SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Swedespeed.

Im very new here and do apologize if the topic has been answered already.

Anyway, here goes. A few days ago i Stumbled upon a video on Youtube where a Canadian very easily retrofits his XC70 with the updated (2011+) grill with a larger emblem. (Guess you have seen it already, if not: link here)

My car has the old original 2009 grill. I have been to the accessories page on Volvocars.com and found that you can easily order the larger emblem grill from there. However, I have sort of fallen in love with the chrome look on the 2014+ facelifted model. Partially anyways, I dont really like the chrome stripes between the fog lights, so I would like to avoid a complete replacement of the front bumper.

My question is therefore. Do you reckon it would be possible to order and install just the grill from the 2014+ model on my 2009 model or do i have to replace the entire front bumper (including the new chrome stripes below the grill)?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I hope I am not double-posting in here.

- Clemens

Registered
I'm sure it's possible, technically. It's just not a plug and play fit like the updated grille is on the original bumper. I know some people managed to install the old R grille, which is a bit smaller, on the original bumpers. No clue how though.

As for the chrome fog light strips it's only available on some higher spec'd cars. Not sure what packages you get in the states but over here some models have them color coded so look out for one of those bumpers instead.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, okay, that explains why its not readily available on the accessories website. If it makes any difference the car in question is from Denmark (Europe) and equipped with Summum, which i believe is the highest available spec in this country. We didn't get the executive level, probably due to the excessive taxes on cars here.

It does however sound encouraging that it is possible. I would like to avoid the new bumper altogether. Both due to the chrome, but even if color coded i like the look of the old fog light trim better. So essentially the optimal solution would be the new grille on the old bumper.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input twice :) Though I'm not going to completely re-trim the car, merely the front grill.. Its a matter of taste I guess, and as we all know, taste is subjective.

Registered
I have a 2007 S80 and I sort of agree with crossingcountries. Or did... I'm very unsure. When I got my car I decided I wasn't going to do the usual upgrades that "everyone" do to their cars. The usual recipe is the new V O L V O-emblem on the trunk, new grille, chrome fog light trims and other chrome upgrades and so on. I did however grow tired of not touching the car and the more I saw the newer cars the more I felt I was missing out. Doing some upgrades doesn't necessitate doing all of them, basically. I've got the new 2014+ LED tail-lights on order and I swapped out the old logo for the wider volvo one and I can't say I have any regrets. Also installed the fog light chrome trims and I plan on swapping the grille too, at some point.

The XC70 is probably the easiest to do a full facelift on anyway. The new 2014+ grille is a direct fit whereas for the V70/S80 you'd need to swap the whole front bumper. Same goes for the 60-series except there you apparently have to swap the hood (and fenders, not sure?) to fit the bumper to get the new look. All of the cars but the XC70 also got new rear bumpers whereas the XC70 can have the new look by swapping partly the fog light trims (they are interchangeable, yes) and the similar trims around the reflexes on the rear bumper. And then there's the tail-lights that are expensive but they're changed on all models to LED ones so no dodging that if you want the 2014 look.

But err, end of ranting. As for your V70, clemens2205, regarding fitting the new grille on the old bumper I'd just scratch that idea. it is possible as I said but in those cases people basically rebuilt the spoiler around the grille to fit the new one. Which means cutting and rebuilding. If you're familiar with that, go ahead. If not, I'd just save up the money for the bumper. If you have something like bildelsbasen.se in denmark, look that up. If some badly rear-ended car is scrapped there should be some front bumpers up for grabs. Haven't seen too many 2014 models overall though, unfortunately.

Registered
Thank you for being so honest about it! Nice message... We upgrade cause we dont all ( me neither ) have money to buy the 16+ model.

���� XC70 2011 D5 ����

Registered
If you like the look, do it. That's half the fun. In my 08 XC70, I upgraded the console & armrest from an S80, put in an R steering wheel, and changed out the inane rear booster seat, and I'm a happy guy. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Realy? Guess its all about how you feel...

For those of us old enough to remember the '80s and '90s (that's most of us, right?), the 2011 Volvo XC70 is a time machine, a throwback to the days when Volvo wagons were the quintessential premium family vehicle. Doctors drove them on weekend trips, tenured professors nursed them along for decades and car-crazed kids always looked for the "Turbo" badge on the back. These days, of course, there are countless premium family vehicles, almost all of which are SUVs of some sort. But there was something special about Volvo wagons back in the day. Our roads aren't quite the same without them.

Registered
Not sure where you're going with that, but I agree with most of it. Like my ancestors, I drove GM wagons for 35 years, with increasing frustration. Once I got a taste of Volvo I never looked back (1st was 98 V70XC). As an engineer, I appreciate the mechanics & durability of the car and of course, the comfort. As a hobbyist, I enjoyed customizing it a bit, not a lot. I just thought you guys were being a little hard on Clemens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all so much for the input. I guess, seeing as the entire front bumper has to be changed, its not really worth it. I'll find a more manageable place to start. Like the new tail lights ;)

Anyway, I have another issue that you may know something about. I have the Dynaudio hifi system with Rear Seat Entertainment and apple iPod/USB connection. However, the cable is the old one used in the old iPhones. I desperately want to stream music from my iPhone 6. There's two options:
1. Using the AUX input. However, that means the controls on the steering wheel doesn't work + the damn input has an annoying humming sound whenever the phone is not connected. When the phone is connected the sound quality is hideous.
2. Trying to figure out a way to upgrade the USB-cable to the new Apple Lightning cable. Hopefully that means i can use the steering wheel controls as well. Do you know if its possible to connect the new cable somehow?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts