SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard recently someone say the 2014 S60 might have optional paddle shifters as well as the instrument cluster seen in the V40. I am as skeptical as the next guy, but another person on youtube said the same thing. Youtube is unreliable and the 2014 is not in production yet, however I find it weird that these 2 people would say the same thing. This all sounds stupid yet I have to ask, has anyone else heard something similar lately? I would upgrade for that instrument cluster alone.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Volvo has a history of pushing features from other new vehicles into previous models within a few model years after release, so it is a possibility. But I haven't even seen any speculation that this will be the case, just hopes.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Hopefully... Seeing as the V60 Hybrid already has the V40's instrument cluster I doubt it would be all that difficult to put into the S60.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think they should have made the upgrade to the 2013 vehicle. There are a few posters on this forum who know what lies ahead as they have alluded to this in the past. I just wish we could get a nod in the right direction. I'd love to get a T5 AWD S60 with the V40/V60 Hybrid instrument cluster and I'd really like to know when that will debut. Until then, I will probably have to hold out.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The thing to remember is that the V60 Hybrid and V40 are non-US models. This means those instrument clusters haven't gone through DOT certification. Unless I'm mistaken, they are the first clusters of their kind, so who knows what DOT is going to say about them when they do actually get submitted (if they haven't been already).

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I don't think you have to worry too much about DOT certification, they approved the current cluster! There are certain light conditions where I find reading the reflective numbers very difficult to read causing me to take my eyes off the road for longer periods of time than I would like. With all the damn speed cameras around these days I really wish the S60 had a heads up display. These are probably the worst gauges I've ever had to use in that regard.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses you guys. I am going to wait out until next year to see what happens. :D

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Paddle shifters...Volvo is only ten years behind on this one. :facepalm:

·
Registered
121 Posts
The thing to remember is that the V60 Hybrid and V40 are non-US models. This means those instrument clusters haven't gone through DOT certification. Unless I'm mistaken, they are the first clusters of their kind, so who knows what DOT is going to say about them when they do actually get submitted (if they haven't been already).
I believe the Dodge Dart already employes something similar as did the Ford Fusion Hybrid when it came out a couple years ago. The Cadillac XTS is also equipped with this type of gauge cluster.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paddle shifters...Volvo is only ten years behind on this one. :facepalm:
Volvo likes to take its time. The XC90 has had basically the same design for a decade now.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My question is since volvo originally claimed to some journalists that the transmission was the weak link on the S60 T6 and IIRC the reason a manual wasn't offered was packaging issues. Yet we see the $200,000 polestar S60 running around with a Manual transmission. This says to me the so called "packaging issue" has been solved. Does this drop a hint that a Manual might be available next year?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
My question is since volvo originally claimed to some journalists that the transmission was the weak link on the S60 T6 and IIRC the reason a manual wasn't offered was packaging issues. Yet we see the $200,000 polestar S60 running around with a Manual transmission. This says to me the so called "packaging issue" has been solved. Does this drop a hint that a Manual might be available next year?
Don't count on it. Volvo doesn't want MT clientele. If they do it's probably only for one year after which they leave you in the cold again. Just give up. If you want a nice MT go shop elsewhere.
Also the reason why one of these days the Polestar effort will backfire on them. A completely useless marketing hiccup promoting a car that will never be a part of Volvo's offerings.
If you want a fun car go buy a Merc AMG or a BMW M or every other brand with a big engine and a manual transmission and don't look back.

And flippers?? I don't understand all the fuzz about them. Combined with a GT it isn't even worth the effort.

I think you'll have to sit this one out at least until the current board of directors leave the company.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Don't count on it. Volvo doesn't want MT clientele. If they do it's probably only for one year after which they leave you in the cold again. Just give up. If you want a nice MT go shop elsewhere.
Also the reason why one of these days the Polestar effort will backfire on them. A completely useless marketing hiccup promoting a car that will never be a part of Volvo's offerings.
If you want a fun car go buy a Merc AMG or a BMW M or every other brand with a big engine and a manual transmission and don't look back.

And flippers?? I don't understand all the fuzz about them. Combined with a GT it isn't even worth the effort.

I think you'll have to sit this one out at least until the current board of directors leave the company.
I disagree. Volvo has a unique demographic target that can now also include anyone who used to like Saabs. I see the demographic as an overlap between someone who might be interested in a BMW (performance, european features but too flashy) a prius (educated, environmental concern) and an Accord (practical, family, good handling, MT available). No one covers all that like Volvo. Manual transmissions are unique in the U.S. and would fit in well with what Volvo has to offer. Their station wagons are also a unique component that they ought to preserve.

I drove an S40 with MT and thought it was great. The new S60 is just so good that I was willing to tolerate an automatic. If they offered an S60 T5 with MT (and dynamic package?), I think there would be enough interest to justify the offering even if the large majority still sold with automatics.

I also think that the S60 polestar and R-design are worth the effort. Volvo has a decent enthusiast following that is probably helpful to the brand in the same way that the corvette helps sell other chevys. There are many out there who get excited about both old 240s and the polestar. The R-design got me into the showroom and I ended up purchasing a T5 even though I wasn't planning on buying a car for a few more years.

·
Registered
71 Posts
From another thread here, here is one of the pictures that make us think the MY14 has paddle shifters

·
Registered
989 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
What do you want it to be combined with, an SMG?

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts