SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Administrator
55,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's new: 2013 Volvo S60

S60 T5
2.5-liter inline five-cylinder engine improvements include increased compression ratio from 9.0:1 to 9.5:1 and 16 percent increase in turbo boost pressure to 15 psi resulting in quicker acceleration from 0-60 mph of 6.4 seconds (previously 6.8 seconds) with standard front-wheel drive
Standard rain sensor windshield wipers
Standard headlight washers
Standard dual polished exhaust pipes
Volvo Sensus gains increased steering-wheel scroll control functionality
New gearshift knob for six-speed "Geartronic" automatic transmission with illuminated drive modes
Tunnel Detection added to headlights
Optional All-Wheel Drive with Instant Traction
Optional heated rear seats
New trim level strategy
New Premier trim level includes power glass moonroof, leather seating surfaces, Keyless Drive with Personal Car Communicator (PCC), power passenger seat, auto-dimming rear view mirror and Accessory Prep cable
New Premier Plus trim level (includes Premier content) adds active dual Xenon headlights, front and rear park assist, Homelink remote garage door opener and compass in rear view mirror
New Platinum trim level (includes Premier Plus content) adds Volvo Premium Sound System, Navigation System with Voice Control and Map Care and rear park assist camera
Technology Package gains Road Sign Information (RSI) and Active High Beam
Multimedia, Premium and Dynamic packages deleted
New exterior color choices: Ember Black Metallic, Electric Silver Metallic

S60 T6 AWD
Standard power passenger seat
Standard Keyless Drive with Personal Car Communicator (PCC)
Standard power glass moonroof
New gearshift knob for six-speed "Geartronic" automatic transmission with illuminated drive modes
New trim level strategy
New Premier Plus trim level includes active dual Xenon headlights, front and rear park assist, Homelink remote garage door opener, compass in rear view mirror and Accessory Prep cable
New Platinum trim level (includes Premier Plus content) adds Volvo Premium Sound System, Navigation System with Voice Control and Map Care and rear park assist camera
Multimedia and Premium packages deleted
New exterior color choice: Ember Black Metallic

S60 T6 R-Design AWD
Front disc brake diameter increased from 12.4 inches to 13.2 inches
Standard Accessory Prep cable
New trim level strategy
New Platinum trim level includes Volvo Premium Sound System, Navigation System with Voice Control and Map Care and rear park assist camera
Multimedia Package deleted
New exterior color choice: Rebel Blue Metallic

Climate Package
Heated front seats
Heated windshield washer nozzles
Interior Air Quality System (IAQS)

Technology Package
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Queue Assist
Collision Warning with Full Auto Brake (CWAB)
Pedestrian Detection with Full Auto Brake
Distance Alert (DA)
Driver Alert Control (DAC)
Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
Road Sign Information (RSI)
Active High Beam

Stand Alone Options
Metallic paint
All Wheel Drive with Instant Traction (T5 trims only)
Blind Spot Information System (BLIS)
Urbane Wood inlays (T5 and T6 trims only)
FOUR-C (Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept) Active Chassis (T6 AWD)
17-inch "Njord" alloy wheels (T5 and T6 trims only)
18-inch "Sleipner" alloy wheels (T5 trims only)
18-inch "Ixion" alloy wheels with performance/summer tires (T6 R-Design trims only)
Front and rear park assist (T6 R-Design trims only)
Dual screen Rear Entertainment System

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks Chris...very good info!

·
Registered
80 Posts
There's another stand-alone option; at least on my 2013 S60 T5 AWD and in updated ordering information the dealer had: Trunk Spoiler at $375. It's the same as the dealer-installed one.

·
Registered
248 Posts
so reading between the lines,
"New Premier Plus trim level (includes Premier content) adds active dual Xenon headlights, front and rear park assist, Homelink remote garage door opener and compass in rear view mirror"
means Homelink and the mirror compass is being REMOVED from the Premium level trim of 2012

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I wonder if this means true automatic headlights or would this just turn on the headlights if DRL is disabled?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
How does the higher compression ratio affect tuners? There aren't any T5 tunes out yet. Would this kill all beta tunes that aftermarket tuning companies are making? Plus how is it that a increase in boost pressure does not lead to an increase in HP and Torque numbers?

Regarding the new "Volvo Sensus gains increased steering-wheel scroll control functionality," don't we already have that? I can scroll through Sensus using my steering wheel already and I'm on Sensus 2.0....

·
Administrator
55,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could not find the DRL on/off, like in our 2011 long-term. Aside from that we didn't play much with Sensus 3.0 - we looked at the trip stats once, pretty neat.

Other little changes I noticed:
- The shift knob now pulls toward the driver versus away to the passenger side for Sport/Manual mode.
- The leather grain is smoother/less texture.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't know how it was on the 2011s, but the first position on the light switch for the 2013s (marked "0") is for the DRLs on and high-beam flash; there's no DRL-off position. However, in U.S. cars (not Canadian), you can turn off the DRLs in the Settings section of the MY CAR menu.

I love the Stats too, but I've already annoyed my wife by using the data to analyze her driving. :p

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
How does the higher compression ratio affect tuners? There aren't any T5 tunes out yet. Would this kill all beta tunes that aftermarket tuning companies are making? Plus how is it that a increase in boost pressure does not lead to an increase in HP and Torque numbers?

Regarding the new "Volvo Sensus gains increased steering-wheel scroll control functionality," don't we already have that? I can scroll through Sensus using my steering wheel already and I'm on Sensus 2.0....
I'm guessing that it actually DOES create a small increase in HP/torque figures but Volvo doesn't want the T5 getting T6 customers due to encroachment.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Other little changes I noticed:
- The shift knob now pulls toward the driver versus away to the passenger side for Sport/Manual mode.
That's a shame. My '04 Passat was this way. I like to rest my hand on the gear shifter and found myself constantly pulling into sport more (on that car it was manual mode) when veering right or on right turns which was very annoying, so much so, that I had to retrain myself to not leave my hand on the gear shifter. My next car was the opposite configuration, like on the '11,'12 S60, and I find no issues at all with this orientation.

Also a little disappointed with the new gear shifter. Wasn't there a pic in a thread here that showed a single digit display for the selected gear in the center of the shifter? But it is better looking than the big black sore thumb of the previous model years. This was one of the first things that I changed.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That's a shame. My '04 Passat was this way. I like to rest my hand on the gear shifter and found myself constantly pulling into sport more (on that car it was manual mode) when veering right or on right turns which was very annoying, so much so, that I had to retrain myself to not leave my hand on the gear shifter. My next car was the opposite configuration, like on the '11,'12 S60, and I find no issues at all with this orientation.
I remember when everyone was complaining about sport mode being on the right and how it was counter-intuitive. I also think the new set up is better, at least you won't have to stretch your arm out to do the shifting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dealer told us it's still 18 mph for 2013.
I believe that's only for the new V40.
I couldn't find where on these forums I saw it before, but the Volvo PR claims city safety now works at speeds up to 31 mph. I wonder if earlier models can get this improvement via software update?

http://www.swedespeed.com/artman2/publish/Volvo_News/Model_Overview_2013_Volvo_S60.html

"The S60's standard safety systems include City Safety, another world-first technology that made its debut on the Volvo XC60. City Safety is a driver support system aimed at preventing or mitigating collisions with a vehicle ahead occurring at speeds of 31 mph or less. It utilizes a closing velocity sensor to help determine whether a collision is likely. Depending on the closing speed, City Safety will either pre-charge the brakes or automatically brake the S60 to help avoid a rear-end collision or lessen its impact."

·
Registered
80 Posts
The owner's manual says City Safety is active from approximately 2 mph to approximately 30 mph.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wonder if earlier models can get this improvement via software update?
I'd love to know that too...is it part of the Sensus 3.0 software? Andbody heard anything about this yet?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
While it's nice to see the upgrades to the S60, I wish that something was done about the Geartronic's shift-logic. Oh well. Maybe Volvo will introduce their (upcoming) 8-Speed auto with the S60 next year?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts