SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The purpose of this thread is to channel all information to successfully retrofit the steering wheel with paddles in your S/V/XC60 from 2010 on. I will update this post to keep it up-to-date when new information comes in.
Currently there are afaik 2 users on this forum who have retrofitted the steeringwheel with paddles.

List of partnumbers you need:

31367921 - GSM - Gear Shift Module. This is the version with the silver/black knob and white letters on it. The partnumber may be higher than 31367921 but not lower! Except Polestar. I suspect they are using the new module with the old trasnparent knob.
31332534 - Steering Wheel. If you have a R Design steering wheel, you can replace the silver lining and buttons.
31343662 - Airbag Ring (Clockspring) - optional
31343014 - SWM - Steering Wheel module

If you're close to a scrap yard it's best to cut some original connectors and use the cables from that. Otherwise you might need to improvise.

You can check if your GSM comes with all 6 wires:
1. BU-GY
2. BN-VT
3. GN-OG
4. GY paddle shift
5. GN-VT paddles shift

6. BK-GN

And your SWM needs to have all 10 wires. If you have one with 8 or 6 wires you need to replace it.

1. GY paddle shift

2. BK
3. Canbus -
4. Canbus +
5. GN-VT paddle shift
6. GN-OG
7. GN-BK
8. GN-WH
9. BU (This may not be the case if there is no heated steering wheel)
10. BU-WH

+2014 SWM is different and all connections are there.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Have you checked the airbag itself? I was looking into retrofitting the heated steering wheel and noticed from the schematic that the airbag on the 2014+ models have 3 ignitors while there are only 2 on the earlier models.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Have you checked the airbag itself? I was looking into retrofitting the heated steering wheel and noticed from the schematic that the airbag on the 2014+ models have 3 ignitors while there are only 2 on the earlier models.
Let me know how the heated steering wheel retrofit goes. Looking at doing the same to my 2014

2014 Volvo S60, polestar tune, elevate rear sway bar, polestar endlinks, K&N filter, polestar 370mm brakes, Rdesign shocks, H&R springs, Polestar strut tower brace, Elevate exhaust... downpipe and intercooler to come this spring

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
So just to be clear.

This is the Gear selector I need from a 2015.
Yes. Your GSM doesn't have any programming for paddle shifters. You need the 2014+ GSM.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't think the extra connector is related to the airbag tho. I just plugged in the two that were already there and I had no error pop-up or anything.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I had mine fitted by the dealer. Just looked up the part number on the Volvo site, referenced that against the engine code and they said it wouldn't be an issue.

Mine is the 8 Speed though, the 6 speed might be more complicated

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ah, so you have to replace the entire steering wheel.

EDIT: Looks like if you do that, you could potentially upgrade to the heated steering wheel too?

In that case 31418287 looks to be the ticket.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
The heated steering wheel requires a separate heated steering wheel module (HSWM) that gets mounted under the dash. You will need to then adding wiring from it to the SWM and fusebox and add the button to the waterfall console. Unclear if software is needed to operate the button or if can be enabled with VDASH.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hmmm then that might be more prohibitive and sounds like it needs a different clockspring for that. Maybe if I can get my hands on a totalled car in a few years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey,

2010-2013 SWM is different, as of 2014-2017. There are no places for gear speed cables. It has to be modified.

2010-2013 Airbag Ring / Clockspring works if you change one of the connections in the SWM. 2010-2013 SWM goes two neutral wires (-) to the steering wheel. The second cable can be connected to gear speed.

No need to change the airbag wires or connector. Only you have to use it when you remove the steering wheel. First, disconnect the battery and wait 15-30min.

If you also want heating for the 2010-2013 car, the Airbag / clocksping must be replaced. Then you get more connections.

I don't know if 2014-2017 car parts, SWM and Airbag Ring / Clocksping will work for 2010-2013. Maybe Vida can't do it, as she couldn't on the instrument panel. Maybe VDASH could.

But even with old parts, it can work if you modify it a little.

I have put another conversation about this project some photos. They might be moving here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It would be great if you were able to reupload those photos, since they've been taken down since.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
If you use a 2014 clock spring you will need the 2014 SWM then it's up to the CEM to communicate with it. I'm guessing it probably won't.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here are some pictures.

1pcej4
2u7prv4

Here you can see the difference between 2010-2013 and 2014-2017.

If you want heating 2010-2013 car, then you need 3 more contacts Airbag ring / clockspring.

2010-2013 these connections are not enough that they would be sufficient for gear paddles and heating.

50mx6p
2s8rdol
2ppbx47
29nyqhe
5d6y3k

A little confusing instructions. But hopefully it would help.

If you use a 2014 clock spring you will need the 2014 SWM then it's up to the CEM to communicate with it. I'm guessing it probably won't.

Yes, both light switch and windshield washer switch (There is a different connector). And they should all be programmed. The problem may be that they can be programmed in an older car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks a lot! Going to try and convince someone to do it for me now! :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts