SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the insulation on the wiring inside my original headlights has essentially turned to dust, and has cause them to work intermittently. With this in mind I decided to purchase new headlights, and had noticed that the 2014+ assemblies had a much sleeker led accent in between the High and Low beam. Throwing caution to the winds (and given there was no price difference) i purchased the newer style to replace my old ones. I am happy to report they work perfectly and look excellent.

Registered
Did you go for the 2014 or 2015-2016 headlight? The 2014 one is the only one that has the new LED parking light you're talking about but still has the "old" orange position light. Starting 2015 the light is white (but orange when turned on I believe.)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you go for the 2014 or 2015-2016 headlight? The 2014 one is the only one that has the new LED parking light you're talking about but still has the "old" orange position light. Starting 2015 the light is white (but orange when turned on I believe.)
I wasn't aware there was any difference between the 2014 and 2015 but I purchased the 2014 assemblies

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Registered
So the insulation on the wiring inside my original headlights has essentially turned to dust, and has cause them to work intermittently. With this in mind I decided to purchase new headlights, and had noticed that the 2014+ assemblies had a much sleeker led accent in between the High and Low beam. Throwing caution to the winds (and given there was no price difference) i purchased the newer style to replace my old ones. I am happy to report they work perfectly and look excellent. Link to pictures below.

https://goo.gl/photos/yrMJBQx7XiiQpHn76

I'll also grab some night shots tonight and add them to the album
Can you provide a link to where you purchased these?

Registered
Nice. Cost? Any way to rewire the old headlights?
Kinda made it sound like it was "plug-n-play". I hope that's true as my headlights are badly road-rashed out at 192K miles (fog lights as well).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice. Cost? Any way to rewire the old headlights?
Cost is ridiculous if I'm honest, if mine weren't dying I wouldn't have done it. With shipping to my door it came out to a little under $800. Also, yes they were plug and play.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you provide a link to where you purchased these?
I ordered them from tascaparts.com the part numbers for the halogen assemblies are 31353324 (left) and 31353325 (right)

Registered
$800 sounds alright. The xenon ones are a bit more of a punch to the groin at around $1100-1200, retail price in Sweden. EACH! And yeah, the LED parking light is cool and all but should it fail outside of warranty you'll need to either do a lot of work to swap it (non-replaceable unless you do some cutting I believe) or shelf out the money for a new assembly. (Edit: I think they're required to pass the MOT in Sweden, at least it might be hard to not have it noticed if you run the 2014+ DRL setup).

But yeah I'd still want a set of the 2014 ones. I do like the look of the LED parking light.

Registered
looking to replace beat up old lamps on the wife's '09 S80 (halogen) anyone have any comparison pic of the 2014 vs 2015-16? wondering what would be a better option.

Registered
2014: http://carsgizmo.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2014-Volvo-s80-Redesign.jpg
2015+: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/A70FqGYMt58/maxresdefault.jpg

Personally though, I think the 2014 ones are the best looking. But since you have halogens, I don't think the LED parking light seems to be as visible with the low beams turned on as if you have xenons. Which, in my opinion, makes them less interesting to get. Especially since you don't have the LED DRL's that came with the 2014+ cars. I'd look for a set of used ones and go with which-ever pair has the fewest miles ( = best lenses, probably) at the lowest cost. So if you're not going for 2015+ ones, go with which-ever ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts