SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I looked through the stickies on this sub and just wanted to ask a general question.

Is there anything to particularly look for or stay away from on a 2014 to 2015.5 AWD XC60? It would probably be with around 60-75k miles and looking to last awhile with normal maintainence.

I'm hesitant with the 4 cylinder Drive-E engines, so I'd probably be looking at the 6 cylinder 3L model.

Thanks!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hey,

I looked through the stickies on this sub and just wanted to ask a general question.

Is there anything to particularly look for or stay away from on a 2014 to 2015.5 AWD XC60? It would probably be with around 60-75k miles and looking to last awhile with normal maintainence.

I'm hesitant with the 4 cylinder Drive-E engines, so I'd probably be looking at the 6 cylinder 3L model.

Thanks!
Look for a vehicle with an active CPO warranty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
798 Posts
CPO warranty is worthwhile if you can get it. Also check if the vehicle has the RDAR software update plus the 2.0 update. I believe you are entitled to these, but my Volvo dealer said they won’t install them just because you ask. You need to have an actual problem for which they will charge a diagnostic fee, or you need to be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Hey,

Thanks!
2015-2016s Drive -E's falling under X rage for engine serial numbers have the potential for needing new piston rings. Not sure the number of vehicles that have failed, but I'd say there's at least a sizeable sample size. Be it the minority.

So if you pick up a 2015, I'd slap on an extended warranty.

·
Registered
13,507 Posts
The '15.5 cars have upgraded Sensus that has navigation standard. The upgraded Sensus gives you the ability to have the Volvo app on your phone and pay for the subscription service for remote start, driving log, etc. It's kind of neat but I'm too cheap to pay for the service.

Just look for the little globe symbol on the upper right corner of the center stack to see if you're looking at a '15 or '15.5. It can be a little confusing when looking at cars as they're all listed as '15.

Nothing to shy away from with respect to '14 and '15 cars, by then the model had been out for quite some time. The '15 model year was really short - most of the cars you will see for sale will be '15.5.

We have a '15.5 car and after some early years issues it's settled down and will be a long term keeper. Only thing I wish I had done differently was look for a car with the upgraded headlights. The standard headlights are just okay.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While CPO and extended warranties are nice, I tend to not think they are worth it in terms of service. They are normally a couple thousand extra in my experience. Do you all recommend them because you've used them to repair stuff in particular? Because that's what I'm asking this question for.

Thanks for the info on the Drive-E engines. I know there is a TJ out about oil consumption; which is a reason enough to avoid them for the 2015 year when the 6 cylinder doesn't appear to have that issue.

Also, as far as upgraded headlights, I agree! Were xenons only offered on Platinum trim? Or do they come with a certain package?

Thanks for the info on the Sensus and how to spot navigation.

Wayne T5 - what early issues did you have and why do you see it as a long-term keeper (because it's just been regular maintenance since?)

·
Registered
775 Posts
While CPO and extended warranties are nice, I tend to not think they are worth it in terms of service. They are normally a couple thousand extra in my experience. Do you all recommend them because you've used them to repair stuff in particular? Because that's what I'm asking this question for.

Thanks for the info on the Drive-E engines. I know there is a TJ out about oil consumption; which is a reason enough to avoid them for the 2015 year when the 6 cylinder doesn't appear to have that issue.

Also, as far as upgraded headlights, I agree! Were xenons only offered on Platinum trim? Or do they come with a certain package?

Wayne T5 - what early issues did you have and why do you see it as a long-term keeper (because it's just been regular maintenance since?)
My V60RD has had all 4 rotors and pads, transmission, front differential, a/c line for technical journal upgrade, front drivers seat, and various other things replaced under warranty with a CPO. Now I don't think these are typical for other people but my experience has definitely made me appreciate the CPO. My gf just bought an XC60 with a CPO and we have used it so far for rear brakes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. That's what I was looking for. In that case, yes, CPO worked out for you. While brakes are consumables at a normal interval, obviously the front seat, front diff, and transmission, shouldn't be.

Glad you got all that stuff taken care of.

What year and trim did you get the XC60 in?

·
Registered
7,825 Posts

I know 2012's had the same oil consumption problems, too. Don't know about the 2014's.

You'll be able to tell immediately whether you're in a 15.5 or newer because the sensus system has:

1. Navigaton button on center console
2. Globe Icon on Center Console which will tack you to Apps

No car is perfect. I've had my fare share of issues on a 2015.5 FWD Drive-E S60, too (replaced under factory warranty). CPO kicks in in a few days.

A. Backup Camera was functioning erratically. Four attempts, including new Camera + New Wire Harness + New Seal + 2 software updates to resolve.
B. Gearshift Knob enamel Cracked (Common Issue)
C. Rear View mirror Clouded Over and needed replaced (dealer claimed this was a new issue they'd not seen)
D. Driver's Side folding mirror motor died. Car sounded like a jet enagine.

Outstanding issues:

On my 50,000 mile visit here in the next 2-3 months, I plan to raise:

A. My driver side and passenger side window are fogging. Want dealer to check the weather stripping and replace.
B. Gas cap was sticking in very cold temps (going to be hard to prove now). But I'll ask.

Overall.... I'm happy with my car thus far (3 years of ownership), but there will always be issues to work out. Few cars ever roll off the assembly line 100% problem free.

·
Registered
13,507 Posts

I think xenon's were part of the Platinum or were even optional on top of that. I don't recall.

We had a half dozen or so problems in the first three years of ownership - all of which have been resolved now and nothing has cropped up in the past 18 months or so. IIRC, battery, rear parking sensor, one of the front drive shafts, head unit, rear camera and another item that I can't recall. It may sound like a lot and when we were dealing with the issues I was disappointed but they've now been addressed and nothing new has popped up so I'm good (for now, lol).

Long term keeper because we bought the car new so paid a healthy amount for it, car doesn't get a lot of miles so it makes more sense to keep it or hand it off to a family member than get a lousy trade-in offer. It's more or less a known commodity at this point which is a plus. Only 10k services now, so once per year for us. Next on the list will be rear brakes.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for your help and advice.

Ended up getting a 2015.5 XC60 T6!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts