SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I currently own a 2013 XC90 with factory ABL Headlamps and LED Daytime Running Lights.

Here's my question. Next to the ABL's there are the halogen hi-beams. From what I've been able to research these lights (although having bulbs installed) are dummies. They are purely cosmetic and have no useful purpose. When activating the hi-beams the ABL's simply tip themselves up and act as the hi-beams, no matter what position the headlight knob is in.

Here's what I would like to do. Use these lights somehow.
They would be a great additional source of illumination on the deserted back roads. My thinking is wouldn't it be nice if I could get the auxiliary lighting switch installed in the dash and have these "dummies" wired to it.

I'm just fishing for some ideas or any further knowledge on the subject. It seems so odd that Volvo would leave these lights just to do nothing. What I'm imagining is that it's was simply cheaper to just stuff the ABL's in the old Halogen Holes than completely redesign the headlamp enclosure.

If anyone thinks these halogen hi-beams should in theory be working and they're just not, please let me know. I'll take it back to the dealer

Perhaps someone might have a suggestion or some info on the subject.

Thanks in advance

Fasthackem

·
Registered
440 Posts
In your post, what does ABL refer to? I test drove a 2013 XC90 (Plat. Plus Pkg.) last night with factory Active Dual Xenons and discrete Halogen High Beams. The high beams were not Bi-Xenons like on my V70R. Very impressive illumination at night with both the xenons and the high beams.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I thought someone posted that the halogens were actually fog lights in the newer XC90's, that is that the fog lights had been deleted from the front bumper/ air dam. I think ABL is (Active Bending Lights). An interesting thought/rabbit hole: In the US you are supposed to burn your headlights in inclement weather, the problem with this is that in dense Fog the less light the further you can see because less light is being reflected by the water vapor. When I lived in the country I would often switch to just parking lights and fog lights on dense fogy nights/ early mornings, I could see a lot further than I could with the low beams on (I did not have to worry about a COP pulling me over for not using my headlights at night). Now that we have moved to HID lights, the amount of light produced is considerably more than the 50W Halogen low beams used to produce. Thus in dense Fog the HIDs make it harder to see than the older Halogens. If it is true that Volvo mounted the Fog lights in the Headlight panel, perhaps your local LEO would allow you to burn just your Fog lights in dense Fog making it safer to drive.

·
Registered
293 Posts
To the OP,

Are you sure the halogen's are not used?

I have two XC70's (2004 and 2013 with ABL Xenon's) and both activate the projector shutter and activate the halogens for high beam.

Also, when flashing high beams w/o lights on, the xenon take too long to warm up you flash the halogens only.

I would double-check your lights on high beam, the xenons tend to drown out the halogen, but I would expect them to come on.
I don't have an XC90 to confirm.

Andres

·
Registered
564 Posts
It's different in 2013 XC90's. What was the fog lights are now DRL's (at least in US/CAN). We've discussed this before...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2013 XC-90 and have tried for weeks to determine what is the function of the inter light in front. I am glad to learn that someone determined they were dummy’s. My dealership first said I had a bad control module and then decided I had a wiring problem.
The owners manual says these are high beam, but if you check the bulb, it is a fog light bulb. I agree with the person who said they were dummy’s. Does anyone have any information about these lights?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have a 2013 XC-90 and have tried for weeks to determine what is the function of the inter light in front. I am glad to learn that someone determined they were dummy’s. My dealership first said I had a bad control module and then decided I had a wiring problem.
The owners manual says these are high beam, but if you check the bulb, it is a fog light bulb. I agree with the person who said they were dummy’s. Does anyone have any information about these lights?
If you check my post history, you'll find a few threads that I've started on the topic.
I've wired mine into a self-made version of the OEM auxiliary headlight harness.

They came in real handy the past two nights when driving on unlit highway early in the morning when no other cars were on the road and unlit country roads. I spotted a few deer eyes well in advance due to their wider beam pattern.

You'll also see in my post history how I modified the P2 alarm de-activation button into the AUX lighting button that's only available for order individually in Europe.

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XC90 3.2L
313 Posts
I can't find my thread on swedespeed but here's my thread on MVS: DIY P2 Auxiliary Headlight Switch
Interesting on modifying the switch - what does removing the diode do? How did you know which to remove to make it act like the fog light accessory switch?

From my understanding, each of these switches (that fit below the radio) send a different CAN message to be interpreted by modules on the CANbus. I'm not sure how that's handled, whether by diodes or resistors or otherwise.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Interesting on modifying the switch - what does removing the diode do? How did you know which to remove to make it act like the fog light accessory switch?

From my understanding, each of these switches (that fit below the radio) send a different CAN message to be interpreted by modules on the CANbus. I'm not sure how that's handled, whether by diodes or resistors or otherwise.
You're correct if you add one more step before the button press is converted to a CAN message - the "processing" of the button press is handled by the CCM (Climate Control Module). The buttons are connected to a "backplane" of switch sockets on the CCM PCB. The CCM handles the debouncing and binary input to CAN conversion. Any button can be placed in any socket. The diode configuration tells the CCM which switch is inserted into which socket.

There were a few people before me who tried to ask for pictures of what the diode configuration for the AUX light switch - no one posted pictures. IIRC I took a guess based on some P2 switch images posted on a Russian Volvo site. Since I have done this experiment, others have followed and created walkthroughs. IIRC the Russian site now has the complete listing of all switch diode configurations.

Someone summarized the diode configurations as so (I Googled this quickly):
  • Rear A/C (01011)
  • Window Locks (01111)
  • DSTC (11101)
  • Park Assist (11001)
  • Interior Alarm Sensitivity (10011)
  • AUX lights (00011)
  • Folding Mirrors (01001)

Another reason why I chose the Interior Alarm Sensitivity button is that I only had to remove one diode vs adding/moving diodes.

Reactions: Monocog007

·
Registered
2014 XC90 3.2L
313 Posts
That's actually super helpful, thank you very much! I have some spare CCM buttons that I could resolder to be an aux light switch on my XC90.

Now I've got another project!

·
Registered
17,736 Posts
Switch is $30 just FYI

·
Registered
520 Posts
Switch is $30 just FYI
It shows up as available for 30$ but you cannot purchase it anymore outside of the kit (at least when I've tried to purchase it in North America the last few times).

The dealers get an error when trying to place the order ("Contact your local retailer for more information."):

I've had an eBay alert for 31288619 but never had any hits in the last 4-5 years.

You can purchase it in Europe and send it over via a shipping service:

·
Registered
17,736 Posts
It shows up as available for 30$ but you cannot purchase it anymore outside of the kit (at least when I've tried to purchase it in North America the last few times).

The dealers get an error when trying to place the order ("Contact your local retailer for more information."):

I've had an eBay alert for 31288619 but never had any hits in the last 4-5 years.

You can purchase it in Europe and send it over via a shipping service:
Haven’t had that problem.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Haven’t had that problem.
Where did you order yours from? Do they ship to Canada?
I have only tried ordering from Canadian and US dealers close to the border.

·
Registered
17,736 Posts
Where did you order yours from? Do they ship to Canada?
I have only tried ordering from Canadian and US dealers close to the border.
Local dealer. However, I have a rather special arrangement with parts. Would you like me to see if we can get another?

·
Registered
2014 XC90 3.2L
313 Posts
I was able to make an "aux light" switch out of a "rear ac" switch I had - just had to remove D2! Nice and easy. Also put a small charcoal colored piece of vinyl over the button, so now it's just blank.

Has anyone figured out what the correct male Delphi connector is? For the aux light connection near the airbox? If not, I will cut and crimp on some AMP connectors that I know I have.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Local dealer. However, I have a rather special arrangement with parts. Would you like me to see if we can get another?
That would be amazing! Thanks so much!
No rush, next time you're asking for parts (since I already have a working switch).

I was able to make an "aux light" switch out of a "rear ac" switch I had - just had to remove D2! Nice and easy. Also put a small charcoal colored piece of vinyl over the button, so now it's just blank.

Has anyone figured out what the correct male Delphi connector is? For the aux light connection near the airbox? If not, I will cut and crimp on some AMP connectors that I know I have.
Check my post history again, I found the exact connector from an auto recycler. My DIY harness looks identical to the OEM one and plugs into the OEM plug in the engine bay.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Auxiliary light switch PN is 31288619 as noted earlier, still seeing a couple European sellers with stock.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts