost up. As a VERY interesting aside, the bumper covers listed on Tasca show to be PAINTED (passion red, black sapphire, etc.).
As I stated above, the new cluster is actually LESS expensive than the older style. The price from my local dealer is about $960 ($932 at the link I posted above). I hear you that the front bumper design would be a more dramatic upgrade, however I personally don't like the style of the new S80 front bumper. It's a matter of personal preference. Personally, I believe that the $1000 would be better spent on the gauge cluster since that's the part of the car I see the most. Also, I simply prefer the front of my car better than the new style. If I were to change the front bumper, I think I would do the V70 R design bumper over anything.

1 - 20 of 377 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.