SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 V70 R, OBX turbo back, 2014 S60 2.5 T5, IPD cat back
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Was on a long drive with my S60 today, and all of a sudden a check engine light along with a loud whine (can be heard in the video here) popped up. At first, there was nothing else wrong besides the whine. After a few hours of parking the car, the whole thing shut down while I was taking a turn at 4 miles per hour. It still made the 30 minute drive back home fine, but when I tried to plug in Vida and my scan tool, the car started slightly revving up and running rough (felt like a misfire). The codes that came up are below:

P0171 (system too lean, bank 1)

P0507 (Idle speed control system, RPM higher than expected)

P0744(88) (torque converter clutch solenoid - circuit intermittent)

I was wondering if anyone else has slipped upon this issue, and if so, what was the source of it. Thank you all in advance for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Is this a T5? Pull out the dipstick or remove the oil fill cap with the engine running. Does the whine stop? Do you notice massive vacuum on the engine? If so it is your PCV diaphragm that has torn. The PCV oil separator box isn't that hard to replace. Some of have replaced just the diaphragm, but when mine failed at 78k I replaced the whole separator unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 V70 R, OBX turbo back, 2014 S60 2.5 T5, IPD cat back
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this a T5? Pull out the dipstick or remove the oil fill cap with the engine running. Does the whine stop? Do you notice massive vacuum on the engine? If so it is your PCV diaphragm that has torn. The PCV oil separator box isn't that hard to replace. Some of have replaced just the diaphragm, but when mine failed at 78k I replaced the whole separator unit.
It is a T5! And mine is at around the same mileage as yours, only at 74k. I’ll order the whole kit from FCP euro and replace it during the weekend! I know it won’t be as big a **** and ball torture as the job on P2 Volvos. Took me 14 hours last year to do the PCV service on the V70R. Thank you so much for your help and have a great weekend!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
It is a T5! And mine is at around the same mileage as yours, only at 74k. I’ll order the whole kit from FCP euro and replace it during the weekend! I know it won’t be as big a **** and ball torture as the job on P2 Volvos. Took me 14 hours last year to do the PCV service on the V70R. Thank you so much for your help and have a great weekend!!!
Yes, much easier than P2. Basically you remove the airbox and then it's 4 bolts.

FCP euro has a good video of the job on a T5.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Did you have to do an oil change as well? If I can hold off on that, it would be very nice!
No you don't need to change the oil. Just do it with the front of the car on ramps or stands and you will loose very little oil, like maybe a tablespoon.

I used ramps when I did mine. And I had just changed the oil like 60 miles before the PCV failed, so I wasn't interested in changing it again. Also the new oil separator comes with a new filter and O ring. At least the genuine Volvo ones do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts