SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I got a 2014 T5 as a loaner and it has been a joy to drive! I've driven a T5 AWD V60 and was turned off by the vibration it had when running, later was impressed with that engine in the V60 CC and it's suspension setup. This one was a T5 Premier and when I got it I noticed what sounded like warped brakes when driving so I figure it was probably driven hard in the time it has been a loaner. It wasn't until I had to merge on the highway and put it in sport mode that it really came alive! Wow! The power kicked in hard and that thing pulled up to speed in no time with the engine having a sweet note while doing it! The suspension on the car was damped quoted nicely and the steering responded quite quickly to inputs, the car felt exactly how I like a car to feel, firm but not so that the bumps become annoying with power delivery linear and strong.

It is a bit on the smaller side on the inside and surprisingly like the A3 I test drove the other day, which felt pretty much the same. I think for next year, Volvo should make the Inscription the standard size for the S60 line and do a run of 5 cylinder engines in the R-Design trim instead of the T5 Drive-E, don't have to be AWD like the current T5 Drive-E Special Edition (but with the longer wheelbase). That would be a nice send off for that engine. This has me thinking I could live with the S60 as a daily driver but with the longer wheelbase (really like that extra space back there) and is making the Inscription AWD look appealing. I recently picked up a 2007 S80 V8 and love that engine note but it does not handle like the S60. I got plans to do some changes to see if I can tighten it up a bit but the feel of the S60 with the 5 cylinder T5 was so exhilarating!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have been very pleased with my 2014 T5. It is probably equipped similarly to the loaner you had, and I agree on most points. The ride is firm and controlled, but not harsh and the 5 cylinder has plenty of mid range pop along with a unique engine note.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
I am going to get one of these for a family member in the next few years. I do miss this gen T5 - don't have one at the moment and it really is the best 5 cylinder they made.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been thinking how comfortable the seats in that car was compared to those in the S80. I'll have to pick one up later, wife is taking about how comfortable it was and that she felt its a better fit for her than the S80. The Drive E was fine for test drives but the power and responsiveness is what got us both saying it was ok, the 5 cylinder is a whole other thing, maybe we'll look at a CC as she like something SUV-ish and that size fits her well.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Nice, the T5 is a joy indeed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts