SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today marks 1 year of ownership on my 2014 S60. :) The car was a former service loaner, CPO with just under 3,000 miles when I bought it. I was leaning toward the S60 anyway, and the screaming deal I got was icing on the cake.

After 1 year, the car now has about 30,500 miles, and has so far alleviated my reliability concerns since it is my first European vehicle. It has been solid overall.

Observations:

1. This is a great road car, which is exactly what I need. Seats are comfortable, plenty of power, drives solidly and effortlessly on the highway.
2. I really like the 5 cylinder. It's different, makes a cool sound, and has lots of low end grunt. I've driven the 6 cylinder T6 cars, and that engine is truly sweet, but the 5 cylinder is more than adequate for my needs. I like the 5 cylinder more than the new Drive E T5 engine.
3. The transmission seems to be the weak point, from a dynamic perspective. Normal drive mode wants to get to top gear too quickly and sport mode is a little too jumpy and won't go into 6th. Something in between for normal drive mode would be ideal for me.
4. I like how there aren't one of these on every corner. There are not many P3 S60s in my area.
5. I have averaged just short of 28 mpg so far, which is in line with my expectations for this car. Best mileage for any tank was around 32 mpg.
6. The dealer experience has been very good, being able to drop the car off for any service and pick up a loaner has been very convenient. The only issue is that even though I live in a large metro area, I have to drive 25 miles to get to the nearest dealer.

Issues:

1. The only warranty issue was related to a shorted satellite radio module. This caused the entire infotainment system to go haywire at times.
2. I straddled a large chunk of asphalt in the road which ripped off a plastic panel under the car, exposing fuel lines which ended up hanging down. Fortunately this did not cause any serious damage.
3. The OEM Conti tires are terrible. They seem severely out of round. Fortunately the fronts are nearly shot so these will be replaced soon. I might make it to 40K, but that will be it. This day can't come soon enough.
4. The dealer doesn't know how much oil goes in the crankcase, it has come back overfilled by a quart or so every time I've had it back for scheduled maintenance. I will probably start doing my own oil changes now that I will have to pay for scheduled maintenance.

All in all, I'm very pleased. Normally I get bored with vehicles quickly, but I still enjoy driving this car. It's a much nicer place to spend time than any previous vehicle I've owned. I hope to keep it about 4 years, which for me will be around 110K. We'll see how it holds up as time goes on! This forum has been a great place to keep up with issues and observations on these cars, I'm glad I found it!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Congrats on 1 year. We had the same issue as you with 3 & 4. The Pirelli P7 Cinturato is a great replacement. The oil volume is 5.8 quarts. We were overfilled by the dealer 3 out of 4 oil changes.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Also very happy with our 2014 S60 T5. We also like the 5-cylinder for reliability and proven performance. We bought a 2015.5 V60CC so we would have two cars with the same engine and almost the same controls. It makes it easy to switch cars. This is what we have enjoyed with our two Saabs for the past 12 years.

We only have 9000 miles on our Contis but no problems so far and they seem to be wearing normally.

We have had zero issues with our 2014 S60. Absolutely love the car. No transmission performance issues. We had 5-speed autos in our Saab 9-5s so a 6-speed is a step up ;^)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Glad to hear you're enjoying your S60!

As for the Conti tires - I'm glad as hell that both my 2013 cane and my new 2016 will come with Michelins. I've manged to avoid the 14/15/15.5 with Contis :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also very happy with our 2014 S60 T5. We also like the 5-cylinder for reliability and proven performance. We bought a 2015.5 V60CC so we would have two cars with the same engine and almost the same controls. It makes it easy to switch cars. This is what we have enjoyed with our two Saabs for the past 12 years.

We only have 9000 miles on our Contis but no problems so far and they seem to be wearing normally.

We have had zero issues with our 2014 S60. Absolutely love the car. No transmission performance issues. We had 5-speed autos in our Saab 9-5s so a 6-speed is a step up ;^)
To clarify on the tires, they were OK for about 12K, then started to wobble. I did not realize that Volvo does not recommend tire rotations when I bought the car, so I didn't ask to have it done at the first service. I asked the second time (at about 16,500 miles) and had them rotated, but the wobbling sound was so bad that when I brought it back for the damage I caused to the under carriage shortly after this I had them put the tires back. Visually, they have worn normally, the fronts are slightly cupped and getting close to the wear bars. I will be buying the Pirelli's that many here have recommended when I replace the tires.

With the transmission, I don't think there is anything wrong with it, it just isn't as good as some other automatics I've driven. It can be caught flat footed and is quick to upshift/slow to downshift in normal drive mode. The new 8 speed is much better, and is one thing I like about the newer cars compared to mine.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
How did you manage that? Special order? Luck?
For 2013 I asked the dealer to swap out for a larger wheel/tires. For 2016 the 215/50R17 just come with Michelins.
By managing to avoid the other years I meant that I have the 2013 and I'll be getting a 2016.

I have to say that I never liked the 45 profile wheels, and especially not with Continentals on them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Appreciate the review...

I am about 8 months in on my 15' T5 AWD..

Its a great car.. I have had my share of problems, but to be honest if the dealer wasn't 100 miles away, It would not be as big of a deal to me..

Only a few major issues but nothing groundbreaking..

All in all I like the car and will be moving soon into 10mi proximity of a dealer so that will help.

C

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good reading. Thanks for taking the time. We are a couple months into our new S60. We too had a problem with one of the tires, a Continental.

We did have a bad tire, a Continental. Tire pressure warning came on. Right rear was low, very low. Oddly a leak was not found, but the tire had a "blister." I'm not sure who paid for it (not us), but a new tire was put on.

Other than that, it's been a pretty good experience. The car is a joy to drive, and we love the MPGs.

E

·
Registered
315 Posts
We've owned our 2014 S60 T5 AWD for 17 months now. 19.2k miles on the odometer. No issues whatsoever.
2014 was a good year for the S60 with the refresh (since 2011 introduction). I like the subtle design changes made for the 2014 including the new front end design with the DLR change and scooped hood design, integrated rear exhaust.
The 'quick shift' transmission mapping and the TFT display. We have Zero regrets on this purchase.

As part of the largest refresh in Volvo history, the S60 receives significant changes for 2014 including dramatic new front styling that accelerates its sporty character, interior upgrades that make it even more rewarding and comfortable to drive, newly available leading-edge safety technologies and a wide spectrum of equipment enhancements that make it an even stronger value.

Dynamic New Design Captures Attention
The front of the S60 has been redesigned sporting all-new exterior panels from the A-pillars forward including a new hood, front fenders and fascia. A wider grille with a larger Ironmark is flanked by new headlights while a larger, wider lower front intake gains bright accents and horizontally mounted LED daytime running lights. At the rear, new LED light guides on the taillights and new integrated exhaust pipes contribute to the more powerful road presence and self-confident stance.

Scandinavian design is exemplified by beautiful, simple shapes and surfaces with any unnecessary clutter removed. This is evident in the redesigned exterior and interior of the S60. Inside, the attention to detail, the authentic materials, such as wood and leather, and the easy to use controls contributes to the in-command driving experience.

Shift Priorities Whenever the Urge Strikes
In keeping with its character as the sportiest and most dynamic Volvo ever, the S60 is the first Volvo carline to receive paddle shifters. Standard on T6 AWD and R-Design models and available on T5, paddle shifters let the driver shift manually with both hands on the steering wheel. All models also receive a new shift knob for the floor shifter with piano black background and illuminated symbols for increased visibility in low light.

New Advanced Quick Shift is designed to increase the S60's performance potential. When Sport Mode is selected or when using paddle shifters on T6 AWD and R-Design, new software mapping improves gear change speed by 20-30 percent on third to sixth gears and up to 50 percent faster from first to second gear. Acceleration from 0 to 60 mph drops by 0.2 seconds to 5.5 seconds for T6 AWD and 5.3 seconds for T6 R-Design.

Outstanding Comfort and Convenience
All-new instrument clusters help the driver stay informed of the S60's dynamic capabilities. The base T5 receives a contemporary analog cluster. A new adaptive digital display is standard on T5 Premier, Premier Plus and Platinum trim levels plus all T6 AWD and R-Design models. The easy-to-read Thin Film Transistor (TFT) design allows drivers to select from three different themes:
Elegance has a traditional appearance with a large, circular speedometer bordered by secondary displays.
Eco features green background illumination with an Eco meter displayed on the left.
Performance has red background illumination for a more dynamic look. A tachometer replaces the speedometer while vehicle speed is shown digitally. The right display includes a power meter gauge that informs the driver how much power is available and how much is being used at any given moment.
Volvo's long-standing tradition for providing supportive and comfortable seats to help reduce fatigue on long drives continues for 2014 with new design sport seats, standard on T6 AWD and available on T5 with the optional Sport Package. As the perfect addition to the in-command feel of a true driver's car, these seats provide added side support from the thighs to the shoulders to help keep the driver firmly in position in quick corners.

Detail changes that enhance the S60's cabin ambience include new cloth-covered B-pillars, metal trim around air vents, a silver décor frame for the headlight module, a Quartz headliner, white illumination in buttons replacing green and new front door sill plates.

New standard features for the S60 T5 base model include 17-inch Pandora alloy wheels. The Premier trim level gains 17-inch Sadia alloys, bright side window trim and adaptive digital TFT display. Premier Plus receives a rear park assist camera, grocery bag holder in the trunk and a quick-fold front passenger seat. Power-retracting, auto-dimming outside mirrors and cabin accent lighting are now included on the Platinum trim. A new optional 18-inch Sport Package for T5 features sport seats, paddle shifters, 18-inch Titania alloy wheels and Dynamic Chassis.

·
Registered
265 Posts
loco did you cut and paste a review from a magazine or something? Link the article if you can.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good reading. Thanks for taking the time. We are a couple months into our new S60. We too had a problem with one of the tires, a Continental.

We did have a bad tire, a Continental. Tire pressure warning came on. Right rear was low, very low. Oddly a leak was not found, but the tire had a "blister." I'm not sure who paid for it (not us), but a new tire was put on.

Other than that, it's been a pretty good experience. The car is a joy to drive, and we love the MPGs.

E
I have to admit this was a concern I had from the beginning since the car does not have a spare, but I have not had any structural problems with the tires at least. They just are loud and manage to make smooth roads feel rough.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For 2013 I asked the dealer to swap out for a larger wheel/tires. For 2016 the 215/50R17 just come with Michelins.
By managing to avoid the other years I meant that I have the 2013 and I'll be getting a 2016.

I have to say that I never liked the 45 profile wheels, and especially not with Continentals on them.
I agree with this, the 17" wheel with the 45 series tires (mine has the Sadia wheel, 235/45R17) looks a bit small and doesn't fill out the wheel wells. The larger 18 and 19" options look better, but durability is better with the 17". I had a 2016 loaner and was surprised to see that they went with a much less aggressive wheel/tire package on the Premier level cars.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have to admit this was a concern I had from the beginning since the car does not have a spare, but I have not had any structural problems with the tires at least. They just are loud and manage to make smooth roads feel rough.
Very true. Bugged me too, but perhaps I am too old skola. With our Allstate Road Protection and Volvo's, I feel covered. Since it's my wife's car, should she get a flat, it's not like she's going to change it. Still, if we were on a trip, I would have liked the spare. However, when I saw how much room it took up (ridiculous design), we passed on the option.

We'll see how it goes. At least it's not the very pricey "run flat" tires.

Merry Christmas, Eric

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Considering how "great" roads in NJ are, 17" wheels with 45 profile tires is just not a great idea.
Yes, tons of cars drive with tires like that. And yes, 50 profile is not that much different.
But having the choice between the two - I'll take the 50s. Ride is much smoother and I think they look pretty decent (even if they do look small-ish).

If I lived somewhere with better roads, I'd go for 19" wheels without a question. They look amazing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts